• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Outrageous cases are easy. Creative application of laws in order to advance political or even merely personal goals is the threat. People are weak. The only safeguard is to write down things as "Government shall not do X, ever, ever, ever, and we really mean it."
When reviewing our Act , they wanted to give us very broad powers and had basically cut and paste stuff from another Act. It was pleasing that all of us frontline regulatory staff objected to the scope of the powers they wanted to give us as we felt they were excessive to our needs. There are people in government that are quite willing and happy to impose stuff on others and then others who are to lazy to carefully craft legislation and will erode the rights of citizenship via cut and paste regulations. Governments are like toddlers and require constant supervision to prevent them from doing something naughty.

It was clearly airborne long before the CDC etc admitted it.
Frankly the PPE issue was worldwide. Frankly I belief the first line workers in healthcare needed it vastly more than anyone else. But also it’s a virus, the easiest solution would have been a 1 week warning followed by a utter lock down for two weeks.

But as we as a species are too selfish that wasn’t done, and the dominos fell.
Along with shutting down all air travel for a few months

The EA did not go too far; it was specific, measured, and temporary.

The Minister of Public Safety is on record as stating the Police did not ask for the EA. The Commissioner of the RCMP, whom many consider an appointed mouthpiece of the PM, is also on record as stating the RCMP did not ask for or consider necessary that the EA be invoked. The Ottawa Police have stated they didn't ask for it. Premiers of other Provinces where there were protests happening have stated they didn't ask for it. I personally took part in the response to a protest local to me that shut down a border crossing. No EA authorities were needed or used here.

The Government of Canada has been completely unwilling to articulate to Canadians why it was invoked, as the Police never asked for it and had ample authorities given by existing Legislation to deal with the protests across Canada. The Government has, in fact, contradicted themselves over and over and claimed there were misunderstandings and miscommunications after one of them tried to pin it on the Police and multiple agencies came out and stated it was not required or requested. The only people who thought it was necessary were the current Federal government, against the recommendations of the very same law enforcement agencies that were dealing with the protests themselves.

Considering we're talking about personal opinions, having been on the front lines of this one the EA was background noise, posturing and being seen to be doing something by an inept Government incapable of dealing with the reckoning their poor policy and divisive politics had brought to their front door. Turns out when you talk poorly about entire groups of people for years on end, they get kinda pissed off. Whooda thunk.

By "outrageous" I meant the examples - driving drunk while uninsured, etc. Likewise, "four hundred witnesses have cell-phone footage of the axe murderer killing three people, so let's have the death penalty". But I am essentially unmoved by the egregiousness of crimes when considering the fences we put around governments.

Remember when they scoffed at masks and told people not to stockpile? Mainly as they realized they had FUBARed their stockpile of PPE and wanted to scoop it before the public did.
Remember when we refused to block flights from known covid hotspots early on, because somehow it was "racist"? Sunny ways and happy days.

Remember when we refused to block flights from known covid hotspots early on, because somehow it was "racist"? Sunny ways and happy days.
Or when PP was calling on the government to close the border and get more vaccines.

Hindsight is 20/20 for everyone.

Along with shutting down all air travel for a few months
That one irked me. (I’m in agreement with you, btw.)

The fact that I couldn’t drive across a land border due to Covid concerns, but could be shoved in a flying tube with 200 other people all breathing the same recycled air & fly to the same destination was beyond stupid.

No common sense once so ever.

And that isn’t a hindsight is 20/20 thing. It sounded just as dumb at the time as it does now.

View attachment 73920
Sweet Lord, he rag-dolled her into the ground in a flash!

She clearly ‘experienced things differently’ than he did…
She sure did!

What garbage. As someone who grew up in Calgary, I was surprised when I first heard this…even more surprised at his punishment.

Won’t get into it here, but I don’t think many people can think too highly of him.

View attachment 73920
Sweet Lord, he rag-dolled her into the ground in a flash!

She clearly ‘experienced things differently’ than he did…

She's just trying to make the cop look bad. She didn't even put her hands out to catch herself..

At least the judge has some compassion.
“I don’t think you’re a bad person,” Christopher told Dunn after finding jail wasn’t necessary for the constable, who is currently suspended with pay.

“As a police officer you just can’t lose your temper,” the judge said.

“I think you know that.”

Of course this isn't reflective of the whole police force I'm sure. The other two officers who approached the bleeding and handcuffed woman were clearly surprised and concerned.

Good luck Calgary gun owners.

It appears that Manitoba may join AB and SK in prohibiting the use of provincially funded police resources to enforce the May 1, 2020 OIC gun ban and Compensated Confiscation (TM) plan.

Pressure is building on ON to follow suit. Michael Harrison, spokesperson for the ON Solicitor General said "“Ultimately, we encourage the federal government to focus on the measures needed to stop the root causes of gun violence, like stopping illegal guns from crossing the border and reducing the chances for repeat offenders to commit further crimes,”

The Liberals are desperate to get this plank in their platform underway before an election call. They are dropping in the polls and want something concrete to campaign on.

Op LENTUS 22-02 anyone?

Back