Author Topic: The Prime Minister and the PMO - 2019  (Read 6291 times)

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: The Prime Minister and the PMO - 2019
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:09 »
That's because the CPC tax plan isn't designed to give "relief" to low income families (who already pay less in total tax dollars and less in marginal tax rates than anyone else). The goal is to incentives for businesses to hire more workers, with higher pay rates due to lower corporate and payroll tax rates. Cutting the taxes of the sub $40K per year family income folks does nothing, getting them a $20K raise or more opportunities for better jobs is altogether way better for the economy.

You don't increase GDP by taxing the middle class more. You increase it by pushing up wages and decreasing the amount of people in the lowest tax bracket because they're going to spend all that money on houses, cars, items for their kids, etc.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 12:37:59 »
That's because the CPC tax plan isn't designed to give "relief" to low income families (who already pay less in total tax dollars and less in marginal tax rates than anyone else). The goal is to incentives for businesses to hire more workers, with higher pay rates due to lower corporate and payroll tax rates. Cutting the taxes of the sub $40K per year family income folks does nothing, getting them a $20K raise or more opportunities for better jobs is altogether way better for the economy.

You don't increase GDP by taxing the middle class more. You increase it by pushing up wages and decreasing the amount of people in the lowest tax bracket because they're going to spend all that money on houses, cars, items for their kids, etc.

Absolutely- I agree almost fully, and I'm good with that. I'm not debating the merits of the respective tax plans, I'm just discussing the CPC's painfully shrill reaction to a soundbyte that, in proper context, was found by qualified analysis to be pretty accurate. But really this whole thing has done a nice job of highlighting how petty and largely pointless Question Period has been allowed to become...
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2019, 12:56:25 »
Absolutely- I agree almost fully, and I'm good with that. I'm not debating the merits of the respective tax plans, I'm just discussing the CPC's painfully shrill reaction to a soundbyte that, in proper context, was found by qualified analysis to be pretty accurate. But really this whole thing has done a nice job of highlighting how petty and largely pointless Question Period has been allowed to become...

And it became pointless right after the election, when it became obvious, that the grit caucus wasn't going to answer any questions properly or even address the issues being questioned. Their vain, amateur attempts at conjuring the responses of the Velvet Fog have failed them miserably. It is the grits that have made a mockery of the House with their evasiveness.

But that's likely Harper's fault. 8)

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2019, 13:14:34 »
But really this whole thing has done a nice job of highlighting how petty and largely pointless Question Period has been allowed to become...

We need this guy as the Speaker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4v7wddN-Wg Better video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X5F7jhQZd8

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 13:15:40 »
And it became pointless right after the election, when it became obvious, that the grit caucus wasn't going to answer any questions properly or even address the issues being questioned. Their vain, amateur attempts at conjuring the responses of the Velvet Fog have failed them miserably. It is the grits that have made a mockery of the House with their evasiveness.

But that's likely Harper's fault. 8)

Question Period has been a farce since long before this government. That's hardly unique to the Liberals. It was just as much of a joke under the CPC and will be again if they get re-elected.

Nothing about QP puts any onus on anyone to make constructive use of the time... The entire endeavour seems to be about attempting to get exactly this sort of 'gotcha' sound byte out of the other guys. Sure as hell nothing meaningful towards legislation or policy is happening in there- by anyone.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 14:43:47 »
OK, so we're talking about two different things or seeing things in two different contexts.  I'm looking at the issues in the context of Trudeau's long-standing theme of "millionaire families", by which I assume he means those capable of very conspicuous consumption (executive-style homes, luxury autos, high-end liquor and entertainments, etc), because "millionaire" in 2019 isn't the same as "millionaire" in 1979 if all we mean is "net worth".

If the TFSA discussion wasn't a response to my somewhat rhetorical challenge to identify a tax break aimed at millionaire families, then I understand what you meant differently.

Trudeau's responses were a pretty stereotypical sequence - start with the big lie/misrepresentation (about breaks for millionaire families) that is meant to be the sound bite people will remember (critical of Conservatives, of course), then walk it back to a very limited factual claim (specific reference to non-refundable credits, which he could have walked back one step further with a direct reference to the fitness/arts credits, given a chance) which the "fact-checkers" can leverage to report the claim as "mostly/wholly true", which is then (unfortunately) misreported/conflated with the original claim to give it verisimilitude.  It's a popular technique.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 14:47:44 »
>the grit caucus wasn't going to answer any questions properly

Neither did the Conservatives.  I was never satisfied with their QP behaviour.  As I noted in previous post, QP is primarily used as an opportunity to get sound bites out.  An incurious or partisan person isn't going to make it very clear when "informing" others that point X was basically bull, and point Y was factually correct.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 14:23:42 »
Gerald Butts Resigns PMO position

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trudeau-s-principal-secretary-gerald-butts-resigns-1.4301856#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=mHavDaI

OTTAWA -- Gerald Butts, Justin Trudeau's principal secretary and long-time friend, has resigned amid allegations that the Prime Minister's Office interfered to prevent a criminal prosecution of SNC-Lavalin.

In a statement, Butts unequivocally denies the accusation that he or anyone else in the office improperly pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to help the Montreal engineering giant avoid a criminal case on corruption and bribery charges related to government contracts in Libya.

Nevertheless, Butts says the allegation is distracting from the "vital work" Trudeau is doing so it's in the best interests of the Prime Minister's Office for him to step aside.

"I categorically deny the accusation that I or anyone else in his office pressured Ms. Wilson-Raybould ... At all times, I and those around me acted with integrity and singular focus on the best interests of all Canadians," he says.

"Any accusation that I or the staff put pressure on the attorney general is simply not true ... But the fact is that this accusation exists. It cannot and should not take one moment away from the vital work the prime minister and his office is doing for all Canadians.

"My reputation is my responsibility and that is for me to defend. It is in the best interests of the office and its important work for me to step away."

Wilson-Raybould resigned from Trudeau's cabinet last week. She has not explained why and she has not commented on the allegation, levelled by anonymous sources in a Globe and Mail story 10 days ago, that she was improperly pressured, citing solicitor-client privilege. She has hired a former Supreme Court justice to advise her on what she may legally say.

Butts is one of several top Trudeau aides the opposition parties had wanted to call before the House of Commons justice committee to testify on what happened. Liberal MPs on the committee last week used their majority to limit the scope of the committee's inquiry.

Butts has confirmed that Wilson-Raybould briefly raised the matter of SNC-Lavalin during a meeting in December; he advised her to speak with the clerk of the Privy Council, Michael Wernick.

In his statement, Butts writes positively of his relationship with Wilson-Raybould.

"I encouraged her to run for the Liberal Party of Canada and worked hard to support her as a candidate and then cabinet minister. From my perspective, our relationship has always been defined by mutual respect, candour and an honest desire to work together."

Butts says he's served Trudeau "to the best of my abilities and I have at all times given the prime minister free and unfettered advice.

"I have served the public interest, not the interests of any individual or any narrow private interest of any kind, at any time. Life is full of uncertainties but I am absolutely certain of that."

More at Link

Good riddance. However, I don't think we've seen the last of him. He'll likely still have a great deal of influence. This looks like a move to position him from scrutiny while he continues his policies. Or maybe he'll jump on board with Dalton Gore-McGuinty.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 14:30:35 by Fishbone Jones »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 14:27:42 »
Like a loyal samurai falling in his sword.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 14:42:01 »
Like a loyal samurai falling in his sword.

Romans fell on their swords.  Samurai sliced their stomachs open from left to right.
Optio

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2019, 14:42:08 »
Pending: A real he said, she said. Who would you believe when testifying under oath?
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2019, 14:47:54 »
Pending: A real he said, she said. Who would you believe when testifying under oath?

I'll take what's in the box Monty.
Optio

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2019, 14:48:56 »
Three sides to every story.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2019, 15:04:38 »

I'd say that's a given. Between these two, JWR has always seemed a straight shooter and I don't know her that well. Butts however, has all those years killing Ontario and lying about it to bolster his profile.
A proven record, if you will, against speculation.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2019, 15:07:48 »
Anybody else starting to think that Robert Fife has some sort of superpower to take down governments?
Optio

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 15:11:00 »
Butts is possibly just getting ahead of a JWR statement to be delivered to the public very shortly.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,129826.msg1562379/topicseen.html#new   Are these the ‘answers’ of a Prime Minister who’s done nothing wrong?

JWR may be the only person in the Liberal Gov't, including NDHQ, who took notes during/post meetings. ;D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 15:52:44 by Rifleman62 »
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 15:18:01 »
I'm waiting for the PM to stand up and start answering his own questions, instead of what Butts dictates to him. Given his gaffes from written instructions, it should be pretty comical watching him try handle things with his own brain, off the cuff. Mind, Telford is still around and Butts has been taking her heat. Now the scope gets trained on her, directly, for a change.

There's little doubt in my mind, Butts will still have the strings, unofficially or not.

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 15:47:13 »
I wonder to which country he will be named ambassador.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 16:00:17 »

Narnia.
Optio

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 16:04:06 »
Pending: Gerald Butts to be named as Canada's new Ambassador to China. ;D

Is that far enough away to make testifying difficult? There is a vacancy for this post.

This is all Scott Brison's fault for resigning.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 19:59:40 by Rifleman62 »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2019, 17:28:24 »
Let send him to Cuba, so the aliens can fry his brain as well.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2019, 17:32:54 »
Venezuela?
Optio

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2019, 17:42:17 »
Butts operates with NVGs. Public light to him is like sunlight to a vampire. He'll continue operating behind the scenes, just not in an official capacity as the PMs secretary. This gives him free reign to play with the election. This guy is not going to go quietly into the good night.

Just idle speculation.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2019, 17:45:31 »
Afghanistan I hope.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2019, 19:33:17 »
Anybody else starting to think that Robert Fife has some sort of superpower to take down governments?
Not bad for a member of what some consider the fake news, bought by Liberal bribe money MSM ;)

Pending: Gerald Butts to be named as Canada's new Ambassador to China.
Interesting tidbit -- any links for that?  I'm not seeing it yet @ the "usual suspect" sites.  Thx!

For what little it's worth, and if you're a tea leaf reader, GB's letter of resignation is attached (source).
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter