• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

101st Abn Div Will Be Air Assault Once Again

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
The 101st had had 2 combat aviation brigades but lost on to budget cuts. That is going to change.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2019/10/16/after-almost-5-years-armys-101st-airborne-will-return-full-air-assault-power.html

Makes you realize just how robust American units are, completely in a league of their own. 

48 heavy lift helicopters just to support that one unit - not including attack helicopters, utility helicopters, etc etc.  Unreal the amount of utility they have built in organically to their units.

Years ago, I can't remember exactly what base we were visiting, for an exercise.  I'm talking probably over a decade ago now.  We were rolling around from one part of the training grounds to another on school buses, and there were some Brits with us. 

I remember us driving by ONE of the airfields on that base (there were 2 or 3 if I remember correctly) - and a senior Brit WO just looked in bewilderment, along with the rest of us.  There seemed like there were more helicopters on that one airfield than in the entire CAF, and I think the British WO said something similar about the RAF. 

Was just amazing to see rows upon rows, each with dozens of helicopters.  Just parked outside like they were cars.  :eek:

CBH99 said:
Makes you realize just how robust American units are, completely in a league of their own. 

48 heavy lift helicopters just to support that one unit - not including attack helicopters, utility helicopters, etc etc.  Unreal the amount of utility they have built in organically to their units.

Years ago, I can't remember exactly what base we were visiting, for an exercise.  I'm talking probably over a decade ago now.  We were rolling around from one part of the training grounds to another on school buses, and there were some Brits with us. 

I remember us driving by ONE of the airfields on that base (there were 2 or 3 if I remember correctly) - and a senior Brit WO just looked in bewilderment, along with the rest of us.  There seemed like there were more helicopters on that one airfield than in the entire CAF, and I think the British WO said something similar about the RAF. 

Was just amazing to see rows upon rows, each with dozens of helicopters.  Just parked outside like they were cars.  :eek:

Maybe FT Lewis or another Corps installation. I Corps has as many Chinooks as the entire British Army. Ft Bragg and Ft Hood would be the same.

Fort Polk 1996 with 101 Abn Div. We had a pickup at about midnight. Looking up through NVGs all we saw was rotor static.

Those guys can fu8kn fly.

As best as I can figure, the Royal Canadian Air Force has the following rotary wing aircraft which support ground units: Original purchase of 100 Griffin (not sure how many remain airworthy) and 15 Chinook.

One (I say again: one) Army Reserve National Guard Divisional Combat Aviation Brigade (CAB) has:

Thus all ARNG aviation brigades consist of attack reconnaissance battalion (24 AH-64 Apache), security and support battalion (24 UH-72 Lakota), assault helicopter battalion (30 UH-60 Black Hawk), general support aviation battalion (8 UH-60, 12 CH-47 Chinook and 15 HH-60M), UAV company (12 MQ-1C Gray Eagle), and aviation support battalion.

Basically there are as many (and better) helicopters in one ARNG CAB as in the entire RCAF (not counting training and search and rescue helicopters).

There are eight NG CABs and a further 4 ARNG and 2 Army Reserve Separate CABs.

There are ten Active Army Divisional CABs and two sepaprate CABs configured as follows:

1x Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC)
1x Air Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron (ACRS) (24 × AH-64E Apache and 12 × RQ-7 Shadow)
1x Attack Reconnaissance Battalion (ARB) (24 × AH-64E Apache)
1x Assault Helicopter Battalion (AHB) (30 × UH-60 Black Hawk)
1x General Support Aviation Battalion (GSAB) (8 × UH-60 Command Aviation, 12 × CH-47F Chinook and 12 × HH-60M)
1x Aviation Support Battalion (ASB)

Some of the establishments vary from the standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Aviation_Brigade

Fort Rucker alone has 10 times more Chinooks than the RCAF.

Back