• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2023 UCP Alberta election

Singh doesn't run the whole thing. The Alberta NDP have their own constitution and hold their own conventions. They decide their own policies and Notley has been at adds with Singh on numerous occasions. Most significantly, she opposes many of the NDP (and LPC) energy/O&G policies/philosophies:

Notley is more of a Horgan NDPer, than a Singh NDPer.

Notley is personally popular, but her party is a bit of a train wreck. Last time around, they weren’t expected to win, but “no hope“ candidates did win and she was forced to make some of them cabinet ministers…with predictable results.

I always figured that Notley is in the wrong party. Were she UCP, she would probably rule Alberta until she died.

Notley is personally popular, but her party is a bit of a train wreck. Last time around, they weren’t expected to win, but “no hope“ candidates did win and she was forced to make some of them cabinet ministers…with predictable results.

I always figured that Notley is in the wrong party. Were she UCP, she would probably rule Alberta until she died.
Plenty of similar examples. She doesn’t really lead as an NDP er. Ford governs like a liberal. The liberals in BC aren’t really liberals. Houston is really the only one that I can say is what you see is what you get.

I guess you have to ask yourself whether the Notley/Singh/Trudeau policies are good for the country or not. If you think the CCP influenced progressive left policies benefit Canada, then go for it, you won't be alone!

I'll add as an example that Smith has made significant investment in Alberta's health system. This is possible because of high government revenues due to.... take a guess... O&G! But the Notley/Singh/Trudeau alliance want to see that wrecked and would rather raise taxes to accomplish their aims.
Notley is well known for only answering pre-screened questions from specific media organizations at her events.

She raised taxes 97 times while she was Premier.

She also took a very similar stance to our O&G industry as Trudeau, and proactively bombed it as hard as she could.

I wouldn't trust the polls to be honestly reflective of actual public opinion...over & over again, I have come to realize the very tangible moods of society are quite different than what the polls suggest...Notley cost us over 180,000 jobs & is a career politician.

Plus she's a career politician with an affection for Trudeau...here in Alberta that puts you in the bottom rung of society.

(That being said, who knows...maybe she'll end up getting back in because its the 2020's, and nothing needs to make sense in order to happen) 🤷‍♂️

100% This ^

Singh doesn't run the whole thing. The Alberta NDP have their own constitution and hold their own conventions. They decide their own policies and Notley has been at adds with Singh on numerous occasions. Most significantly, she opposes many of the NDP (and LPC) energy/O&G policies/philosophies:

The Alberta NDP is the provincial affiliate of the federal NDP.

Don't forget, unlike other party's, the NDP Is all one big organization. There is little separation between provincial and federal. Singh runs the whole thing.

In effect, notley works for singh who works for trudeau. Elect notley in Alberta and you end up with the Meet and Potato Travelling Clown Show running the province.
That's not as true as it used to be. NDP provincially in BC have been distancing themselves from the federal party (and talking about it openly), mainly to try and establish a more centre-left brand here where they are the default alternative to the centre-right. Federal NDP are determined to go on playing handmaiden to the Liberals.

The centre-right in BC, regardless of names, has been a "Liberal"-"Conservative" coalition since Bennett brought them together as Socreds. It has remained so even while a rump of conservatives split off (with a conservative brand) after the Socreds dissolved and the BC Liberal party absorbed much of the remainder.

The NDP has changed much since it began with its CCF roots and could probably stand another name change to reflect its move away from "party of workers" to "party of well-off, well-meaning people".

The centre-right in BC, regardless of names, has been a "Liberal"-"Conservative" coalition since Bennett brought them together as Socreds. It has remained so even while a rump of conservatives split off (with a conservative brand) after the Socreds dissolved and the BC Liberal party absorbed much of the remainder.

The NDP has changed much since it began with its CCF roots and could probably stand another name change to reflect its move away from "party of workers" to "party of well-off, well-meaning people".
You mean the party of guilt ridden liberals with degrees.

I'll add as an example that Smith has made significant investment in Alberta's health system. This is possible because of high government revenues due to.... take a guess... O&G! But the Notley/Singh/Trudeau alliance want to see that wrecked and would rather raise taxes to accomplish their aims.
Pfft, significant investment in a public health system enabled by taxation of hard earned corporate profits? Sounds pretty leftist commie.

I guess you have to ask yourself whether the Notley/Singh/Trudeau policies are good for the country or not. If you think the CCP influenced progressive left policies benefit Canada, then go for it, you won't be alone!

To be fair (and I’m not disagreeing with you)

Smith has invested considerably more common sense into Alberta Health Services, which has been the biggest & most noticeable change for both patients & practitioners alike.

She also fired/dismissed one of the key policy-making boards as one of her first acts as Premier, which reinforced the injection of common sense & helped make sure the changes made wouldn’t be reverted later.

I can’t say whether AHS has all of the resources it needs in all of the areas it needs them. I suspect not, nor will any health system, anywhere.

But AHS does have considerable resources, some of which are still squandered in epic proportions.

While AHS could benefit from specific investments in specific areas, the biggest & again most noticeable change that everybody would end up noticing is if AHS just used it’s current resources significantly better than it does.

I haven't really been following. Is there an obvious reason?
It could be a bump in her ability to lead the province through the wildfires? I suspect that is helping somewhat. And despite Notley’s criticism of Smith and the media she hasn’t been that available either. At least from what I can see from a distance.

I haven't really been following. Is there an obvious reason?
Voting Day is coming up, and people are starting to answer the polls & be more active in their responses…is my guess

Think of how much we all dislike Trudeau. Now imagine someone else gets elected who - while some folks will always complain - is the opposite of Trudeau in a bunch of good ways…then come the next election, Trudeau runs again.

That’s how some people feel about Notley (who is a big Trudeau supporter)

On the one hand we have a politician who seems to be looking out for the people, and then we have one who seems to be actively working against the interest of the people at every possible turn

The polls have been wild this election out there.

Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Back