• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

24 Nov 05: Pte Woodfield Killed, 4 Injured in Afghanistan

The memorial service here in Gagetown was very touching. I am surprised to see the family so strong. I am glad to see them embrace the Regt the way they do. Braun's mom said something to the effect of "you will always be Braun's 'boys'...and you are my 'boys' now."

There is a tremendous amount of pride in Pte. Woodfield from his family and Regiment. I am very proud to be an Army wife today!

Pro Patria...Ubique!

tomahawk6 said:
Catching up on my reading tonight and saw this article about Pvt Woodfield. Comments from readers raised the ire of Woodfields uncle. People should be sensitive to the feelings of the family in their time of mourning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20051127.wafghan1127/BNStory/National/

What did Mr. Stubbs say?  I don't want to register for the Globe to read the whole thread.

A sergeant wrote in to the Calgary Sun; her letter published today basically complained that Pte Woodfield's story has been 'buried' on page 30 or so of the paper while the Grey Cup and military involvement there was on page 2 or 3.  I don't understand her concern;  I would expect a tragedy of this nature to resonate more strongly within the military community than in the civil community.  I think the sergeant did the Forces as a whole a disservice by voicing these kinds of concerns.  Demanding attention in that manner was unseemly.

I am glad to read that Pte Woodfield was properly and appropriately remembered both overseas and at home.

Found this while reading the national news portal at work today.
Interesting comment for a Canadian Mother.

PUBLICATION: The Windsor Star
DATE: 2005.12.06
EDITION: Final
SECTION: Editorial/Opinion
PAGE: A7
COLUMN: Letter of The Day
BYLINE: Marianne Sabitz
SOURCE: Windsor Star

Officials insult a fallen soldier

As a proud Canadian, I am ashamed. As a military mother, I am appalled.
On the day a fallen Canadian soldier was being brought home from Afghanistan to his final resting place in Canada, our prime minister and our governor general found it more important to be at the Grey Cup game in Vancouver.
This must have been a great source of comfort to Pte. Braun Woodfield's
Family, their son, my son, and all other sons and daughters of Canada join the military because they believe in Canada, and they want to serve their country, and they do so with great pride. They sign up knowing that they could die for their country, but this does not deter them.
Canada has lost a fine soldier. The Woodfields have lost a beloved son.
In my opinion, the passing of Pte. Woodfield is our nation's loss, and I believe it was the ultimate insult that neither Prime minister Paul Martin nor governor general Michaelle Jean the commander and chief of the Canadian Forces found it significant enough to be present at CFB Trenton when the plane carrying Pte. Woodfield home landed.
My sympathies go out to the Woodfield family, and as always, my prayers are with our troops.

MARIANNE SABITZ

I read that this morning
While I appreceate her opinion.... if she was a US Citzen living in the US, would she suggest that Dubya should be on hand at Andrews AFB every day to meet the continuous flow of coffins headed for Arlington National Cemetary?
(mind you that's not a bad idea..... DOH!... forgot about Dick Chaney being out there - going from bad to worse)

I hear what your saying, but with all do respect - its not the same.

The US has bodies coming in every single day, due to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Canadian military has a body come in MAYBE once every 6 months to a year, respectively.

Considering the huge amount of politicians infesting Ottawa, SOMEONE could have been present when one of our fallen soldiers was being brought back home. 

(Was Mr. Graham even there?)

yes he was, as was discussed in this thread.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36838.0.html

Driver of armoured vehicle in fatal accident will not be charged
The Canadian Press
Published: The Edmonton Journal
Friday, December 02, 2005

OTTAWA - No charges will be laid against the driver of an armoured vehicle that rolled over and killed a soldier near Kandahar on Nov. 24, the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service said Thursday.

The LAV-3 was passing a horse-drawn cart on a highway at about 65 kilometers an hour when an oncoming local vehicle turned on its headlights.

The driver of the 21-tonne armoured vehicle swerved to avoid the car before the LAV rolled over. The LAV was travelling within speed limits set by both local and Canadian military authorities, military investigators said.

Pte. Braun Scott Woodfield, 24, of Eastern Passage, N.S., died in the crash. Four others aboard the LAV were injured.

Woodfield was rear sentry on the vehicle. The driver has not been identified.

Back