• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

09 May 2014 - Parade to mark the end of Canadian Ops in Afghanistan

Petard said:
Like everyone else that's still stumbling around trying to figure out how we're to recognize this event in home locations, the unit I'm with, 56 Fd, has tried to improvise something
We'll be approaching local news seeking their interest in covering this by possibly doing interviews of P Res soldiers from the region that served overseas. From ~100 personnel in the unit, 60 deployed, so there are quite a few stories to be told, but whether or not the media chooses to tell those stories, or focuses instead on the lack of planning and partisan approach of the GoC, of course remains up to the media.

Otherwise, I haven't seen a thing on how this day is to be recognized, if you're not in Ottawa (mitt hootchie gear & DEU)

Whoever is coming to Ottawa please be aware I am coming as a civilian....strange as that sounds. Hope to meet a few of you there.

Cheers!

My guess is they're trying to play it down due to the questionable coverage Harper got in the press as a result of the RCAF post=Libya parade:

Analysis | Is Harper trying to increase Canada's military might?

The federal government paid tribute to its role in the Libya campaign Thursday with a flashy display of military might on Parliament Hill, a ceremony that some observers viewed as a way of declaring Canada's more muscular role on the global stage.

The celebratory event, which was attended by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, Defence Minister Peter MacKay as well as a host of military officials, included a flypast by CF-18 fighter jets, a 21-gun salute and the awarding of a Meritorious Service Cross (Military Division) to Lt.-Gen. Charles Bouchard, the Canadian air force general who commanded the NATO mission in Libya.

Some saw it as a conventional victory parade. "It is a celebration of sorts, there's no question, but it's within military tradition," said Michel Drapeau, a professor of military law at the University of Ottawa, who pointed to similar victory parades held in Canada for V-Day and the Korean War.

But others remarked on how out-of-character the ceremony seemed for a country that for decades has tended to play down its military. Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy, views the ceremony as an exercise in "self-glorification."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/analysis-is-harper-trying-to-increase-canada-s-military-might-1.1060798

In Windsor, Ontario:

Public service announcement

Civic Day of Honour and Memorial Service

(WINDSOR, ONTARIO)
For Immediate Release

Mayor Eddie Francis has declared 9 May 14 a “Civic Day of Honour” in the City of Windsor. This Proclamation recognizes the obligation of civic acts of remembrance and the City’s commitment to commemorating the service and sacrifices made by members of the Canadian Armed Forces and NATO peacekeepers in Afghanistan, and to recognizing and supporting the friends and families of the fallen.

The “Civic Day of Honour” will be commemorated in Windsor at the Cenotaph in City Hall Square at 1000hrs on 9 May-14 with a reading of the names of the 158 fallen from the Afganistan theatre followed by a moment of silence and a rededication of the Cenotaph to include the addition of the years 2002-2014. An interpretive panel on the grounds of the Cenotaph will also be dedicated to the service and sacrifice of those from our community who have served and sacrificed as a result of the War in Afghanistan.

The “Civic Day of Honour” military unit parade will step off from Dieppe Gardens at 0945hrs, proceed south on Ouellette Avenue to University Avenue, east and onto the parade ground at the Cenotaph square.

The public is invited to gather at the Cenotaph on 9 May-14 to honor all who served Canada and came home; to remember all who served and fell and rest eternally.

I'm going to the parade. The city is making an effort, so will I. I imagine there'll be a luncheon and drinks in the Mess afterwards, so I'll attend that also.

Just for a sandwich and to say hi to some fellow Vets.

Can't hang about though, going turkey hunting for the weekend, starting Fri afternoon  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
But others remarked on how out-of-character the ceremony seemed for a country that for decades has tended to play down its military. Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy, views the ceremony as an exercise in "self-glorification."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/analysis-is-harper-trying-to-increase-canada-s-military-might-1.1060798

Mr Clarkson is also notable for his ex-wife, who alter went on to some renown in media and political circles...

daftandbarmy said:
Stephen Clarkson, a University of Toronto professor with an expertise in Canadian foreign policy  Liberal Party politics......
Gee, that such a person would say "Harper; bad"......  :boring:

dapaterson said:
Mr Clarkson is also notable for his ex-wife, who alter went on to some renown in media and political circles...

..... and associated with certain terrorist organizations

daftandbarmy said:
..... and associated with certain terrorist organizations

Adrienne Clarkson?! You may be thinking of another Governor-General...

He may have been the first Canadian who lost a limb in Afghanistan to return but he was not the first amputee on a prostetic limb to serve in Afghanistan.  There was one in my Unit on Roto 3.  That in no way takes from his accomplishment and I'm glad to see the representation from those who served and lost so much.

daftandbarmy said:
Oops. Wrong one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micha%C3%ABlle_Jean

My bad

Indeed  John Ralston Saul has only ever terrorized us with turgid prose and laboured and tortuous philosophical ramblings....

I just hope that somebody films and posts the landing of the Chinook on the front lawn of Parliament the evening before.

Awkward moment when post 9 May 2014 - the PM discovers that the CF is still very much active in the Afghanistan theatre...

Well, since it's over, I think it's safe to disclose that our parade was today, not 9 May... Why, we have no idea  :blotto:

Loachman said:
I just hope that somebody films and posts the landing of the Chinook on the front lawn of Parliament the evening before.

I'll try and get some footage from the air from the backup CH-146 tomorrow night.

Welshy said:
I'll try and get some footage from the air from the backup CH-146 tomorrow night.

I hope you're not suggesting that our new Chinooks need a backup aircraft already.  ;D

I'm sure the Sqn Commander would be less than thrilled at that connotation  ;)

j/k  8)

Back