• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3.5km in 22 mins

Newguy1

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got an offer and start BMQ shortly, I was hoping to have more time to improve my running. I can do 3.5k in 22 mins and then im pretty much pooched, how do u think ill fair in BMQ? end of the pack?

Newguy1 said:
I just got an offer and start BMQ shortly, I was hoping to have more time to improve my running. I can do 3.5k in 22 mins and then im pretty much pooched, how do u think ill fair in BMQ? end of the pack?

I won't BS you, you're in trouble. You really need to be working on both speed and distance. The process to join is long enough that this isn't a surprise for you. Your cardio should be much farther along by now. Get running at least four days a week- t least one day where you max out distance, and at least one day where you make yourself puke doing intervals. BMQ will not be forgiving if you show up out of shape.

I used to be a couch potato, Ive used this free program to go from nothing to a 5k in under 25. (Its literally a chart with 9 weeks of walking to running). I've also sent it to siblings/friends and all of them have gotten up to 5k.

Here is the link
http://www.squidoo.com/C25K-Running    [link no longer works. Bruce]

I'd try mid week 4 based on what you are saying. Just use the stop watch feature on your phone/iPod.

Like the others have said you will be screwed if you can't do 5k in 25.

Goodluck

Thanks for the response. So even if I pass the FORCE test or EXPRESS test depending on what they use, can i still choose to goto RFT if I cant do 5k in 25 or 30 minutes?

Although I havn't done BMQ myself I don't think you have to much to worry about from what i've read about people's experiences if they are close to accurate. BMQ isn't going to put you into 5km runs on day one. They do baby steps in, i believe its in 3 different phases. That being said, don't slack from this point to day 1.

I'm not sure RFT is applicable if you're successful at the EXPRES or FORCE. I could be wrong.

Week 1 day 04, 5km run at 5am... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_roqtn4Ok . Not sure about the pace though. I'm not in the CF either but based on the research I've done it's not the 5km run that will kill you. It's the 25 pushups immediately after. Then the 2 hour power point presentation. Then the afternoon run... then the evening run... with pushups every step of the way. Not to mention the shock to your system of early mornings, constant activity, change in diet, classrooms settings (for those of us that haven't been in a classroom for a while). Do all that for a few weeks straight while getting screamed at by the instructors (who are just doing their job) with no cell phone or internet while being away from the wife and kid... that is the tough part of BMQ. You should start working out and running multiple times a day. Do 25 push ups at random throughout the day. I highly doubt the CF is interested in people who just do the bare minimum... but again I'm not in the CF yet so take that for with a grain of salt. Good luck and congrats on the offer!

You really do need to get at least that distance up. 3.5 km is really short. At that pace, you will fall out early on. The pace they start is about 5km per 30 mins.

ForeverLearning said:
Although I havn't done BMQ myself I don't think you have to much to worry about from what i've read about people's experiences if they are close to accurate. BMQ isn't going to put you into 5km runs on day one. They do baby steps in, i believe its in 3 different phases. That being said, don't slack from this point to day 1.

You aren't even in the military. You have no place whatsoever giving people advice on what they should and should not be concerned about for BMQ. You have no place giving advice on what should be expected of someone who aspires to be a soldier. Until you're in and have some time in to base your experiences on, get out of the habit of thinking you have anything to offer on military subjects. We have experienced soldiers here for that.

Ok thanks for the input.

I will be screwed if I cant do 5k in 25 mins? By screwed you mean what? released?

Why does the FORCE test only require level 6 shuttle run then?

Newguy1 said:
Ok thanks for the input.

I will be screwed if I cant do 5k in 25 mins? By screwed you mean what? released?

Not released, but you will be 'that guy' who quite obviously did not arrive in shape and can't keep up on runs. You will face more skepticism from course mates and closer scrutiny from your staff. The biggest factor, I'd argue, going into the first impression anyone makes showing up to start with the training is fitness, because that's something that is fully within our ability to affect prior to joining. You will have to push yourself harder and you will be more prone to injury as a result of showing up insufficiently fit for the demands you will face. You have no real choice but to work your ass off between now and when you leave.

This isn't personal- I don't know you, likely never will, and don't really care. Take this all as a blunt, realistic assessment of where you're at and what you're heading into. This does NOT mean you will be unsuccessful in BMQ. It means that your chances of failure are somewhat higher, and that it's definitely going to suck more. The biggest variable will be how badly you really want it and how hard you'll push from here on in to get it. The profession of arms is one where fitness is essential and can be the difference between life and death, mission success and mission failure.

Newguy1 said:
Ok thanks for the input.

Because FORCE is the MINIMUM fitness standard for the CF.  Life as a soldier is ever so slightly more strenuous than that, and a higher level of fitness is therefore required.  PT at basic isn't really all that tough.

Newguy1 said:
Ah ok thanks, im going for AC op, not a soldier :)

Well in that case, load up on the krispee Kremes and don't worry about it.

Okanagan Guy said:
but based on the research I've done it's not the 5km run that will kill you. It's the...

You're pretty close, but those are all things that anybody with the right mindset heading into it can adjust, and this:

Newguy1 said:

is not it.

Brihard said:
The biggest variable will be how badly you really want it

Apparently, not really that much...  :not-again:

Newguy1 said:

Every course I've been on the runs have been longer than they were anticipated. This doesn't really bother me as I enjoy PT, however it was unfortunate as it would screw everyone else over and cut int our ablutions and meal times. How? It because of people like you, even on my DP1 after people had been through two courses, they still would fall out of PT.

So what ends up happening, is we can't  leave anyone behind, so we would run and around the 3/4 mark of the run people would fall out. We'd see that, turn around pick up said individuals and watch them fall out again and again. What was once a 5km run turns into 6km, and that takes away five precious minutes of meeting our timing for breakfast. If we are late, not only are we doing pushups, we now have even less time to eat. At the end of day it doesn't matter but it is frustrating to say the least. All of this could be avoided if people would show up courses physically fit. No one is asking you to be able run a marathon, but is it really to much to ask for you to be able to do 5k in under 25? Look I was just like you, I did nothing for cardio, played hockey in the winter and soccer in the summer that's it. But I played at the lowest level as my cardio was garbage. When I started that couch potato - 5k program in the summer I could barely finish the first day I was so tired after. But I knew that I was joining the reserves and had a swear in date for Sept, so when I showed up to basic I had no problems with the cardio.

Don't worry, when you need help from your course mates they won't forget.

If you fake an injury you won't even have to march with all the soldiers  :nod:

Back