• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

30 May 2007: MCPL Darrell Jason Priede, R.I.P.

MILNEWS.ca - Kajaki Dam Complex
Approximate location of Kajaki Dam Project, on Helmand River
Map Link

NOTE: This data is provided for information purposes only, and cannot be guaranteed for navigation, survey or other precision purposes. You should, where possible, verify the information before acting on it.

Created by: milnewstbay

Created: May 31, 2007 07:48 AM

Canadian Forces member killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM news release NR–07.016, 31 May 07
Article link

OTTAWA – Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede, a military Imagery Technician serving with the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) Regional Command (South) Headquarters at Kandahar Airfield, was killed when the helicopter in which he was a passenger went down at approximately 9 p.m. Kandahar time on 30 May, near the town of Kajaki, Helmand Province, about 95 kms northwest of Kandahar City. Master Corporal Priede was a member of the Army News Team from 3 Area Support Group, based at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown, New Brunswick. His next of kin have been notified.

The other six non-Canadian military personnel aboard the helicopter were also killed in the incident. No further details are available at this time. ISAF is investigating the cause of the incident.

The thoughts and prayers of the men and women of the Canadian Forces go out to the family and friends of the deceased.

–30–

MCpl Priede, your sacrifice will not be forgotten.  :salute: :cdn:
Deepest condolences to his family & comrades.

My condolences to his family, friends and collegues.  :(

From the photographer's prayer...

Help me Oh Lord, to be an artist, collecting the beauty of every soul, the glow of youth, the wisdom of age, the gentleness, the laughter or tears of each life that is precious in thy sight...

Deeper than a means of livelihood, give me the perspective to see my photographer's art as a service to others, making life richer and more memorable....

And he did all that and more, We Will Remember.

RIP

I'm sure that THIS face is familiar to almost everyone who's had a course photo done here in Gagetown.

Deepest sympathy to all those who knew and loved him. Obviously a very talented man, and a great loss.

The CBC has a photo gallery of some of his work:

http://www.cbc.ca/photogallery/canada/501/

Rest in Peace

Darrell will be truly missed by all of us that knew him and his imagery.

While a tragic event not unusual in a combat zone, the death toll could have been alot higher. The Chinook had just dropped off 40 paratroopers before it was hit.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/05/ap_nato_helicopter_070530/

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada on the death of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede
May 31, 2007

“My husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and I were saddened to learn of the death of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede, an imagery technician, in a helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan.

Like his comrades in the Canadian Forces and NATO’s International Security Assistance Force, Master Cpl. Priede worked on the construction of a secure environment for the Afghan population which also seeks justice and freedom after decades of oppression. We salute his courage and his engagement. These women and men deserve our deepest respect.

We join all Canadians in offering our sincerest condolences to Master Cpl. Priede’s family and friends.

Six other soldiers, from the United Kingdom and the United States, perished in this terrible incident. Our thoughts also go out to their loved ones.”

- 30 -

Statement by the Prime Minister on the death of Master Corporal Priede
31 May 2007, Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede:

“It is with sorrow that I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede who died when the helicopter he was in went down yesterday in Helmand Province in Afghanistan.  I also extend my condolences, on behalf of all Canadians, to the family and friends of the six other coalition members who lost their lives.

Master Corporal Priede was working with allies to fulfill our international commitment to bring security, democracy and self-sufficiency to the Afghan people.  This crash occurred near the site of a hydroelectric dam that is being repaired so it can provide electricity to the southern city of Kandahar.

The progress achieved in Afghanistan would not have been possible without men and women like Master Corporal Priede who put themselves on the line everyday.  We will not forget Master Corporal Priede’s selfless contribution on behalf of Canada.”

Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the Death of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede
NR–07.048 - May 31, 2007

OTTAWA – The Honourable Gordon O'Connor, Minister of National Defence, issued the following statement today on the death of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede:

“On behalf of the entire Defence community I extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Master Corporal Darrell Jason Priede who died when a helicopter, in which he was a passenger, went down in Helmand Province in Afghanistan. I also extend my condolences to the families and friends of the six other coalition troops who died in this incident.

Master Corporal Priede was a valued member of the Army News Team from 3 Area Support Group, based at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown. He gave his life not only to protect Canadians and our national interests, but also to provide hope to Afghans for a better future.

Master Corporal Priede was part of an international coalition working to bring peace and security to this troubled country. Canadians are forever proud and grateful for his service and for the contributions of all our men and women in uniform.”

Statement by NDP leader on the Death of Master Cpl. Darrell Jason Priede in Afghanistan
Thu 31 May 2007

As we are all still grieving the recent death of Corporal Matthew J. McCully, the NDP was deeply saddened by news of the loss of another Canadian soldier, Master Cpl. Darrell Jason Priede.

On behalf of all New Democrats, I would like to extend my sincere condolences to the family, friends and the military community at CFB Gagetown as they cope with this tragedy.

:cdnsalute:
...at the going down of the sun...

:salute:

:cdn:

Back