• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2008 Air Shows and Demos Thread

B

Bandit1

Was out at Downsview Park here in Toronto and thought I'd share some pics and a vid of a Hornet touch and go along with some Aurora shots for everyone from today - enjoy!  Only 3 more weeks and I'm off to Quebec City, CFB Borden the week after and then Ottawa the week after that.  Would love to meet some of ya if you'll be around.  Cheers!

CF-18 Arrival @ Wings and Wheels Toronto - Touch and Go Video

Bandit

Its not an Aurora. Look closely and you will see that it is a CP-140A Arcturus.

Bandit1 said:
Length of the annomally detector?

Look at the wingtips......the Arcturus doesn't have ESM antennas. Also note the photo window right behind the pilot (small and round) in the middle of the escape hatch. The Arcturus lacks the black antennas with red stripes that are for the SRS system.

Tail number 140120 also gives it away. (last 3 numbers are located on the nose wheel door)

Thanks for the lesson - I'm going on a limb here and saying that the ESM antennas are for ASW?

This board is amazing - you learn so much.

Bandit1 said:
Thanks for the lesson - I'm going on a limb here and saying that the ESM antennas are for ASW?

This board is amazing - you learn so much.

The Electronic Support Measures (ESM) system is primarily for ASW yes but it can ( and is) used for ASuW as well. It can be used for any role really, as long as its picking up an emmiter, it doesnt matter if it comes from a surface ship, submarine, aircraft or ground station.

Now I understand.

Thanks CDN Aviator - much obliged. 

Bandit

Bandit, if you are looking for some company when you are in Ottawa, drop me a PM. I always take a couple of days off before and after the show to hang out at YOW. I can show you the best spots to take some pictures. Although, most prefer my front porch: nothing like enjoying a cold one while watching the traffic. (I live about five clicks from the thresholds of 07 and 32.)

No plans for CIAS in September?

I'll actually be covering the Ottawa show for a magazine, so I'll be up there the whole weekend from Arrival Day on Thursday until departure on Monday!  :) Membership does have its priviledges, I must admit...lol  I'll shoot you a pm closer to the show date and we'll see if we can have that cold one - would have needed it today with the sun on the tarmac, I tell ya!

CIAS ->  I'll be there, just forgot to include it.  I'll be at a few other shows in August as well (Brantford, ON and Rochester, NY) and then, if I have some fundage left, I'll be heading down to NAS Oceana for their show.

The one I'm really looking forward to though is the Quebec City 400th show - have the opportunity to do a 3 page spread on the Arrows and have the cover photo shot for a magazine called World Air Show News.  Opportunities like this don't happen everyday, so I'm hoping to make the best of it and all the rest of the shows this year.

Cheers, Bandit

Lucky you - sounds like fun. Definitely drop me a line. The wife is sick of "plane talk" as are all of my buddies. I can't wait to bake in the sun with my scanner and wait for the good stuff to arrive.

Anyway, talk to you soon.

I will be there moody for the Quebec airshow if servicebility is not an issue  ;)

Unique flight over Quebec city

Video of dissimilar aircraft fly past.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh26jII0iJ8

The Snowbirds just buzzed the office. Hopefully the weather holds out for the show this weekend! Bandit when are you going to be in town?

Greetings from the guy formerly known as Bandit.  I've changed my name to reflect the new website which will be launched in January which will have several new features and tidbits for everyone to enjoy.

Thought I'd share a few photos from the Brantford and Toronto Air Shows that I took, feel free to comment.

And now Toronto...special thanks to the CFB Comox Aurora crew who made the flight over to show us their sub hunting skills.

Back