• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

12 Dec 05 Afghan landmine explosion injures 3 Cdn. soldiers

I went to school with one of the guys injured, and his really good friend is a co-worker of mine.

Hope they all get better soon!

On another note, I read the local paper and on the front page they've got a picture of the LER capbadge...not the PPLCI..hmm....

In the UK journalist's account of the incident, I noted high praise for the Cdn soldiers in general, and our MAs in particular. Thank God that when we get hurt we can rely on soldiers like Armymedic. Our lives are in good hands.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to our troops in Afgh. God Bless, safe tour and a speedy return home.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20051220/soldier_051220/20051220?hub=TopStories

Edmonton soldiers could face lifelong injuries
CTV.ca News Staff

The Canadian soldiers injured in Afghanistan last week met the media on Tuesday in hospital garb, sitting in wheelchairs and dealing with injuries that could last forever. But both men said they would be in worse shape if they hadn't been in a G Wagon.

Capt. Manuel Panchana-Moya and Pte. Ryan Crawford were hit by a roadside bomb Dec. 12 while riding in one of the army's Jeep-style Galaendewagens. The blast completely destroyed the vehicle, but both soldiers credit it with saving their lives.

"I believe that the G Wagon did take care of us very well," said Crawford, who was driving at the time.

The soldiers, part of the 150-strong Provincial Reconstruction Team, were hit just outside of Kandahar.

"Is it the best thing out there? I don't know, but I'm sure it had a big part to play in our incident," said crew commander Panchana-Moya, not convinced the vehicle was the best the army could get.

Military officials have suggested the pair might not have survived if they had been riding in the light-duty, open-top jeeps once used by Canada's military in Afghanistan. The G Wagon is an enclosed vehicle with armour plating and thick, shock-resistant windows.

The news conference was held in a board room at University of Alberta Hospital. Both soldiers are part of the Edmonton-based 3rd battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry.

Another Edmonton-based soldier and a journalist were shaken up but not seriously injured by the blast, which officials believe came from a makeshift bomb.

Panchana-Moya and Crawford are likely to be stuck in their hospital scrubs over Christmas. Crawford has one badly broken heel and leg, and Panchana-Moya has a left ankle with a double fracture and a shattered opposite heel. Doctors are saying some of the damage could be permanent and both face more surgery.

"They'll probably be able to walk well, but the difficulty will be running, and walking on uneven ground, things like that" said their surgeon. Maj. Robert Stielgelmar.

"I was angry at the beginning, for the first few days. But you learn to live with it," said Panchana-Moya. "It happened and there's no use dwelling on it."

"We consider ourselves very, very lucky," he told reporters. "There was a big, very loud and hot bang that probably lasted not even a second."

He said he remembers looking down to check his legs afterward because there was so much pain.

Crawford said the outing seemed like any other day on patrol until the blast, which sent his life flashing past his eyes.

The men were initially looked after by the others in the vehicle, and then picked up by a U.S. helicopter about 30 minutes later. They were flown to Germany and then to Canada the following day, Dec. 13, the same day Crawford turned 24.

Both said they have no regrets and would go back to Afghanistan if given the chance, but they're happy to be surrounded by their families for the holidays, especially now.

Crawford's mother told CTV News how hard it is to see something so unimaginable happen to her child.

"I'm doing okay, but it's really tough to see your child going through this, though," said Carol Williams. "It's really difficult."

About 1,300 soldiers from the same garrison will be going to Afghanistan in February to replace the soldiers there now.

i just want to say that journalist is my brother. And I'm sure like the men in the vehicle he is nothing but professional!. I'm sure he would not of been allowed to travel with the army if he was anything else. so please don't imply that he was unprofessional. He has told me how impressed he is with the Canadian army, and i hope the injured soldiers are all doing well.My brother was also in  the explosion so please spare a thought for him and his family.

Liz
Our family sunday night family dinners were some what of a war zone as I too have a brother that is a journalists. Both of us as professional as could be in our respective occupations. Unfortunatly, it seems the only reality some of our younger posters have to go on is from spending to much time in front of the tele. I have followed this episode from start to it's current status and nothing has led me to believe that your brother was anything but the consumate professional. In closing may I wish you, your brother and family the best

I believe that I read an article by your brother regarding the IED strike in Dec.  It was an excellent piece and I was very impressed by his actions.  I've had embedded journalists with me before and I hold them in very high regard.  They get the word out about what our troops are doing and going through.  Please pass on my regards!

Cheers,

2B

stumbled across the thread i know of the personell injured in the blast ..glad the G wagon is living up to what the claims are . i generally had no problems with embedded reporters ..

Back