• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

This sort of thing really doesn’t help the CPC when it comes to pushing back on claims that they don’t support Ukraine…

All the Libs have to do is drop the carbon tax stuff.

That might be one way.

Note that the Ukrainian Canadian Congress sent a message to the CPC to reconsider their position though and not to the government to change theirs.

I’m sure they did…. 🤔

IMG_3073.jpeg

Very similar to when they met with Harper as well.

I forgot…it’s still Harper’s fault for another 22 months.

Even if he wasn’t influential enough to have the Ukrainian PM standing beside him like the current DPM. 😉

That is tradition... But perhaps its now fear PP and the MAGA deplorables.
Only the ones that play political games with real world ramifications. Irrational fear of non binding wording is as bad as irrational obsession with environmental policies that don’t really work.

No blame on Harper was laid.

I just have misunderstood your injection of Harper to the topic.

I believe that my prior post showing a tripartite meeting between Canadian Deputy PM, Ukrainian PM and several delegates from the UCC just months ago more relevance to earlier comments by you that the UCC was appealing directly to the Opposition Leader, and not being at all related to the Government of the day.

I remain skeptical that the UCC’s engagement of Poilievre is 100% non-partisan.

Question to you if you wish to respond, if as you question regarding ‘non-binding’ wording in Bill C-57, why are the Liberals willing to “die on the hill” to keep such non-binding wording in? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just have misunderstood your injection of Harper to the topic.

Sure. It was to highlight that the UCC has met with both sides to lobby for their and Ukraine’s interests. Your post made it seem that that sort of thing was or is partisan.
I believe that my prior post showing a tripartite meeting between Canadian Deputy PM, Ukrainian PM and several delegates from the UCC just months ago more relevance to earlier comments by you that the UCC was appealing directly to the Opposition Leader, and not being at all related to the Government of the day.
My suggestion is Ukraine is fine with the wording, the rare statement from the Ukrainian Ambassador following the initial vote also supports that suggestion. Ukraine is fine with the agreement, the government is fine with the agreement. The opposition is opposing it and stalling it.
I remain skeptical that the UCC’s engagement of Poilievre is 100% non-partisan.
Sure. I wouldn’t be surprised though if Ukrainian diplomats are using the UCC to relay their concerns.
Question to you if you wish to respond, if as you question regarding ‘non-binding’ wording in Bill C-57, why are the Liberals willing to “die on the hill” to keep such non-binding wording in? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Happy to discuss.

If anyone has been paying attention, that particular topic is a cornerstone of their overall party position. It’s also a position Ukraine is in favour of and matches the requirements to join the EU. I suspect they are betting and hoping for the CPC to double down and keep this up as it gives them quite an opening to attack them on.

I can’t guess but my thoughts are that the LPC sees this as win win. They stay on brand, and they start to define the CPC position on Ukraine.

Shooting in Winnipeg? What did I miss ?

Apprently a CAF (probably PRes) member- infantry in Winnipeg; Jamie Felix. Doesn’t give a regiment, but someone mentioned Bold Eagle, and if in Winnipeg maybe RWR?

LinkedIn: https://ca.linkedin.com/in/jamie-felix-199038177

CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/jamie-felix-background-west-broadway-shooting-1.7046788

I found his Facebook as well and it looks like he’s relapsed on alcohol and crack a few times in the past couple years. Really sad

I think the LPC is happy for people to believe that Canada and Ukraine are of like mind regarding a carbon tax. That’s why the Liberals are keen to keep the wording in the agreement, even though they know it is a false equivalency, given that Canada’s carbon tax is currently ~130 times more expensive that Ukraine’s and in 2030, should Ukraine increase its carbon tax in line with EU policy, Canada’s carbon tax will be at least triple that of Ukraine’s.

Ukraine carbon tax (2020) - 0.33€ or $0.48CAD/tonne
Ukraine carbon tax (EU EFT 2030) - 39€ or $57CAD/tonne

Canadian carbon tax (2023) - $65CAD/tonne
Canadian carbon tax (2030) - $170CAD/tonne

I do think Poilievre is likely making more of this than exists because the draft new wording doesn’t force one nation to follow the other’s carbon taxation scheme, particularly as noted in Clause 13.4(4) of the CUFTA draft.

Existing (2017) CUFTA - environmental section wording ( Text of the 2017 Canada–Ukraine Free Trade Agreement – Chapter 12: Environment– Environment )

Draft (2023) CUFTA - environmental section wording ( Chapter 13: Environment – Text of the 2023 Canada - Ukraine Free Trade Agreement )

That said, C-57 will no doubt bad and continue on to the Senate for endorsement.

Accordingly, it’s a bit (a lot) bombastic for the Liberals to imply/accuse the Conservatives of leaving Ukrainians to die at the hands of the Russians…

Min. Ahmed Hussen
Mr. Speaker, it is bad enough that that party is the only party in the House that does not believe in climate change. It does not believe in fighting the good fight against climate change, but on top of that, when Ukrainians are dying, literally, on behalf of freedom-loving people of the world, fighting fascism, totalitarianism and an illegal invasion, at this critical moment, what have Conservatives chosen to do? They have chosen to abandon Ukrainians in their hour of need. Canadians will remember this moment, and we will never forget that shameful party.

It remains political Kabuki…the CUFTA revision will pass.

My takeaway from all of this most recent exchange? Wondering why Canada will be carbon taxing Canadians in 2030 at a rate three time higher than Europe? 🤔

I think the LPC is happy for people to believe that Canada and Ukraine are of like mind regarding a carbon tax. That’s why the Liberals are keen to keep the wording in the agreement, even though they know it is a false equivalency, given that Canada’s carbon tax is currently ~130 times more expensive that Ukraine’s and in 2030, should Ukraine increase its carbon tax in line with EU policy, Canada’s carbon tax will be at least triple that of Ukraine’s.

Ukraine carbon tax (2020) - 0.33€ or $0.48CAD/tonne
Ukraine carbon tax (EU EFT 2030) - 39€ or $57CAD/tonne

Canadian carbon tax (2023) - $65CAD/tonne
Canadian carbon tax (2030) - $170CAD/tonne

I do think Poilievre is likely making more of this than exists because the draft new wording doesn’t force one nation to follow the other’s carbon taxation scheme, particularly as noted in Clause 13.4(4) of the CUFTA draft.

Existing (2017) CUFTA - environmental section wording ( Text of the 2017 Canada–Ukraine Free Trade Agreement – Chapter 12: Environment– Environment )

Draft (2023) CUFTA - environmental section wording ( Chapter 13: Environment – Text of the 2023 Canada - Ukraine Free Trade Agreement )

That said, C-57 will no doubt bad and continue on to the Senate for endorsement.

Accordingly, it’s a bit (a lot) bombastic for the Liberals to imply/accuse the Conservatives of leaving Ukrainians to die at the hands of the Russians…

Min. Ahmed Hussen

It remains political Kabuki…the CUFTA revision will pass.

My takeaway from all of this most recent exchange? Wondering why Canada will be carbon taxing Canadians in 2030 at a rate three time higher than Europe? 🤔

To my knowledge I am unaware of Ukraine rejecting any treaty or similar agreements of late on any grounds.

In case you were not aware. Under reported by the bought and paid for big media.

LILLEY: Trudeau votes against more guns for Ukraine; is he pro-Putin? - 30 Nov 23

If held to his own ridiculous standard, the answer would be yes, Trudeau is pro-Putin.

For the last week the Trudeau Liberals have been trying to claim that Pierre Poilievre and the Conservatives don’t support Ukraine in its fight against Russia. Yet on Wednesday, Justin Trudeau and his Liberal Party voted against a motion by the Conservatives to send more weapons and munitions to Ukraine.

What’s going on here?

It’s nothing but pure politics from both sides but in truth, the Liberals are being more craven on this matter. They have tried to claim that the Poilievre Conservatives are following that strain of American Republicans who oppose the Biden administration’s aid to Ukraine, and they’ve tried to link Poilievre to Donald Trump.

Neither of those things would be popular with Canadian voters if true, but neither claim is true.

The basis for the claim by Trudeau that the Conservatives don’t support Ukraine is that they voted against an update to the Canada-Ukraine Free Trade Agreement. It’s worth noting that this agreement was negotiated and signed by the Harper government in which Poilievre served as a cabinet minister.

The update though, contains language, specifically Sections 13.4 and 13.6 of the agreement, that the Conservatives believe could tie the hands of a future Conservative government to axe the carbon tax. This isn’t, as the lazy Ottawa press gallery has been repeating, not reporting, about forcing a carbon tax on Ukraine when in fact they’ve had one for years.

It’s easier for the Ottawa gallery to repeat Liberal talking points and smear Poilievre and the Conservatives than to do some reading though.

So, the Conservatives voted against the updated free trade deal saying they support free trade with Ukraine but object to some of the new language. That move has seen Justin Trudeau spend the last week attack the Conservatives as abandoning Ukraine, including in their fight against Putin’s Russia.

To say that is a stretch would be an understatement.

On Wednesday, as the Commons was asked to vote on and accept a report from the Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Development, the Conservatives tried to amend the report to call for more weapons and munitions exports to Ukraine and the Liberals voted against it. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau voted against sending more military aid to Ukraine, even private aid by supporting private sector exports of bullets and artillery shells.

Does this mean that Justin Trudeau and the Liberals have abandoned Ukraine? Does this mean that Justin Trudeau and the Liberals are endorsing a MAGA Republican/Donald Trump view of the war?

If we were to use the standard that Justin Trudeau has set on this file the answer would be an obvious yes. He voted against Ukraine, everyone should be told, Ukrainian Canadians should especially be warned that voting for him in the future in dangerous.

That’s the line he’s used against Poilievre and the Conservatives over a dispute in language for a free trade update that passed anyway. The call for more weapons to be sent to Ukraine was voted down by every Liberal, Bloc and NDP MP, including those with large Ukrainian communities like Yvan Baker in Etobicoke.

If we used Trudeau’s standard, every single one of these MPs, including Trudeau himself, would be considered to have taken the side of Russia.

That’s a ridiculous assertion but so too is Trudeau’s claim that the Conservative Party has abandoned Ukraine and sided with Russia. This is simply Trudeau trying to play ethnic politics to try and increase his support amid plummeting poll numbers.

That he would stoop this low shows how truly desperate the Trudeau Liberals have become.

In case you were not aware. Under reported by the bought and paid for big media.
Just a reminder that this outlet's parent company's getting a fair bit of government money, and wouldn't be considered small ;)
Which is why any media has to be taken with a grain of salt - even those not getting a thin red cent from Big Government.

LILLEY: Trudeau votes against more guns for Ukraine; is he pro-Putin? - 30 Nov 23 ...

As with most issues, #PartisansGonnaPartisan ...

If Team Red can be said to be opposing guns for Ukraine by voting against a specific committee recommendation, no matter what Team Red says it's actually voting FOR, then Team Blue can be said to be voting against Ukraine in both the trade deal and OP Unifier votes in the House, no matter what Team Blue says it's actually voting FOR.

In both cases, heaven forbid, both what's being opposed and what's being supported can be true at the same time.

And as for ethnic groups posing with PM's, that just proves they'll ask any government for what they need, no matter what colour jersey. If they're partisan toward one party, they're just as partisan with whatever party's in the wheelhouse.
#NatureOfTheAdvocacyBeast

Back