• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Installation of Tampon Dispensers in all Washrooms

And the cost of this whole thing goes up.
This is like the dumbass stunt like destroying Nikes or Bud Lights because they don’t agree with their stance on something.

They buy some just to intentionally destroy them, ironically making that company money.

In this case, those folks destroy the boxes or take all of the tampons, causing the Govt to spend more $ to that company to replace the boxes or refill them.

Hell, if I was part of that company, I wouldn’t even be mad.

And the vandalism skews the usage stats. I'm not seeing the levels go down at all since they were installed. I'm sure it's a good thing for the users who are at the lower income levels and every penny counts, but most will have very specific preferences and will only access the free ones in emergencies.

It would have been much more useful and would benefit more people for the govt to eliminate the taxes on menstrual products.

For the same reason we don’t pay sales taxes on food groceries as a category- they’re an absolute necessity, not a discretionary luxury.
Some foods are taxed. It depends on how advanced the conversion of ingredients from raw to table-ready is. Some other things that are absolute necessities to the people who use them are subject to GST, too. "Necessity" isn't a universally respected criterion, so it shouldn't be used to justify GST exemption. If we're going to be compassionate, we first ought to agree not to leave anyone out.

Some foods are taxed. It depends on how advanced the conversion of ingredients from raw to table-ready is. Some other things that are absolute necessities to the people who use them are subject to GST, too. "Necessity" isn't a universally respected criterion, so it shouldn't be used to justify GST exemption. If we're going to be compassionate, we first ought to agree not to leave anyone out.
More precisely, it’s certain ‘basic grocery’ (non-junk) items, but the conversation didn’t call for a great deal of precision. For those interested in knowing more, and exact guide us here.

Speaking only to the exemption from menstrual products from sales tax, I believe it’s a sound policy option and I will support it, but I’m not going to burn a Saturday arguing it. We have different views and that’s fine.

Speaking only to the exemption from menstrual products from sales tax, I believe it’s a sound policy option and I will support it, but I’m not going to burn a Saturday arguing it. We have different views and that’s fine.
I agree with you - perfection isn't an excuse to take no steps at all - but I'd prefer to see a movement rather than a single stride. I've almost stopped supporting other people's good ideas because once they get what they want they seem to always range from indifferent to hostile to my interests.

This is like the dumbass stunt like destroying Nikes or Bud Lights because they don’t agree with their stance on something.

They buy some just to intentionally destroy them, ironically making that company money.
Big picture, there's not enough people buying it to destroy to counteract the number of regular consumers longer buying it at all. Bud Light lost a billion dollars from the boycott.

Big picture, there's not enough people buying it to destroy to counteract the number of regular consumers longer buying it at all. Bud Light lost a billion dollars from the boycott.

Or maybe people just realized it was shit beer …

I fail to understand why treat everyone equitably can’t just be a policy.
Because the activist pushing this do not want equality. I know two gay couples M/M & F/F. Both couples reflect a quiet majority of gays not busy protesting. What most of the quiet majority wanted was to marry the person of their choice, share benefits and not get the crap beaten out of them regularly. They have achieved this goal and are content and there are few people who have a major problem with those 3 goals. The activists however must ensure the "Revolution continues" Without the constant push, they lose their purpose and possibly their paycheque.

Back