• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
mariomike said:
I wonder the same thing.

And, for the views of another great General (and Prime Minister), here is the Duke of Wellington on party politics:

"...I never felt any inclination to dive deeply in party Politics; I may be wrong but the conviction in my mind is that all the misfortunes of the present reign, the loss of America, the success of the French revolution etc, etc., are to be attributed in a great degree to the Spirit of Party in England;& the feeling I have for a decided party politician is rather that of contempt than any other. I am very certain that his wishes & efforts for his party very frequently prevent him from doing that which is best for the Country; & induce him to take up the cause of foreign powers against Britain, because the cause of Britain is managed by his party opponents..."

Both Washington and Wellington were great commanders and leaders of their nations. Were they right? Would democracy be better off if members voted solely for their conscience, or the wishes of their constituents, and not for the platform of a party?

Welcome to the new McCarthy era of the 20 teens.  Everything old is new again.  Men will be running scared for some time to come.

jollyjacktar said:
Welcome to the new McCarthy era of the 20 teens.  Everything old is new again.  Men will be running scared for some time to come.

I seem to recall the CAF in the late 90's early 2000's was a bit like this.

Our Prime Minister virtue signalling, again, isn't helping. Again he should wait for a bit of clarity before getting involved. ie Boyle ie hijab cutting hoax.

pbi said:
And, for the views of another great General (and Prime Minister), here is the Duke of Wellington on party politics:

"...I never felt any inclination to dive deeply in party Politics; I may be wrong but the conviction in my mind is that all the misfortunes of the present reign, the loss of America, the success of the French revolution etc, etc., are to be attributed in a great degree to the Spirit of Party in England;& the feeling I have for a decided party politician is rather that of contempt than any other. I am very certain that his wishes & efforts for his party very frequently prevent him from doing that which is best for the Country; & induce him to take up the cause of foreign powers against Britain, because the cause of Britain is managed by his party opponents..."

Both Washington and Wellington were great commanders and leaders of their nations. Were they right? Would democracy be better off if members voted solely for their conscience, or the wishes of their constituents, and not for the platform of a party?

Or, to paraphrase LaGuardia, there is no Liberal or Conservative way of fixing a sewer.  :)

benitod said:
I for one was accepting some of their largesse with no criminal intent. I give them to charity. One hostile spy agency course their "payments" through los cubanos. It gets deposited in a bank. We tempt DGSE to steal them. Then CSIS steals them from DGSE. They all go to charity. But I cannot name names! Do you want me to die? Moderator, the question was answered candidly. I have no way going about not answering the question. Before I forget, sir, there is an administrative case against me for insubordination in CSIS. Why? "Stoop down to our level, DV. You can disguise yourself as a transgender like me"- "rank and file" of the Communist Party of Canada.

Has someone stopped their meds against medical advice?

Altair said:
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Weell, maybe not...
Out of an awful situation, the party has an opening to equip itself with a stronger, more likable candidate

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/patrick-brown-resignation-1.4503051

Time will tell after all, I believe someone up thread mentioned Caroline Mulroney......

Interesting times indeed....

Cheers
Larry

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/trudeau-defends-ambassador-under-fire-for-china-trade-comments/article37741264/

Trudeau defends ambassador under fire for China trade comments 23 Jan 18

Extract: 1. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his envoy to Beijing who says Canada now has more in common with China's authoritarian regime than with the United States under President Donald Trump."In some important policy areas such as the environment, global warming, free trade, globalization, the policies of the government of Canada are closer to the policies of the government of China than they are to U.S. policies," Mr. McCallum said Sunday during a visit by Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard.

2. Conservative foreign-affairs critic Erin O'Toole called the Canadian ambassador's comments rash, saying they risk straining relations with the U.S. government during a difficult renegotiation of the North American free-trade agreement. "To suggest we have more in common with China than the United States at a time when we are trying to remind the U.S. of the special relationship is reckless," Mr. O'Toole said.

3. NDP MP Nathan Cullen described Mr. McCallum's comments as facile, saying the average Canadian might be taken aback to hear a government representative saying this country is more in line with "Communist China than our American cousins." The political direction and policies across 50 American states are far closer to Canada's than China's, he argued. "We can't go from best buds because Obama is in office to the U.S. is worse than China because Trump takes over. ... America is a lot more than Donald Trump," Mr. Cullen said.

Meanwhile, as POTUS is seeking new business for the USA at Davos, our PM is up to his usual boring shtick. At least he wore a jacket occasionally instead of rolled sleeves, loose tie.

https://www.thestar.com/business/opinion/2018/01/23/how-justin-trudeau-missed-his-moment-at-davos.html

How Justin Trudeau missed his moment at Davos
- 23 Jan 18

Extract: 1. While the prime minister opened his remarks with trade, and offered a nod toward “progressive values in the context of globalization,” he then veered into a montage of greatest hits on gender parity, diversity, the imbalance of corporate boards, single mothers, the Canada child benefit, future women’s summits, the need for women in STEM, the urgency to create more well-paying middle class jobs. And much more.

Rifleman62 said:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/trudeau-defends-ambassador-under-fire-for-china-trade-comments/article37741264/

Trudeau defends ambassador under fire for China trade comments 23 Jan 18

Extract: 1. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is defending his envoy to Beijing who says Canada now has more in common with China's authoritarian regime than with the United States under President Donald Trump."In some important policy areas such as the environment, global warming, free trade, globalization, the policies of the government of Canada are closer to the policies of the government of China than they are to U.S. policies," Mr. McCallum said Sunday during a visit by Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard.

2. Conservative foreign-affairs critic Erin O'Toole called the Canadian ambassador's comments rash, saying they risk straining relations with the U.S. government during a difficult renegotiation of the North American free-trade agreement. "To suggest we have more in common with China than the United States at a time when we are trying to remind the U.S. of the special relationship is reckless," Mr. O'Toole said.

3. NDP MP Nathan Cullen described Mr. McCallum's comments as facile, saying the average Canadian might be taken aback to hear a government representative saying this country is more in line with "Communist China than our American cousins." The political direction and policies across 50 American states are far closer to Canada's than China's, he argued. "We can't go from best buds because Obama is in office to the U.S. is worse than China because Trump takes over. ... America is a lot more than Donald Trump," Mr. Cullen said.

Meanwhile, as POTUS is seeking new business for the USA at Davos, our PM is up to his usual boring shtick. At least he wore a jacket occasionally instead of rolled sleeves, loose tie.

https://www.thestar.com/business/opinion/2018/01/23/how-justin-trudeau-missed-his-moment-at-davos.html

How Justin Trudeau missed his moment at Davos
- 23 Jan 18

Extract: 1. While the prime minister opened his remarks with trade, and offered a nod toward “progressive values in the context of globalization,” he then veered into a montage of greatest hits on gender parity, diversity, the imbalance of corporate boards, single mothers, the Canada child benefit, future women’s summits, the need for women in STEM, the urgency to create more well-paying middle class jobs. And much more.
Lets break it down
In some important policy areas
Some policy areas, not government type
such as the environment
China is in the Paris accord, USA is not, fair enough
, global warming
China accepts that it's happening, current US administration not so much
, free trade
China is looking to expand their trade deals, as is Canada, the USA walked away from TPP, started the whole NAFTA re negotiations, and they will be the ones to walk away from the current deal, fair point
  globalization
Not buying that one, that's a miss
, the policies of the government of Canada are closer to the policies of the government of China than they are to U.S. policies
Seems like they are, policy wise.

Still not the smartest thing to say while NAFTA talks are going on, but on the other hand, when the president is tweeting that the deal is the worst ever and he will probably tear it up all the while imposing duties on softwood, airplanes, newsprint and the like and pretty much engaging in a trade war before the deal is even dead, I really don't think anything the ambassador to china says really moves the needle all that much.

As for the PM in Davos versus trump, I'll look at it this way. Trump is there looking for new business for the USA, Canada is set to sign a deal that will give Canadian business access to 500 million people, shortly after signing another deal that gave Canadian business access to a additional 500 million people. Actions speak louder than words.

I agree somewhat with Altair here. While we definitely need to be wise and careful in our dealings with the US on free trade ( a vital national interest for us, IMHO), we are a sovereign nation and we should act like one. We have known for decades that we would do well to diversify our trade away from total dependency on the US: now with a fickle and apparently ill-informed President in office, that makes even more sense.

Dealing happily with questionable regimes is realpolitik and pragmatism: the US is and has often been one of the world's greatest practitioners of this. Instead of silly moralizing finger-wagging at tge Chinese(who don't really GAF what we think anyway) we should be figuring out to engineer the best possible deal for  Canada.

A sovereign nation protects it's self and does not rely on another sovereign nation for protection.

Rifleman62 said:
A sovereign nation protects it's self and does not rely on another sovereign nation for protection.
And "protecting" ourselves economically is how we can pay for protecting ourselves militarily. The economy is the engine of everything.

It's the economy stupid. Realize that. Look at the economy of occupied Europe in the Second World War. Who did that benefit? No free country; no free economy.

From Trading Economics. Com  Canada's trade deficit increased to CAD 2.5 billion in November of 2017, widening from CAD 1.6 billion in the previous month and above market expectations of a CAD 1.2 billion deficit. Imports went up 5.8 percent month-over-month and exports rose 3.7 percent, both due largely to increased activity in the automotive industry. Balance of Trade in Canada averaged 1387.84 CAD Million from 1971 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 8524.80 CAD Million in January of 2001 and a record low of -4127.40 CAD Million in September of 2016. 

What is the good of having a free trade agreement when it is all one way?  If we keep losing manufacturing jobs the only thing that we will have left to trade is intellectual property and that will only last until off-shore enterprises finish their catch-up.  Notice I said finish, they have already started.

Rifleman62 said:
It,s the economy stupid. Realize that. Look at the economy of occupied Europe in the Second World War. Who did that benefit. No free country; no free economy.

funny how few trully sovereign nations there are in the world  ;D

Canoe News service has just reported that Bombardier has won before the US Commerce tribunal by a unanimous decision against Boeing and that it has cancelled completely the approx. 300% tariff that was imposed by the lower authority.

Does this mean we'll see those pesky Super-Hornets soon ?  ;D

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Canoe News service has just reported that Bombardier has won before the US Commerce tribunal by a unanimous decision against Boeing and that it has cancelled completely the approx. 300% tariff that was imposed by the lower authority.

From the Canadian Press:

Bombardier wins resounding victory against Boeing over C Series jet

By Ross Marowits — Jan 26 2018

MONTREAL — Bombardier Inc. won a resounding victory Friday when the U.S. International Trade Commission eliminated nearly 300 per cent in duties on its C Series commercial jet by unanimously voting against a petition filed by Boeing Co.

Commissioners voted 4-0 that Boeing didn't suffer harm from prospective imports of C Series planes.

"Today's decision is a victory for innovation, competition, and the rule of law," the Montreal-based manufacturer said in a news release moments after the vote was announced.

The decision was a surprise for some observers who expected the commission would side with Boeing even though they believed the company sustained no harm. Even one government official said it wouldn't be surprised by a loss.

The decision caused Bombardier's stock to shoot up to its highest level in three years. Shares gained nearly 15 per cent to $3.52 after the ruling.

Bombardier also called it a victory for U.S. airlines and the American travelling public.

"With this matter behind us, we are moving full speed ahead with finalizing our partnership with Airbus," it added.

Chicago-based Boeing said it is disappointed by the decision but will review the commission's detailed opinions when they are released in the coming days.

"We are disappointed that the International Trade Commission did not recognize the harm that Boeing has suffered from the billions of dollars in illegal government subsidies that the Department of Commerce found Bombardier received and used to dump aircraft in the U.S. small single-aisle airplane market," it said in a statement.

"Those violations have harmed the U.S. aerospace industry, and we are feeling the effects of those unfair business practices in the market every day."

Boeing said it will continue to document any harm to Boeing from illegal subsidies and dumping pricing.

"We will not stand by as Bombardier's illegal business practices continue to harm American workers and the aerospace industry they support. Global trade only works if everyone adheres to the rules we have all agreed to. That's a belief we will continue to defend."

Boeing launched the trade case last April, arguing that governments in Canada and Britain subsidized the plane's development and allowed Bombardier to sell it at unfairly low prices.

Follow @RossMarowits on Twitter.

Companies in this story: (TSX:BBD.B)

Ross Marowits, The Canadian Press

Article Link

Retired AF Guy:

"Lengthy posts and fully quoted articles are posted here."
https://milnet.ca/forums/threads/127284.0.html

Oldgateboatdriver said:

This is great news, if very surprising. I assume Trump will soon be tweeting threats against the US International Trade Commission over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back