• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 Wildfire Season

I am fairly certain that Parks Canada gets a say about the townsite.

If the town of Jasper wants to issue a building permit for a story hotel, it is almost a certainty Parks Canada could veto it (hypothetical situation…)

The activities of the municipal government of Jasper are authorized/regulated by (among many other federal and provincial statutory instruments):

Agreement for the Establishment of Local Government in Jasper dated June 13th, 2001

The activities of the municipal government of Jasper are authorized/regulated by (among many other federal and provincial statutory instruments):

Agreement for the Establishment of Local Government in Jasper dated June 13th, 2001

And the Federal forest management policies are 'drawing fire' now...

Opinion: 'Green' forest policy turned Jasper into a tinderbox​

The recent and ongoing disaster in Jasper National Park will undoubtedly generate a slew of commentary about the inevitable effects of climate change. While I readily agree that climate change is a huge factor in the spread of wildfires, in the current instance, it is not that simple.

I believe that a major part of the immediate problem in Jasper — which could have been considerably mitigated in all of the Rocky Mountain national parks — is the Parks Canada “green” policy of protecting the forest in all of the Rocky Mountain national parks as the primary objective of all of their current policies and operational activities.

Some 25 years ago, in my capacity then as deputy minister for Community Development, including responsibility for managing Alberta provincial parks, I was personally present at a meeting with senior Parks Canada and Alberta officials. At that meeting Fred McDougall, the Alberta deputy minister of Forestry, eloquently and passionately chastised the federal officials for their lack of foresight, stating unequivocally that their commitment to maximum preservation as the cornerstone of their forestry management policy was creating an explosive situation they would live to regret.

Several years ago, Waterton Lakes National Park experienced the first direct result of that failure to adapt. Now Jasper National Park is experiencing the same fate. Can Banff National Park dodge the bullet?

I seriously doubt that it will, as all three of these parks abut significant prairie regions, which for timeless millennia directly influenced the landscapes of the front ranges of the Rocky Mountains by channeling prairie fires into the valley bottoms and adjacent uplands.

And the Federal forest management policies are 'drawing fire' now...

Opinion: 'Green' forest policy turned Jasper into a tinderbox​

The recent and ongoing disaster in Jasper National Park will undoubtedly generate a slew of commentary about the inevitable effects of climate change. While I readily agree that climate change is a huge factor in the spread of wildfires, in the current instance, it is not that simple.

I believe that a major part of the immediate problem in Jasper — which could have been considerably mitigated in all of the Rocky Mountain national parks — is the Parks Canada “green” policy of protecting the forest in all of the Rocky Mountain national parks as the primary objective of all of their current policies and operational activities.

Some 25 years ago, in my capacity then as deputy minister for Community Development, including responsibility for managing Alberta provincial parks, I was personally present at a meeting with senior Parks Canada and Alberta officials. At that meeting Fred McDougall, the Alberta deputy minister of Forestry, eloquently and passionately chastised the federal officials for their lack of foresight, stating unequivocally that their commitment to maximum preservation as the cornerstone of their forestry management policy was creating an explosive situation they would live to regret.

Several years ago, Waterton Lakes National Park experienced the first direct result of that failure to adapt. Now Jasper National Park is experiencing the same fate. Can Banff National Park dodge the bullet?

I seriously doubt that it will, as all three of these parks abut significant prairie regions, which for timeless millennia directly influenced the landscapes of the front ranges of the Rocky Mountains by channeling prairie fires into the valley bottoms and adjacent uplands.

I would say this is very accurate. My wife and I have been going to Jasper every summer for the last 10 years and anyone that was paying attention could see there was a problem. The forests were full of dead trees and the problem just kept getting worse until we ended up with this disaster. Unfortunately I expect Banff will ended up in the same situation since the feds in charge of the parks will hold endless meetings and study the problem until well after the park and/or town burn down. The minister in charge of the national parks already said they had done 'everything' possible to avoid this. To my eye his 'everything' is actually synonymous with 'nothing'.

I would say this is very accurate. My wife and I have been going to Jasper every summer for the last 10 years and anyone that was paying attention could see there was a problem. The forests were full of dead trees and the problem just kept getting worse until we ended up with this disaster. Unfortunately I expect Banff will ended up in the same situation since the feds in charge of the parks will hold endless meetings and study the problem until well after the park and/or town burn down. The minister in charge of the national parks already said they had done 'everything' possible to avoid this. To my eye his 'everything' is actually synonymous with 'nothing'.
reading elsewhere, and I don't remember exactly where, that the only way to properly correct the problem is with a major fire such as the one that just hit Jasper. And by blaming global warming, the feds. are ensuring that remedial action of any nature will be too little and too late. By the by, did you read where the temperatures in the Antarctic have hit all time record lows at -79?

Is the actual townsite not a normal municipality?
From what I’ve been told, Jasper and Banff had referenda a few decades ago about becoming municipalities. Up to then, both towns were administered by Parks Canada. Banff chose to become a municipality and Jasper chose to remain administered by Parks Canada. Not sure if that changed since.

Talking to a friend of mine involved in fire management in Banff, the biggest opposition to fire remediation was the municipality and tourism businesses. They didn’t want tourists’ views to be smoked out or tourists to see any mechanical thinning or spacing. Even back in the 90’s, he described the Bow Valley as a tinder box waiting for the right conditions.

Start with the premise that eventually almost every hectare of forest is subject to fire at some time.

Now, what do you do?

Communities can protect themselves and infrastructure with mitigation strategies like FireSmart programs and prescribed burning. But you need buy-in from the locals.

My hometown was saved in large part because of FireSmart strategies for 30 years. Areas that weren’t treated burned more intensely and hotter than treated areas closer to town.

Property owners outside of communities should also take steps to mitigate against wildfires.

Attending last week’s 49th Natural Hazards Workshop in Colorado, several sessions discussed the urban interface with wildfires and various topics aligned with preparedness and mitigation for the risks from wildfires. Repeatedly, the message is clear, 90% of a successful effort is accomplished before a fire begins. Programs, such as FireSmart, removing burnable debris to 33 feet from habitable buildings and to use non-flammable building materials reduces the start of ember blown fires.

Once a wildfire begins, there was strong agreement that most firefighting efforts centre on saving lives over property. Therefore, allowing most things, such as buildings to simply burn the fuel sources out. No community has enough resources to save all buildings in any wildfire.

Some of the key experts involved in these panel discussions included, Chief Drew Smith, Los Angles County Fire Department, Sophia Soudani, LA County Board of Supervisors and Chief Kelly Burns, Ashland, Oregon.
Apropos

Interesting clip from BCWS regarding how many of X are deployed to fight fires.
While there isn’t a breakdown between rotary and fixed wing aircraft, there are about 196 aircraft of all types being used in the province. I would imagine Alberta is close to that number. The cost of flying nearly 200 aircraft nearly all day for weeks/months on end has to be huge. I wonder what the daily “sortie” rate is.

Also, surprisingly low # of heavy equipment which suggest not a lot of accessible terrain for building firebreaks.

As I wrote in a much earlier post, the wildfire near our farm was first contained using a jet aircraft painting red retardant around the fire, hammered by choppers dropping buckets of water on targets, and then extinguished under the tracks of dozers and later soaked by water trucks. That’s apparently text book and very rarely possible in BC.
For example the fire in Mara lake (Shuswap) currently out of control for weeks, it was only yesterday that ground crews could get at it because of the steepness of the terrain, lack of an accessible road, and hot weather pretty much scorching anyone on the ground nearby. (Almost 50C).

Attachments

• IMG_0111.png
    IMG_0111.png
    242.1 KB · Views: 4
Interesting clip from BCWS regarding how many of X are deployed to fight fires.
While there isn’t a breakdown between rotary and fixed wing aircraft, there are about 196 aircraft of all types being used in the province. I would imagine Alberta is close to that number. The cost of flying nearly 200 aircraft nearly all day for weeks/months on end has to be huge. I wonder what the daily “sortie” rate is.
Had to try to add the Alberta information up as it's not published in the same manner. So based upon what I could add up for the forest areas via the wildfire app plus some Jasper updates:
1160 firefighters. 88 helicopters. 118 pieces of equipment (not counting at least 4 more with equipment groups). 7 IMT's deployed.
This would not include initial attack crews, air tanker numbers, pre-suppression aircraft/equipment (for new starts), and support roles for bases/districts.

Out of interest is the CIFFC situation report which shows where resources have been sent and where from:
CIFFC

I would imagine Alberta is close to that number. The cost of flying nearly 200 aircraft nearly all day for weeks/months on end has to be huge. I wonder what the daily “sortie” rate is.
In regards to the "sortie" rate most aircraft on the incidents are flying maximums (usually 8 hours) and would be limited to any extended days by federal aviation safety rules. Air Tankers are different due to the role/readiness for new starts and I would be unable to comment.
Also, surprisingly low # of heavy equipment which suggest not a lot of accessible terrain for building firebreaks.
BC also has many more rules around how heavy equipment can be used and access, not just slope, remains a major issue. If it will take several weeks to move enough of a scree slope to get the equipment up to the fire on a steep hill...it's just not an option. In Alberta topography tends to be less limiting and frankly we don't have the restriction to log the right of way prior to building guard like BC has...so much more agressive heavy equipment shows here.

But regardless of aircraft type, or heavy equipment used....it still takes manpower to do the dirty work and ensure the perimeter is secure and then fully out.

Back