• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

.50 cal rifle with siliencer in action

Michael O'Leary said:
Is that impotant?

I love unintended humor.  

No.  It isn't important.  I was just giving your berries a little tweeking.  I didn't think you were genuinely lamenting the lack of attention to mortar discussion.  I apologize for my insensitivity.

paracowboy said:
dude, Zipper was probably well aware of how suppressors act on velocities of bullets fired from a rifle. That would undoubtedly be why he asked Infidel's opinion.

Yeah, just curious for semi-technical stuff.  How much velocity is dropped and how it affects the trajectory.  Stuff like that. 

What the fock is a "siliencer" ??  ???

Is it what you get in reply when you ask a silly question?

whiskey601 said:
I suppose you hate the navy too.  :mad:
nah, they're great. Every time I want to go overseas and get in a fight, they're always happy to take my stuff for me.

;D

paracowboy said:
nah, they're great. Every time I want to go overseas and get in a fight, they're always happy to take my stuff for me.

;D

So, you only hate them the same way you do Base Transport?

I love Base Transport! Every time I see them, I don't have to hump no more!

zipperhead_cop said:
There is a silencer for an 81 mm mortar???  ;)

http://www.axtmoerder.de/wp-content/images/m109.jpg

I don't know about the mortar, but there is a silencer (suppressor?) for the m109.

ark said:
http://www.axtmoerder.de/wp-content/images/m109.jpg

I don't know about the mortar, but there is a silencer (suppressor?) for the m109.
Now who would transport that around for an Artillery Bn?  Starfleet?

George Wallace said:
Now who would transport that around for an Artillery Bn?  Starfleet?

The Navy, as part of paracowboy's kit convoy.

Modern Suppressors actually provide a modest increase in velocity (25-50 fps freebore push)
So range is not adversely affected.

A velocity meter  ::)  -- would be called a Chronograph -- yes I have one -- they are very common for reloaders...

Callsign L  -- please put yourself on radio (perferably electronic) silence - as basically nothign you have posted is correct.

He should probably check his "silencer", make sure it's screwed on tight.

image.gif

;D

There are four suppressor design methods.

A Dry suppressor uses a series of expansion chambers and permanent metal baffles that reduce gas volume, expansion and forward motion.

The Wipe and Mesh (WM) system is an inexpensive design. It uses a series of expansion chambers filled with a wire mesh, designed to disrupt the motion of gases. Wipes work like baffles and are made of a flexible material such as polyurethane or neoprene through which the bullet passes. These elements degrade as the suppressor is used (-1 every 20 shots) and need to be replaced after about 50 rounds. Because the bullet comes in physical contact with the wipes, this type of suppressor cannot be used in conjunction with expanding ammunition. Reduce range 35% (x0.65).
A Wet Technology (Wet) suppressor is mechanically similar to a dry suppressor, the difference being that it is also designed to house a few CCs of water. Water helps absorb heat energy from the propellant gases, making the suppressor quieter. However, a wet suppressor will cause a visual signature when water is vaporized and pushed through the muzzle. Performance degrades as water is forced from the suppressor (-1 every 30 shots, max -1). Water may be added on the fly, through the suppressor's muzzle.

An Artificial Environment (AE) suppressor includes a chamber near the barrel's muzzle filled with a light lubricating grease. The grease functions in a manner similar to the water in a wet suppressor, absorbing the heat of propellant gases. No visual signature occurs. Performance degrades slightly as the grease evaporates (-1 every 50 shots, max -2). The suppressor must be detached before grease can be added.

22 Rimfire suppressors can be used with most .22 Rimfire cartridges including CB, Short, Long, Long Rifle, High Velocity and WMR. Most are optimized for use with the popular .22 Long Rifle cartridge. Reduce Effect values -1 when used with High Velocity and WMR cartridges.

9mm suppressors are optimized for use with subsonic 9mm Parabellum loads, but can be used with any 9mm, .357 or .38 cartridge. With higher powered cartridges, suppressor performance will be limited.

.40" suppressors are optimized for use with subsonic .40 S&W loads, but can be used with any .40, .41 or 10mm cartridge. With higher powered cartridges, suppressor performance will be limited.

.45" suppressors are optimized for use with standard .45 ACP loads, but can be used with any .45 cartridge. With higher powered cartridges,suppressor performance will be limited

5.56mm suppressors are optimized for use with standard, supersonic 5.56mm NATO (.223 Remington) loads, but can also be used with 5.45mm Soviet cartridges.

7.62mm suppressors come in two categories. Some are optimized for use with standard, supersonic 7.62mm NATO (.308 Winchester) loads, but can also be used with .300 Winchester Magnum loads. Smaller low-volume (LV) 7.62mm suppressors are designed for use with .300 Whisper or 7.62x39mm Soviet ammunition. With higher powered cartridges, LV 7.62mm suppressor performance will be limited.

.50 BMG suppressors are designed to be used with supersonic .50 BMG loads, though they can also be used to greater effect with subsonic .50 cartridges like the .500 and .510 Whispers.

An entry with two values (+3/+4) indicates that the suppressor is a "wet technology" design. The first value represents its effectiveness while dry, the second represents its effectiveness when water is added.

Thank you for the lecture, please provide sources when quoting references:

Suppressor Overview
http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearmac/suppress/sup_over.html

Leonidio said:
There are four suppressor design methods ... before grease can be added.

Leonidio said:
22 Rimfire suppressors can be used  .... when water is added.

And here is one for you, from the Conduct Guidelines at http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

You will properly attribute any quotes to the appropriate author or speaker.

You should really site your source when cutting and pasting.

Wouldn't want people thinking that was your own info, now would you.  ^-^

Edit: Oops, already been beat to it.

Also, note that we are talking about real supressors, as opposed to the ones depicted in the video game whose site was just plagarised.

*edit* Sorry, upon further inspection, the site appears to depict the rules of some kind of tabletop role-playing game, akin to Dundgeons and Dragons. My apologies for making it sound cooler than it actually is.

velocity meter  -- would be called a Chronograph -- yes I have one -- they are very common for reloaders...

Infidel-6 where can I buy one of them in Edmonton?My father is teaching me to reload and one of them will be nice to have.Thx for any info. :)

Back