• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

To be honest it’s looks like it was more the local authorities that looked like fools. Not sure it made the feds look as bad as you think.
They all looked like fools. Especially in light of the fact that the EA was, at this point in time, unnecessary. Decisions and statements made by Politicians at the Federal level were contrary to the actual intelligence they received from Police.

Did it? Or was he already a target after losing the election. Calls for a review and change were happening before Christmas. His days were numbered. Convoy or not. His support for a carbon tax, deficit spending among other things and a move to the Center is what precipitated his fall.
He was already unpopular but the convoy was the final nail in the coffin.

Restrictions were already being removed and or planned to be. The tax plan in Quebec was never going to fly legally and a Legault knew that.

I think that is what they think.

My thoughts is that the convoy overreached and allowed themselves to painted as extremist and occupiers looking to overturn the government. They lost the message. It was never about mandates or truckers and it was revealed in short order.

The fact that 2/3rds of Canadians approved of the EA (regardless if it was wrong to so) is a testament to that.

The fact that Legault and Ford (both had the strictest COVID measures in Canada) were re elected with strong majorities should be an indication that people were on board with necessary measures. Or could care less about measures and that this thing was really about politics and not mandates.
Someone can be re-elected, the most popular candidate, and still change their previously held political position.

The convoy changed Government's calculus. Feel free to deny it if you wish, you've shown that you're pretty partisan on here and we all know what stripe of tie you wear, so I don't ever expect you to agree.

Except this wasn’t just a protest. This was an illegal occupation of a significant portion of the capital where lawless activity was left unchecked for weeks. Businesses and residents were harassed and made to feel unsafe in their community.
lng-pipeline-20200217.jpg

Did it warrant the use of the EA? So far, it looks like it did not, but we will see what comes out of this inquiry. I am skeptical, but am open to be convinced if the government brings receipts. So far, I haven’t seen them.

Other occupations were smaller in scope. Don’t get me wrong, I think they should have been shut down long before they got to the occupation stage as well. But to compare what happened in Ottawa to a regular protest where people wave their signs, say unpleasant things then go home is wrong.
Protests are by their very definition supposed to be uncomfortable.

You're upset and uncomfortable? Good! That's the entire point.

The Convoy Protestors just learned from others:

Indigenous Groups
MeToo
IdleNoMore
BLM
Occupy Wallstreet
Alt Left /Alt Right

30-Set3-AP839255125098.jpg

E-0SAFPVcAIa5UL.jpg

fracking-protest.jpg

seattle-01.jpg

They now know what works and what doesn't and how to achieve the effects they want. Whether you think their concerns are legitimate or not is inconsequential, they don't even care if you like them 😉

They all looked like fools. Especially in light of the fact that the EA was, at this point in time, unnecessary. Decisions and statements made by Politicians at the Federal level were contrary to the actual intelligence they received from Police.

He was already unpopular but the convoy was the final nail in the coffin.

Someone can be re-elected, the most popular candidate, and still change their previously held political position.

The convoy changed Government's calculus. Feel free to deny it if you wish, you've shown that you're pretty partisan on here and we all know what stripe of tie you wear, so I don't ever expect you to agree.

lng-pipeline-20200217.jpg

Protests are by their very definition supposed to be uncomfortable.

You're upset and uncomfortable? Good! That's the entire point.

The Convoy Protestors just learned from others:

Indigenous Groups
MeToo
IdleNoMore
BLM
Occupy Wallstreet
Alt Left /Alt Right

30-Set3-AP839255125098.jpg

E-0SAFPVcAIa5UL.jpg

fracking-protest.jpg

seattle-01.jpg

They now know what works and what doesn't and how to achieve the effects they want. Whether you think their concerns are legitimate or not is inconsequential, they don't even care if you like them

I’m happy to discuss differences of opinion but why don’t you refrain from making bad assumptions just because I don’t buy into extreme views on one side or another. This is why I likely won’t vote conservative next time, no place for moderates it seems. Your statement only reinforces that.

The Convoy Protestors just took the style of civil disobedience used by other groups: #IdleNoMore, #BLM, #MeToo, and made it their own.

It works and is highly effective. Ultimately, the immense success it was is a sign of extremely weak political leadership.

Imagine if it was an actual violent/revolutionary movement though? I think our security forces would be very quickly overwhelmed.
Idle no more had a long running, peaceful protest on Victoria Island that made their point without shutting down traffic. I happened to chat with some of them one day while walking across the bridge; we had a pretty calm and civil discussion, and carried on with my day. They managed to make their point without pissing off the whole city and was much more effective at getting the message to the general populace.

The marches etc are all on a permit with a known route that still allows you to get around it, with controls in place if emergency vehicles need to get through. Ottawa routinely gets protests/demonstrations of 10k+ people and it's no issue. The Freedumb idiots didn't do any of that and went out of their way to piss off locals and cause chaos for the 'Laurentian elites', but really it was just the people trying to get through their day impacted.

I’m happy to discuss differences of opinion but why don’t you refrain from making bad assumptions just because I don’t buy into extreme views on one side or another. This is why I likely won’t vote conservative next time, no place for moderates it seems. Your statement only reinforces that.
Just calling it like I see it. I personally think all Canadian politicians are scum and hold no allegiances to any of our parties.
Idle no more had a long running, peaceful protest on Victoria Island that made their point without shutting down traffic. I happened to chat with some of them one day while walking across the bridge; we had a pretty calm and civil discussion, and carried on with my day. They managed to make their point without pissing off the whole city and was much more effective at getting the message to the general populace.

The marches etc are all on a permit with a known route that still allows you to get around it, with controls in place if emergency vehicles need to get through. Ottawa routinely gets protests/demonstrations of 10k+ people and it's no issue. The Freedumb idiots didn't do any of that and went out of their way to piss off locals and cause chaos for the 'Laurentian elites', but really it was just the people trying to get through their day impacted.
I think the message I was trying to convey completely went over your head.

As for the Freedumb Idiots going out of their way to piss off locals, that was the entire point of the protest.

In your groupings & tasks matrix, "piss off locals in Ottawa" was probably an assigned task.

Ottawa routinely gets protests/demonstrations of 10k+ people and it's no issue
I would think there is hardly a weekend that goes by that there isn't some protest, parade, memorial, celebration, etc. in the downtown/Hill area.

Some are still protesting on weekends outside the city area and delaying traffic, forget where I saw them at intersection parked honking at passing cars asking for support
We still have a handful that drive around with their vehicles (invariably pickups) emblazon with their freedom message and seem to meet for coffee at a Tim's. Our daughter's city has a small rally every weekend, starting a Tim's of course, where they convoy around for a few kilometers then go on with their day.

As for the Freedumb Idiots going out of their way to piss off locals, that was the entire point of the protest.

Looks like it worked.

We still have a handful that drive around with their vehicles (invariably pickups) emblazon with their freedom message and seem to meet for coffee at a Tim's. Our daughter's city has a small rally every weekend, starting a Tim's of course, where they convoy around for a few kilometers then go on with their day.

Reminds me of Marlon Brando, way back in 1953:

"Hey Johnny! What are You rebelling against?"

Brando: "What do you got?" :)

Whether the "populist" sub-faction of the CPC is moderate or not depends on whether you identify with the "bosses" or the "workers". I'm pretty sure Joe Average thinks he's moderate.

The bar has been reset for protests which occupy, inconvenience, etc. See if it lasts.

Just calling it like I see it. I personally think all Canadian politicians are scum and hold no allegiances to any of our parties.

In your groupings & tasks matrix, "piss off locals in Ottawa" was probably an assigned task.
I’m not sure how pissing off the locals who have no say over government policy other than voting for MP’s/MLA’s is going to help “the cause” (whatever that was). All I see is that the locals will be more apt to vote for more harder line anti-right candidates. They won’t go “you’re right! I’ll vote Conservative next time!”

Regardless of whether enacting the EA was legitimate or not, I am sure the locals are still in favour of it being enacted (as are 75% of Canadians, last I saw). All they care about was that the trash was finally taken out.

As I said before, previous occupations pale in comparison to what we saw in Ottawa. I was critical of authorities for letting those continue for as long as they did as well.

If liberals (in the broad sense) won’t enforce the law, the people will elect fascists who will.

Enforcement isn't the issue. Some things are not really enforced much if at all, without much grief. Equal enforcement - meaning, same customary practices applied to everyone - is the vital principle.

I would think there is hardly a weekend that goes by that there isn't some protest, parade, memorial, celebration, etc. in the downtown/Hill area.
On September 25 this year there was a loud protest just south of Parliament Hill to denounce the Iranian government over the death of Mahsa Amini at the hands of the Morality Police a week before. This protest coincided (maybe intentionally) with the Canadian Police and Peace Officer's Memorial parade on the Hill.

There are 1 million people in Ottawa. The vast majority are not politicians, or high level public servants that had anything to do with the things they are angry about. Frankly most of the things they were angry about were either provincial rules, or US government border control on letting foreigners into their country, so they weren't even in the right city.

Pissing off 1M people to thumb your nose at a few hundred is just idiotic, and the people that they wanted to get the message to are also the ones that can just afford to go to the summer estate. The ones they actually impacted are the ones trying to get by and make sure rent is paid.

The whole protest gets shallower and stupider the more you poke at it.

But sure, great job guys. Woo hoo, go you. You made a real difference, for sure.

On September 25 this year there was a loud protest just south of Parliament Hill to denounce the Iranian government over the death of Mahsa Amini at the hands of the Morality Police a week before. This protest coincided (maybe intentionally) with the Canadian Police and Peace Officer's Memorial parade on the Hill.
It’s not a weekend in Ottawa without a protest. I’m inclined to think that was coincidental; the Iranian community was reacting in real time to events on the ground in Iran. They’ve had other protests here since and, to the best of my knowledge, have consistently been respectful and law abiding. I’m not aware of any particular or intentional disrespect shown to police or law enforcement in the course of this series of Iranian protests.

They won’t go “you’re right! I’ll vote Conservative next time!”

I wonder if far-sighted Conservative politicians will embrace, or attempt to distance themselves, from the "freedom" community come next election.

There are 1 million people in Ottawa. The vast majority are not politicians, or high level public servants that had anything to do with the things they are angry about. Frankly most of the things they were angry about were either provincial rules, or US government border control on letting foreigners into their country, so they weren't even in the right city.

Pissing off 1M people to thumb your nose at a few hundred is just idiotic, and the people that they wanted to get the message to are also the ones that can just afford to go to the summer estate. The ones they actually impacted are the ones trying to get by and make sure rent is paid.

But sure, great job guys. Woo hoo, go you. You made a real difference, for sure.
They didn't piss off 1M people... I love how people ignore that there were lots of Ottawa residents who supported the protests, or didn't care much because it didn't impact them at all.

You're also forgetting that much of the support seemed to be rural Canadians who don't particularly care that a bunch of urbanites think slightly less of them now.

They didn't piss off 1M people... I love how people ignore that there were lots of Ottawa residents who supported the protests, or didn't care much because it didn't impact them at all.

That's good. Hopefully, they won't the bill.

At least they got off their asses and did something to voice their displeasure, not like the other 38.9 million apathetic fucks in this country who just roll over, bite the pillow, and take it dry.

Back