• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread

i was born in the U.S. many many moons ago. Except my maternal grandfather who came from Greece, all my other ancestors were from the British Isles. But it was that grandfather who was particularly proud to consider himself to be an American and and was quite passionate about it. The fact that he was Greek was of lesser value to him although he was quite proud of having come from there. In other words he quite happily put himself in the melting pot.

Compare that with Canada. Here we have multiculturalism, not a melting pot. As much as I love Canada, I think multiculturalism divides Canadians more than it unites them. A moment ago I spoke about my grandfather being Greek. Several decades ago a friend of mine was flying from Toronto to Athens. On that plane, sitting next to him, was a young guy also from Toronto and was, in fact, born there. My friend asked him if he was going to Greece on vacation and the young man replied “No, I’ve been drafted and am going to serve MY country.” My friend then asked, “But, we don’t have a draft in Canada, didn’t you say you’re Canadian?” The guy then said, “We’ll, you know what I mean.”

Unfortunately, I DO know what he meant. He considered himself Greek first and Canadian second. Although some may consider that example to be anecdotal, I’ve seen all too many similar instances of multiculturalism not really working for the betterment of Canada. I think multiculturalism is a disaster and not to be in favour of it is something a lot of the liberal politicians would classify as racist to diminish the importance of what I’m saying. I’m not arguing against having other races coming to Canada…but I hate like hell seeing them almost encourage new immigrants to proudly hold on to their original heritage to the extent that they do not identify as Canadians. I think the only reason Pearson and Trudeau pushed multiculturalism on Canadians is just to find a raison d’être to differentiate Canada from the U.S. As a result, my opinion is that Canada is worse off as a result because there are so many other and better reasons for differentiating Canada from the U.S.

So when push comes to shove with China, I hate to think how many new Canadians will end up really supporting this country.

I mean I'm a settler, or so I've been told to think now so.... What do we expect ?

I'm in agreement with you BTW. It's a deep rooted problem in Canada that it's very faux pas to be proud of Canada.

We've contributed a ton to this world and it should be celebrated.

Target.

Target.

I suspect I’m supposed to hate or be ashamed of my basically WASP heritage. But somehow I just can’t. Maybe people like me will just be cancelled.

I suspect I’m supposed to hate or be ashamed of my basically WASP heritage. But somehow I just can’t. Maybe people like me will just be cancelled.

You shouldn't be. You're people may have done bad things, but they did great things and they laid the groundwork for us to leave the bad behind and progress.

You can't in 2023 look back to 1792 and hold people today responsible.

There isn't a single culture or heritage or race on this planet without skeletons in their closet.

i was born in the U.S. many many moons ago. Except my maternal grandfather who came from Greece, all my other ancestors were from the British Isles. But it was that grandfather who was particularly proud to consider himself to be an American and and was quite passionate about it. The fact that he was Greek was of lesser value to him although he was quite proud of having come from there. In other words he quite happily put himself in the melting pot.

Compare that with Canada. Here we have multiculturalism, not a melting pot. As much as I love Canada, I think multiculturalism divides Canadians more than it unites them. A moment ago I spoke about my grandfather being Greek. Several decades ago a friend of mine was flying from Toronto to Athens. On that plane, sitting next to him, was a young guy also from Toronto and was, in fact, born there. My friend asked him if he was going to Greece on vacation and the young man replied “No, I’ve been drafted and am going to serve MY country.” My friend then asked, “But, we don’t have a draft in Canada, didn’t you say you’re Canadian?” The guy then said, “We’ll, you know what I mean.”

Unfortunately, I DO know what he meant. He considered himself Greek first and Canadian second. Although some may consider that example to be anecdotal, I’ve seen all too many similar instances of multiculturalism not really working for the betterment of Canada. I think multiculturalism is a disaster and not to be in favour of it is something a lot of the liberal politicians would classify as racist to diminish the importance of what I’m saying. I’m not arguing against having other races coming to Canada…but I hate like hell seeing them almost encourage new immigrants to proudly hold on to their original heritage to the extent that they do not identify as Canadians. I think the only reason Pearson and Trudeau pushed multiculturalism on Canadians is just to find a raison d’être to differentiate Canada from the U.S. As a result, my opinion is that Canada is worse off as a result because there are so many other and better reasons for differentiating Canada from the U.S.

So when push comes to shove with China, I hate to think how many new Canadians will end up really supporting this country.
One fights to defend ones family first and foremost and then to defend your tribe. If you don't feel you belong then you have no reason to protect your country until and unless you are directly threatened. The Trudeau clan does not believe in Canada. They have never denied this in fact they have boasted about it. They have implemented processes that encourage people who want to remain Greek (to use your example) to come to Canada. In reality they have chosen to reward itinerant workers instead of contributing workers. Itinerants are takers. They are here strictly for what they can get with no notion of giving back. And so, you can't get volunteers for the CAF because that involves giving, taking steps to defend something that is of value

It's a deep rooted problem in Canada that it's very faux pas to be proud of Canada.
I'm not sure of that.

Canadians are proud of being Canadian and Canada. Whether that pride is placed properly or not, or that "we're not American" is debatable.

And to follow on to @JLB50 's point about the US, I have family in the US and visit them fairly often (well, before Covid at least). I'm not so sure the "melting pot" analogy is really correct anymore. While each country wanted something different (the US melting pot and the Canadian mosaic), I think in both countries it became something more of a "middle" between the two.

I have met plenty of Chinese-Canadians who were extremely proud Canadians. They feel like they won the lottery.

The United Front who intimidate and harass the community, and their Canadian enablers, need to be rooted out and named and shamed. And if there’s evidence of criminal activity, prosecuted.

I do like my timelines....

Draft - without attribution
Don’t forget:

Richard Fadden reporting on foreign influence in 2010;

Trudeau’s “pay to play” dinners with Chinese billionaires;

Trudeau’s attempt to get a free trade and extradition agreement with China;

“Team Canada” trade missions in the 90’s;

It’s so hard to keep up.

I have met plenty of Chinese-Canadians who were extremely proud Canadians. They feel like they won the lottery.

The United Front who intimidate and harass the community, and their Canadian enablers, need to be rooted out and named and shamed. And if there’s evidence of criminal activity, prosecuted.
Prosecuted and named publicly. The media might enjoy that.

People who might be receiving foreign donations - in cash or in kind - ought ensure they are not before they call out someone else?

Sorry - how does that tie into the thread?

Hypocrisy of our government. They appear more than happy to accept international donations.

Here's a little more Hypocrisy.

Beijing-friendly Liberal politician calls for public inquiry into 'unlawful' CSIS

Hypocrisy of our government. They appear more than happy to accept international donations.

Here's a little more Hypocrisy.

Beijing-friendly Liberal politician calls for public inquiry into 'unlawful' CSIS
I read that earlier. The RCMP should be investigating this person and others.

All of which has me wondering.

The cost of housing makes home ownership unlikely for most young people. In the meantime the government says we need more and more people coming to Canada to help build more homes so the average Canadian can afford a home.

The government is talking about allowing at least 400,000 to 500,000 immigrants per year for at least 3 years. Most likely the majority will end up in the major cities. And do you think life is going to be any better? It makes me wonder if someone’s pockets are being lined by someone else.

What follows is a link to a Toronto Star (sorry about the paywall) story saying how Toronto is planning to build up to 100 new condo towers a year for at least five years with up to 100,000 new units to handle the expected demand.

Imagine what that’s going to do to Toronto. Not to mention Vancouver, Montreal, Calgary. Before long our cities may end up being as impressive as, let’s say, Guangzhou, Shanghai or even…wait for it…Wuhan.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of that.

Canadians are proud of being Canadian and Canada. Whether that pride is placed properly or not, or that "we're not American" is debatable.

And to follow on to @JLB50 's point about the US, I have family in the US and visit them fairly often (well, before Covid at least). I'm not so sure the "melting pot" analogy is really correct anymore. While each country wanted something different (the US melting pot and the Canadian mosaic), I think in both countries it became something more of a "middle" between the two.
Dimsum, you are probably right about things having changed in the U.S. The melting pot is probably not close to the melting temperature with the huge influx of refugees as well as legal immigrants from many other countries. To further back up what you say, some states such as California, Texas and Florida (to name a few) are now basically bilingual English/Spanish. Pressure is being applied in other states to offer more services in Spanish. This does suggest an easing of the melting pot. If that is the case and it continues to change significantly then I think Americans are going to going to be more disunited at a time when unity is needed more than ever before.

It makes me wonder if someone’s pockets are being lined by someone else.
Not "being lined" in a disreputable sense. The classes of people who didn't lose work during COVID and couldn't spend on some of the usual things (eg. vacations) accumulated some money, which has increased the number of people with some capital looking to invest in residential real estate and collect rents.

Dimsum, you are probably right about things having changed in the U.S. The melting pot is probably not close to the melting temperature with the huge influx of refugees as well as legal immigrants from many other countries. To further back up what you say, some states such as California, Texas and Florida (to name a few) are now basically bilingual English/Spanish. Pressure is being applied in other states to offer more services in Spanish. This does suggest an easing of the melting pot. If that is the case and it continues to change significantly then I think Americans are going to going to be more disunited at a time when unity is needed more than ever before.
and it is the same approach that has destroyed Canada. Saturate the country with people who are simply takers. which is not meant to be a criticism of those who are truly refugees of which there are many

Back