Author Topic: SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018  (Read 337767 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2014, 10:56:15 »
Military Pension combined with my CF Pension equaled more than 75% of my pay.

I assume that means that you are getting a Tax Free Medical Pension from the CAF and then your taxable CAF Pension.   

SISIP clearly states how they calculate their entitlements to the member.  You are not being wronged by SISIP if their calculations indicate you are getting more from other sources.   You are not being screwed.     

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline blackberet17

• "The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept." - LGen David Morrison, Chief of Army, Australia
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2014, 11:14:42 »
VAC Vocational Rehabilitation policy:

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/policy/document/1209

From a handout (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/pdf/publications/nvc/canvet.pdf):

"If you are medically releasing for any reason or are a released CF Veteran with a service-related injury or illness, you may be eligible for rehabilitation services. In certain cases, spouses, common-law partners and survivors may also access vocational services."

Further:

Do I qualify?
You may qualify for rehabilitation services if you are a Veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces who:

• has medically-released within the last 120 days; or
• has any health problem resulting from your military service that is making it difficult for you to adjust to life at home, in your community or at work.

If you fall under the second point, you may qualify. Suggest you contact VAC (if not already done) at 1-866-522-2122 (toll-free) Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30, local time.
« Ne vous occupez pas d'eux; ils ne savent pas tirer. [...] Il y a des ennemis devant nous, derrière nous et sur nos flancs. Il ne reste qu'une place sans danger, soit vers l'objectif. » Paul Triquet, VC

Offline 44inchStone

• Rate Post
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2014, 14:28:01 »
So it sounds that SISIP and VOC Rehad are of course 2 different entities.
Soldiers can retire on a NON medical release after a certain number of years and be given 30K worth of re-education, ALSO collect a TAX FREE DVA pension and a TAXED Military Pension.
And yes serving members release on a non 3(B) release but collect tax free DVA pensions in which they deserve.
It's tough not to be frustrated. I would just like us "Old School" soldiers the same opportunities as new releasing soldiers. To me there are two sets of rules.
Decisions made by civilians with not a day in uniform!
Hoping I can get answers elsewhere.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2014, 14:32:05 »
The different types of VAC benefits are described in another thread.

This thread may be of interest to you:  http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,115735.msg1318812.html#msg1318812
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2014, 14:36:13 »
It's tough not to be frustrated. I would just like us "Old School" soldiers the same opportunities as new releasing soldiers. To me there are two sets of rules.

So what you're actually saying is you're pissed off because things have improved for releasing members compared to back in our day??
.....and the 'new beat' goes on.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline kratz

Summer is here...and more rain.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #330 on: November 21, 2014, 14:45:31 »
Under the current system, there are Voc Rehab benefits eligible members can access pre and post release.
Depending on when you access the benefits, SISIP will be the initial source and when those are exhausted,
depending on your case, VAC may extend their version of Voc Rehab to the veteran.

I am no SME on this, just currently going through the process.

One of the best sources for accurate information is your local JPSU.
At least they can direct you to the relevant SMEs.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline WinnieThePooh

• Rate Post
« Reply #331 on: November 22, 2014, 19:01:11 »
"The reasons why they said I was NOT entitled to it was because my Military Pension combined with my CF Pension equaled more than the 75% if my pay. If it were less then SISIP would have given me the assistance."

To the best of my knowledge, one does not equate to the other. Regardless of income, training by SISIP for Item 3(a)/3(b) for 2 years after (and in some cases can be extended), has nothing to do with income. I have never heard of anyone receiving rehabilitation trg/funding on any release item other than medical.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #332 on: November 23, 2014, 10:51:56 »
When you were released on 3b, were you not provided with a SISIP representative? 

Offline 44inchStone

• Rate Post
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2014, 21:00:29 »
There's lots to reply too.
Bruce Monkehouse thinks I'm pissed because things have improved. What are you talking about? I'll start by saying how happy I am that things have improved for the troops. Over the many years the troops were getting screwed. They have come along way but I still think there is much room for improvement. I joined in 84 and YES things have improved.
As for rehabilitation training other than a medical release, NON medical releases fall under VOC rehab. And yes it runs into the thousands. As I said. A person I know released NON-medically and was retrained through a course that added up to over 30K.
SISIP back then was to be used within two years. YES I was given a SISIP rep.
And yes I was told that I was pretty well entitled to nothing because my military pension and my VAC pension was equal to the 75% required in order for me to collect SISIP.
I do agree that the passage of information for benefits are far better than what they were also. They did NOT volunteer benefits 10 years ago.
Most benefits that I heard I was entitled to pretty well was found out through word of mouth, in recent years.
Programs are much better and forums such as this help soldiers with the information they require to obtain these benefits.
The programs and benefits now are better. Better than what was available.
Now if they can fix the monthly VAC pension problems.
Pro Patricia!

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #334 on: November 24, 2014, 01:52:08 »
In your OP, do you mean that the CWO wasnt a 3B?  Or that he got VOC rehab while still in before he got released as 3B?  If so, that matches what I got; put on category 3B in 2002, went on VOC starting in 2004, released as 3B in 2005. 

If you were told you couldn't get any VOC due to the amount of money you were receiving, then hopefully you have some piece of paper where they say this. 

Otherwise, have to go with Winnie, I never heard of anyone getting VOC unless they were 3B, and even then that was before the crackdown on people abusing the process.

Offline 44inchStone

• Rate Post
« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2014, 17:52:13 »
The person I am speaking of was not released on a 3(b) or any other kind of medical release. He just released.
He just completed his courses adding up over 25k.
Pretty good deal for him.
It was part of the new program where your are retrained or educated in what you choose, after release.
Again. He paid nothing. What an awsome deal that was for him

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #336 on: November 29, 2014, 22:46:00 »
The person I am speaking of was not released on a 3(b) or any other kind of medical release. He just released.
He just completed his courses adding up over 25k.
Pretty good deal for him.
It was part of the new program where your are retrained or educated in what you choose, after release.
Again. He paid nothing. What an awsome deal that was for him

I believe I know what you are speaking of. For Reg Force members that retire they can upgrade there education to civilian equivalent  as long as it has to do with there trade. I don't know much about this program or if its still in effect. Perhaps someone else that knows of this program can inform 44inchstorm of the details.

Offline Petard

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Once a gunner, always a gunner
« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2014, 14:05:32 »
Hey all,

Yes this is my first post. Served 25 years in the CF. Was released on a 3(B) medical back in 2004. Was NOT entitled to SISIP OR VOC REHAB.
With all the NEW programs out there I thought that because I was one of the lucky guys that was not entitled to these benefits back then, thought I'd be entitled to them now.
It was only actually after a chief I knew was releasing told me of all his entitlements after his release such as VOC rehab.
Could not actually believe that the CF paid 30K for his tuition for a heavy equipment course and this was without actually releasing medically. He said that it was an entitlement to retrain CF members after their release.

There's something about your chief's story that's not adding up; generally, the only program available for someone to receive vocational training, that is not releasing medically, is through a program to upgrade their military skills to a civilian equivalent
The limit is $5400, once, as described below in CBI 210.802
www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits/ch-210-misc-entitlements-grants.page

Note they have to still be serving, and they need to have prior approval of their Individual Learning Plan, something that is becoming more onerous to do since this type of vocational training has to relate to their current trade, and justify how it benefits the Forces.

It sounds more like the chief got out medically, or perhaps it was awhile ago when the Personal Enhancement Plan was still around. PEP granted up to $20000 for 20 yrs service, for vocational training. During a SCAN seminar in 2001 we were told PEP was eliminated largely due to gross misuse identified by TB audits; a good program ruined by a few selfish a**holes.

Your case is different, and whether you're entitled to voc rehab benefits or not, I would suggest you reach someone at one of the contact sites given below, to find out if anything is available to you.
Won't hurt to ask

www.forces.gc.ca/en/contact.page#benefits
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 14:11:29 by Petard »

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2015, 16:34:19 »
My wife retired some years back and was offered and took membership in this plan. Rates have continually escalated and we asked Manulife what happens at age 75. Their response was the policy dies and any accrued funds are lost to us as this is a "term" policy. Can someone please offer advice/comments on this as we are completely at sea. If its elsewhere please advise.

For Mods: If this subject has come up elsewhere, feel free to move this.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 21:59:29 by Bruce Monkhouse »
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6945.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2015, 17:33:43 »
Paid into it for years also. When I retired, they wanted to switch me over. I have insurance already. Given that anyone who has had dealings with SISIP appears to have as much trouble with them as VAC, I said "no thanks" and kept my $60\ month.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2015, 17:41:05 »
Term insurance, regardless of the insurer, has zero residual value.

The SISIP term insurance has decent rates; its one compelling factor for military members is that it does not have an exclusion for death due to an act of war; other policies generally do.

I am not a financial advisor or insurance advisor.  I would suggest you find a good financial advisor to determine what insurance would be appropriate for you at this point in your life.  If you're debt free with no dependants, it may not be necessary to continue to carry coverage; that's a decision you should make in consultation with a trusted advisor.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ueo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #341 on: February 11, 2015, 14:06:47 »
Thanks for the info. Contacted a financial manager and got pretty much the same. As we're mortgage free, I think we'll let this lapse next spring. We have other insurance and this is just an annoyance.
Take the tone of the company you are with. Lord Chesterfield

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #342 on: April 01, 2015, 20:02:59 »
Ok,

Looking for some info. Currently trying to get VAC Voc Rehab to actually plan my switch from SISIP to Voc Rehab (CanVet) and am getting pushback from my Voc Rehab case manager.

She says CanVet will not talk to me until I am done with SISIP. Problem with that is, I switch on Sep 12, 2015. School starts the week before and I need approval from VAC well before then so I can get registered.

SISIP has so graciously allowed me to try a few courses, under my Dr.'s care of course (actually, the Doc wrote SISIP a rather stern letter insisting that I be authorized), and I really want to continue.

Now, according to the MOU between DND/SISIP/VAC wrt transitions (I have a hard copy around here somewhere), it seems clear to me that, administratively at least, there is no reason why I cannot plan the way I need to.

But what do I know, I'm just an old Log O  >:(

Oh and the clowns refuse to authorize my ELB before then either.

Anyone have any advice on which buttons to push or which secret words I need to use on this one? "Red zone" does not work in this case apparently.

Thanks.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2015, 21:58:53 »
- What is Can Vet? I met with Rehab Counselor and the follow up letter was on SISIP-RARM Manulife Financial letterheads, and the signature block is Manulife Financial based.

- I had to divide my SISIP files into three: IRM (insurance), LTD Voc Rehab, and LTD financial.
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #344 on: April 01, 2015, 22:57:38 »
- What is Can Vet? I met with Rehab Counselor and the follow up letter was on SISIP-RARM Manulife Financial letterheads, and the signature block is Manulife Financial based.

- I had to divide my SISIP files into three: IRM (insurance), LTD Voc Rehab, and LTD financial.

CanVet VR Services has been contracted by VAC to provide vocational rehabilitation and vocational assistance services to help clients meet their vocational goals.

http://www.canvetservices.com/about-eg.html

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2015, 20:22:21 »
Wook, maybe see if SISIP will provide something like a letter explaining your situation to VAC and that you will need VAC approval ahead of time to continue with your education as the SISIP funding will cease. Hope VAC gets themselves sorted out for you. I'm about to venture into voc rehab myself.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2015, 00:37:37 »
- My counsellor was a retired Medic working for SISIP, Manulife as the insurer provides program funding. VAC doesn't enter into my Voc Rehab. Are we talking two different programs here?
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #347 on: April 03, 2015, 13:38:20 »
- My counsellor was a retired Medic working for SISIP, Manulife as the insurer provides program funding. VAC doesn't enter into my Voc Rehab. Are we talking two different programs here?

Yes, they are two different programs. SISIP provides 2 years of education from date of release with the ability to get 6 months education before release. SISIP may extend the benefit an extra month or 2 due to timing of school programs. However there are situations where vets can't start school upon release and may start the SISIP voc rehab a year into it or even after the 2 years has passed. This would mean SISIP will only pay for the remaining year and VAC should pick up whatever is remaining for your education under there voc rehab program. You must use the SISIP voc rehab benefit first before being able to use VACs voc rehab education benefit.

Hopefully I have that all correct as I'm learning all this as I jump into it as well.

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #348 on: April 03, 2015, 19:11:55 »
- Thanks for the information. Good to know.

Offline Teager

• Rate Post
    • Canada For Victory
« Reply #349 on: April 17, 2015, 11:22:16 »
Wookilar have you managed to get any word on this issue?