• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is American but I thought it was relevant to the conversation we were having about raising minimum wage in Canada.

The economy under President Donald Trump and the Republican-controlled Congress is firing on all cylinders. Immediately following the passing of the GOP tax plan in the House, numerous businesses announced plans to grow their companies and compensate their employees with bonuses and higher wages due to the newly freed-up cash.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25725/trumponomics-walmart-hikes-wages-shells-out-amanda-prestigiacomo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Could we not have done something similar?

Jarnhamar said:
This is American but I thought it was relevant to the conversation we were having about raising minimum wage in Canada.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/25725/trumponomics-walmart-hikes-wages-shells-out-amanda-prestigiacomo?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=062316-news&utm_campaign=benshapiro

Liberals? Cut Taxes?  :rofl:

:cheers:

Jarnhamar said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-gop-tax-reform-bill-impact-economy-business-debt-income-2017-12

The "static" score of the bill — the amount of projected debt added when economic growth is not factored in — shows that the deficit would grow by about $1.5 trillion in the decade after the bill is implemented.

Republicans argue that the new economic growth from the bill will in turn generate more revenue, since larger incomes mean more taxes to collect.

Even so, experts do not believe the bill will totally pay for itself, as GOP leaders have claimed.

The most optimistic assumption by the Tax Foundation estimated that even with new growth, the bill would increase the deficit by $448 billion over 10 years. The JCT said the bill would add around $1 trillion to the deficit, while the TPC estimated that number would be a little under $1.3 trillion.
I thought people hated adding on more debt.

Altair said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-gop-tax-reform-bill-impact-economy-business-debt-income-2017-12
I thought people hated adding on more debt.

Not this guy.

But all that to say if we gave a tac credit orowered income taxes we'd be billions more in debt? We should be more careful where we spend money I guess.

448 billion over 10 years.  Didn't Obama do that in less than 1 year?  Just asking.

YZT580 said:
448 billion over 10 years.  Didn't Obama do that in less than 1 year?  Just asking.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/127136/post-1515883.html#new

Cheers
Larry

Jarnhamar said:

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

What?  Close 63 stores and lay off thousands of workers?  Then cover that up by announcing a raise that was likely coming anyway due to over-employment in the US? 

PPCLI Guy said:
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

What?  Close 63 stores and lay off thousands of workers?  Then cover that up by announcing a raise that was likely coming anyway due to over-employment in the US?

Nope! Definitely wasnt going for that angle. I was even going to say I'm surprised considering Walmart's past behavior but I guess we know why.  Easy to imagine Walmart's pay increase and benefits come from those other sub stores closing.

After a thorough review, it became clear we had built clubs in some locations that impacted other clubs, and where population had not grown as anticipated," Furner said in the email. "We will be closing some clubs, and we notified them today. We'll convert some of them into eCommerce fulfillment centers - to better serve the growing number of members shopping with us online and continue scaling the SamsClub.com business."
Maybe a bit like our target and sears stores.

Still couldn't we have lowered income tax for low income people instead?

Jarnhamar said:
Still couldn't we have lowered income tax for low income people instead?

I would be all for that - even if it meant raising taxes for me, or reducing "tax expenditures" elsewhere.  I would not however suggest going full hog into deficit spending like the Americans have (even though I think that our national fetish for balanced budgets does more harm than good).

YZT580 said:
he definitely did.

However, this is taken just by itself. Whatever the regular budget deficit would be over 10 years, tack that on to it.

With all the heat the LPC gets for deficit spending I doubt they would be making many friends by cutting taxes and making the budget deficit even bigger.

PPCLI Guy said:
I would be all for that - even if it meant raising taxes for me, or reducing "tax expenditures" elsewhere.  I would not however suggest going full hog into deficit spending like the Americans have (even though I think that our national fetish for balanced budgets does more harm than good).

National fetish for balanced budgets?

In what jurisdiction? near as I can tell, only BC has a budget surplus and that is looking pretty shaky.

A what point does the combined borrowing of all but one province, plus the federal government begin to threaten Canada's future?

SeaKingTacco said:
National fetish for balanced budgets?

In what jurisdiction? near as I can tell, only BC has a budget surplus and that is looking pretty shaky.

A what point does the combined borrowing of all but one province, plus the federal government begin to threaten Canada's future?
you forgot Quebec.

They have had one for a three years now I think. A liberal government too, go figure.

Altair said:
you forgot Quebec.

They have had one for a three years now I think. A liberal government too, go figure.

I did not forget Quebec. When you get 11 billion per year in equalization from the federal government, unless your surplus is greater than that, you are not really running a surplus....

Realizing how nasty that sounds, I hasten to add- good on them for improving dramatically their fiscal situation from how it used to be.

SeaKingTacco said:

A long time ago, actually. We also have $500 billion+ in unfunded liabilities (pensions and benefits, mostly), so Canada is well over a trillion dollars in the hole. The problem is multifold, either we are no longer able to cover our debt obligations and stiff bondholders and pensioners, or continue to paper over the issue and risk inflation, or see the debt overhang drag us back into a 2008 style economic crash (the biggest one before that happened in 1929....). The remarkable thing is we can even see some or all of these things happen together (remember "Stagflation" in the late 1970's, or Japan's lost decade of the 1990's?). So as Instapundit often says, things only continue until they no longer can.

Some combination of market shock, political event or black swan (i.e a west coast earthquake)might be the trigger, or simply the growing realization that, hey, you're never going to get that pension, your benefits will be gone and your prospects of getting ahead in the wage and job market reaches a tipping point.

Now the government may be forced to take action prior to a meltdown (Paul Martin did this with some pretty ruthless spending cuts in the 1990's when Canada's dollar was being mocked as the Northern Peso), or we may be lifted with someone elses rising tide (Canada's unexpectedly robust job figures recently are no surprise when you remember that 70%+ of our exports go to the United States, and their economy is now rapidly gathering steam), which gives us more time if we actively take advantage of these events.

Looking at things like Ontario's spiking minimum wages, or the Federal governments commitment to strangle the energy industry, or raising taxes and regulations counter to the Americans makes me believe that, like Von Moltke's "Industrious and Stupid" officer, we are spinning our wheels for the foreseeable future rather than actively taking advantage of the events.

The discussion above about the perceived or real evils of political parties, and of the various systems for getting them into office, reminded me of George Washington's prescient words in his 1796 Farewell Address (below). Much of what he had to say is (IMHO) applicable in both the US and Canada today. I've highlighted a couple of phrases which seem very relevant today:

I have already intimated to you the danger of parties in the State, with particular reference to the founding of them on geographical discriminations. Let me now take a more comprehensive view, and warn you in the most solemn manner against the baneful effects of the spirit of party generally.

This spirit, unfortunately, is inseparable from our nature, having its root in the strongest passions of the human mind. It exists under different shapes in all governments, more or less stifled, controlled, or repressed; but, in those of the popular form, it is seen in its greatest rankness, and is truly their worst enemy.

The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. But this leads at length to a more formal and permanent despotism. The disorders and miseries which result gradually incline the minds of men to seek security and repose in the absolute power of an individual; and sooner or later the chief of some prevailing faction, more able or more fortunate than his competitors, turns this disposition to the purposes of his own elevation, on the ruins of public liberty.

Without looking forward to an extremity of this kind (which nevertheless ought not to be entirely out of sight), the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it.

It serves always to distract the public councils and enfeeble the public administration. It agitates the community with ill-founded jealousies and false alarms, kindles the animosity of one part against another, foments occasionally riot and insurrection. It opens the door to foreign influence and corruption, which finds a facilitated access to the government itself through the channels of party passions. Thus the policy and the will of one country are subjected to the policy and will of another.

There is an opinion that parties in free countries are useful checks upon the administration of the government and serve to keep alive the spirit of liberty. This within certain limits is probably true; and in governments of a monarchical cast, patriotism may look with indulgence, if not with favor, upon the spirit of party. But in those of the popular character, in governments purely elective, it is a spirit not to be encouraged. From their natural tendency, it is certain there will always be enough of that spirit for every salutary purpose. And there being constant danger of excess, the effort ought to be by force of public opinion, to mitigate and assuage it. A fire not to be quenched, it demands a uniform vigilance to prevent its bursting into a flame, lest, instead of warming, it should consume.

While I understand that running a country without parties might not be practical (or at least be more difficult than it is now), I wonder when and how politicians are able to strike a balance between party advantage and dogma, and the good of the nation.

Kathleen Wynne's hidden acts of ritual human sacrifice have apparently paid off.  (I can't think of any other explanation...)

Head of Ontario PC Party accused of sexual misconduct.  The PC Campaign manager, Brown's chief of staff, and deputy campaign manager (Strategy) have all quit.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/patrick-brown-denies-sexual-misconduct-allegations-from-two-women-1.3774686#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=twitter&_gsc=q3hAGjQ

I shouldn't say for assault or even harassment as everything I'm aware of would be consensual but its always been an open secret that his behaviour wasn't very "family values". I think in Canada the parties must not internally vet their candidates that well. I would expect this to only be the beginning to be honest now that it is out there, and have been waiting for it to break since he was elected leader, always thought that photos would be published with two weeks to go in the election. It's disappointing if this turns out the way I think that the Ontario PC's will have shot themselves in the foot 3 times running, I always preferred another at least partially for this reason.

Having said all that two peoples interpretations of events can be widely different and maybe both valid so i'm a little leery of the #metoo  movement turning into this huge witch hunt without any due process.

Even with what I've heard alleged I'm not sure it should disqualify one as a MP,MPP, PM, Premier.
How much of a private life is one entitled too in politics?
How much of a bearing does your relationship choices have on your ability to govern?
I guess in the end that is up to each individual voter. To be honest I've always been impressed when I've heard Patrick Brown speak but he was a bad choice from the beginning and I do expect this to snowball

This is the only really important part of the article:

None of the allegations have been proven in court.

That being said, he's probably undetectable now. The accusation is as powerful as a conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back