• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN Enhanced (Permanent?) Fwd Presence in Latvia

Want to bet in day or so there's a memo . I mean what's the point if proclaiming it was actually a brilliant idea if one can't also claim credit for it.

I’m betting we convened the event.

Clark Gable Nod GIF

I know it’s hard to imagine e that Canada is not at the centre of everything, but perhaps the eFP is not the only NATO presence in Latvia and this is in fact another NATO organization.
You mean like TFL which is all Canadian or the NSE that’s Canadian led ?

Crazy thought - maybe no Canadians volunteered as we’re mid / have just completed the RIP?

@Halifax Tar they just arrived; if you’re on Mel’s you’re loosing your spot. I know it’s hard to fathom but most of the guys going over actually want to and there’s a fully man Op Res happy to take their spots.

No. Those are Canadian organizations to look after the Canadian mission. That was a NATO video, and we are drawing imagined outrage because it seems to be beyond belief that a NATO nation might have NATO organizations within its borders other that the NATO organization that we have decided to play a part with.

No. Those are Canadian organizations to look after the Canadian mission. That was a NATO video, and we are drawing imagined outrage because it seems to be beyond belief that a NATO nation might have NATO organizations within its borders other that the NATO organization that we have decided to play a part with.
You are aware this was posted on the eFP Latvia face book page with the tag line of
“Personnel deployed with the NATO enhanced Forward Presence Battle Group Latvia came together to wish you all a warm season’s greetings and happy holidays.

The song the group is singing, “Carols of the Bells”, is the English version of the Ukrainian Christmas song, “Shchedryk"written by Mikola Leontovich on the motif of the folk "ofедрик".

#WeAreNATO #StrongerTogether”

Right?

You are aware this was posted on the eFP Latvia face book page with the tag line of
“Personnel deployed with the NATO enhanced Forward Presence Battle Group Latvia came together to wish you all a warm season’s greetings and happy holidays.
The only place I’ve seen it is from NATO’s post where there is no mention of eFP.

Attachments

• 5D5E487D-E64C-4663-A01D-6FD72D654946.jpeg
    5D5E487D-E64C-4663-A01D-6FD72D654946.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
But the eFP in Latvia led by Canada does not include the Danes nor the Americans lol nor Latvians either.
1 Mech Inf Bde includes both Danes and Americans though, at least until the aFP Bde stands up. Multi National Divsion North also has all three and Canadians.

Also seems odd, if this is an eFP video, that it was not posted directly by eFP … still possible, but odd.

Last edited:
Also seems odd, if this is an eFP video, that it was not posted directly by eFP … still possible, but odd.
I don’t know why your saying “still possible” when I posted the video from their page claiming it’s their personnel. Likely no Canadians wanted to participate and I can’t imagine, knowing the command team, they’d really force the issue.

But the eFP in Latvia led by Canada does not include the Danes nor the Americans lol nor Latvians either.
1 Mech Inf Bde includes both Danes and Americans though, at least until the aFP Bde stands up. Multi National Divsion North also has all three and Canadians.

To be fair 1 Mech Inf Bde owns the eFP or at least have command of them. Or did in 2020. The American and Danes may not fall under the eFP Latvia BG but they are part of the NATO enhance forward presence in totality.

Crazy thought - maybe no Canadians volunteered as we’re mid / have just completed the RIP?

@Halifax Tar they just arrived; if you’re on Mel’s you’re loosing your spot. I know it’s hard to fathom but most of the guys going over actually want to and there’s a fully man Op Res happy to take their spots.

That was a joke homie... Sheesh.

I don’t know why you’re saying “still possible” when I posted the video from their page claiming it’s their personnel.
Let’s say it’s still ambiguous to me. The eFP did not post the video. The NATO account posted the video and eFP shared that NATO post. Yes, they said that they came together to wish a merry Christmas, and it is not unreasonable to interpret that as meaning they are the ones in the video. But it is still not explicit and, as has been pointed out, the composition of the group looks more like another group as it includes nations that are not eFP while missing more than just Canadians from eFP.

Let’s say it’s still ambiguous to me. The eFP did not post the video. The NATO account posted the video and eFP shared that NATO post. Yes, they said that they came together to wish a merry Christmas, and it is not unreasonable to interpret that as meaning they are the ones in the video. But it is still not explicit and, as has been pointed out, the composition of the group looks more like another group as it includes nations that are not eFP while missing more than just Canadians from eFP.

It’s probably just a collection of troops from all across the Bde, including eFP (both the BG and other forward presence deployments), and misssing those that didn’t volunteer. But we should probably argue this for another 3 pages.

Last edited:
We could go another three pages, but I think we can instead agree that there is not sufficient evidence on the internet for anyone to throw a teddy in the corner and declare the video a slight to Canada.

Serious question: with all the concerns over manpower shortfalls would we have greater or fewer problems if we were to properly position and supply a base in Europe as we did with 4 wing prior to the gulf war? I totally appreciate the extra costs of shipping families offshore (been there and done that), providing schooling and medical facilities, and myriad other issues that all cost money but the notion of having family nearby vs. saying goodbye for six months might solve other problems?? Just asking

Serious question: with all the concerns over manpower shortfalls would we have greater or fewer problems if we were to properly position and supply a base in Europe as we did with 4 wing prior to the gulf war? I totally appreciate the extra costs of shipping families offshore (been there and done that), providing schooling and medical facilities, and myriad other issues that all cost money but the notion of having family nearby vs. saying goodbye for six months might solve other problems?? Just asking

So the bases we had in Europe post Cold War were the product of decades of investment and previous folks laying the groundwork.

Also, there was a hell of an incentive to head to German for a 4 year stint, as the benefits were well established both financially and "score, Eurotrip!" for a lot of spouses.

In 2022, the eFP set up is currently not suitable for posting our members or families for a CMBG or a Wing. We have trouble maintaining, let alone building, infrastructure in Canada for our current members. Also, the CAF has changed in that spouse X has a career and doesn't take kindly to dropping it all to live in Eastern Europe for 4 years; hell we cant even get folks to move to Kingston for that very reason.Factor in building a CFB from scratch in Latvia and the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Furthermore, who is going to flesh out the new organizations when we're already dying for folks to full out the brigades/wings we have here? I'm sure Comd 1 CMBG would be tickled pink to find out he's short 1 x Inf Bn, 1 x Armd/Eng Sqn, Atts and Dets from QGET, as well as Svc Bn to flesh out the new ORBAT in Latvia during the Lentus season. Echo that across 2/5 CMBG, or any various RCAF establishments and it's the same frustration.

The reforms made in 1994 sacrificed 30 years of capabilities and facilities for momentary gain. Here we are 28 years later and it's going to take another 30 to recoup the losses; and that's if we decide to regain those capabilities back.

I am extremely doubtful I will see it while I still wear the uniform.

Back