• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

I never said you did! I just said it was probably ANTIFA, how could you have possibly infer that from my post that I was specifically saying you did say that? Can you please quote that?
I apologize, I jumped to conclusions. You seldom if ever agree with me, I saw no reason to feel different this time. I took it as a sarcastic remark. Mea culpa.

Unless someone can try to stretch a link between union support for the Democrats and a riot on Capitol Hill, I'd invite everyone to be back on topic.

-Milnet.ca Staff
Well that's no stretch at all. Just like the Church Lady explained that Santa was just an anagram for Satan, everybody knows that an anagram for trade unionists is "inundates riots" :cool:

Last edited:
Unless someone can try to stretch a link between union support for the Democrats and a riot on Capitol Hill, I'd invite everyone to be back on topic.

-Milnet.ca Staff
Are you saying every post on these 24 pages has been devoted to "a riot on Capitol Hill", Puckchaser?

No, I'm trying to be an actual member of the Directing Staff and keep people on topic. Nobody is singling you out, you just happened to be one of the latest off topic posts.

Seems Mitch McConnell isn’t happy with Trump. Looks like he may be open to impeachment to “purge” him from the GOP.

NY Times article. Behind a paywall unfortunately.

Saw it on television being picked up by other news sources but can’t read the actual article.

not behind paywall here.

I apologize, I jumped to conclusions. You seldom if ever agree with me, I saw no reason to feel different this time. I took it as a sarcastic remark. Mea culpa.
No worries, it was very tongue in cheek which doesn't always come across well in posts. I don't think we agree on the whole matter at hand wrt incitement vs non-incitement by DJT.

This entire series of posts highlights that words and their meanings are interpreted differently by different people based on their own internal biases, which was the context I was trying to convey in my original post. Those meanings will be taken in and spun in many directions; some of them fantastical and some of them more along the lines of common sense. Very few of them will match 100% with what was intended but whose belongs where is largely a matter of bias and interpretation.

Either the events of January 6th was the last straw for McConnell, or trump is a sinking ship and he is looking to get off.

Or both.
His wife already resigned as Transportation Secretary.

His wife already resigned as Transportation Secretary.
My I initial reaction to that was that certain people stepped down to avoid getting embroiled in a 25th amendment debacle. But yeah. The wind seems to be changing though. I think the senate only has to have 17 gop senators side with the democrats to convict.

Should things progress to impeachment, it will be interesting to see how many members of the House and how many senators are absent for the vote... that's another way to get the numbers needed, without having to go on the record as being against.

Imagine a center party (A la Liberals in Canada) in the USA? It would clean up. Leave the AOC Bernies to run the dems, and the Cruz Trump types to run the GOP and have a common sense center party run the country. A nice coalition of Biden, Mitt Romney, and Jeb Bush.
I think a party like that would do exceptionally well in Canada, the USA, UK, Australia, etc etc.

A 'center party' that didn't try to pander to the left or right fringes. Common sense ideas that are fairly center, made decisions based on whether those decisions actually made sense or not (ignoring which party or person made the suggestion) -- that party would clean house. Big time. (I would think anyway)

Either the events of January 6th was the last straw for McConnell, or trump is a sinking ship and he is looking to get off.

Or both.
Just read a few articles. None actually quoting McConnell. Lots of 'people close to', 'sources close to' just like the National Enquirer. I'll wait until he makes an actual statement. If he has, please post the link, cause I didn't see one anywhere.

This is me spitballing. As far as purging him from the party, he used them like the trudeau's used the LPC. As a vehicle to gain power. Trump's popularity rose to 48% after the riot (Rasmussen, I think) If he takes his 70-80 million base away with him to start another party, it'll be the voters purging themselves of the republicans. Many of the old Republicans and rinos have royally pissed off their voters and I don't think many will be getting voted back in in the midterms. Especially if Trump can get an opposing party up and running. And he doesn't even have to run. One of the kids can.

I think a party like that would do exceptionally well in Canada, the USA, UK, Australia, etc etc.

A 'center party' that didn't try to pander to the left or right fringes. Common sense ideas that are fairly center, made decisions based on whether those decisions actually made sense or not (ignoring which party or person made the suggestion) -- that party would clean house. Big time. (I would think anyway)
Not until all lobbyists and corporate donations are expelled from the system. Politicians need to become responsible to their voters again. Not their corporate sponsors.

Just read a few articles. None actually quoting McConnell. Lots of 'people close to', 'sources close to' just like the National Enquirer. I'll wait until he makes an actual statement. If he has, please post the link, cause I didn't see one anywhere.

This is me spitballing. As far as purging him from the party, he used them like the trudeau's used the LPC. As a vehicle to gain power. Trump's popularity rose to 48% after the riot (Rasmussen, I think) If he takes his 70-80 million base away with him to start another party, it'll be the voters purging themselves of the republicans. Many of the old Republicans and rinos have royally pissed off their voters and I don't think many will be getting voted back in in the midterms. Especially if Trump can get an opposing party up and running. And he doesn't even have to run. One of the kids can.
Mitch McConnell, despite my dislike for him, is still a smart politician. Many politicians get their messages out without getting it out themselves. They leak or they tell someone who becomes a source. I have no way of knowing if he did that or not but it would not shock me.

Trump’s base, while not insignificant, is nowhere near 80 million. Just because people voted for him does not mean they are part of his base. But your point has merit as it will certainly split the right wing in US politics assuming the Trump “party” can organise itself enough to do so. Meanwhile I’m certain the democrats are probably very very happy right now with how this is developing. As ER Campbell stated a few posts before, it may be time for Trumpites to find a new champion.

Back