• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

27 Aug 12: LGEN Thomas Lawson named C.D.S.

DirtyDog said:
I suppose operational experience isn't a factor for selection at that level?

Posted to Cold Lake in 1991, LGen Lawson completed CF-18 Hornet training and then returned to CFB Baden to fly operationally with 421 and 439 Squadrons. Upon closure of Baden, he was posted to Cold Lake and was assigned to 410 Squadron in charge of the Fighter Weapons Instructor School.

As well, being Deputy Commander of NORAD not enough?

Glad to see that my prediction of the next CDS coming from the Air Force ranks was correct. :moose:

I guess "operations" was the wrong word.  Operational deployments?

I don't know the world of the RCAF, but it might seem unusual to me to serve under a commander with no overseas deployments/comds in a dynamic shooting/peacekeeping operation.  (ie. Somlia, the Gulf, Bosnia, Iraq, Crotia, Afghanistan, etc.)

However, I'm too biased.  It's not like I'd be happy with anyone outside the Army anyway.

DirtyDog said:
However, I'm too biased.  It's not like I'd be happy with anyone outside the Army anyway.

On the other hand, there are probably a whole lot inside the Army you'd be unhappy about as well.

dapaterson said:
On the other hand, there are probably a whole lot inside the Army you'd be unhappy about as well.
Ha, true enough.  I'm a hard man to please.

One of the CDS' main roles is to act as the interface between the government and the CF.  He then has subordinate commanders to translate the direction he receives from government to lower levels.

There is significant bench strength in the Army; regardless of whether or not the CDS wears a green uniform, I don't think there will be major problems with leadership in the Canadian Army.

Gen Lawson is an extremely intelligent, dynamic and articulate man, and a great choice for the top job in the CF.  Congratulations to him.

Andddddddd.... the guy wears CADPAT Leafs jerseys to mess dinners... talk about balls!

BobSlob said:
Andddddddd.... the guy wears CADPAT Leafs jerseys to mess dinners... talk about balls!

Does he get danger pay and risk allowance 5 for that?  I'd ask for it!  :blotto:

Gents,

I've binned the frivolus arguments - take those opinions to the PMs if you care about them that much.

The Staff.

A slow day in the news world. I guess the age of the new CDS is something the PA machine didn't pick up on for the press release.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/08/29/pol-cudmore-cds-tom-lawson-bio.html

Trunk Monkey said:
A slow day in the news world. I guess the age of the new CDS is something the PA machine didn't pick up on for the press release.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/08/29/pol-cudmore-cds-tom-lawson-bio.html

The comments are fantastic, probably the only time there is actually intellectual thought in CBC.ca's comments section.

Could it be he is over the 60 age limit and that is why they do not wish to release his age as then they would have to explain why he was allowed to be retained longer than normally allowed?

Just my  :2c:

No, it's just a (very) slow news day, especially when a reporter thinks that there is something nefarious about not being officially told a fighter pilot's unofficial 'call sign' (which, BTW, is neither embarrassing, nor inappropriate).

Those who have done the RMC graduation math are correct.  Gen Lawson has half a decade to serve before any allowances or exceptions would be required to retain him in the service.

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:
No, it's just a (very) slow news day, especially when a reporter thinks that there is something nefarious about not being officially told a fighter pilot's unofficial 'call sign' (which, BTW, is neither embarrassing, nor inappropriate).
The Toronto Star seems to have found the info somewhere....
Canada’s new defence chief Lt.-Gen. Thomas Lawson, whose fighter pilot call sign was once Shadow, has a lot of the qualities that Prime Minister Stephen Harper prizes in a commander ....
I guess it's true - ONLY the Shadow knows....

milnews.ca said:
The Toronto Star seems to have found the info somewhere.... I guess it's true - ONLY the Shadow knows....

You're dating yourself when you quote a radio show back from the days before TV was popular...  ;)

Good2Golf said:
You're dating yourself when you quote a radio show back from the days before TV was popular...  ;)
As a former radio reporter, I blame my environmental training for my choice of puns  ;D

milnews.ca said:
As a former radio reporter, I blame my environmental training for my choice of puns  ;D

Ah - think I found a photo of you in your former life...

richard_sanders1.jpg

...gobble, gobble, gobble...

Good2Golf said:

And you're dating yourself by bringing it to our attention  ;D

On a slight tangent, go gives a flying rat's arse about what the guy's callsign is/was?

MM

Back