• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Next Conservative Leader

Status
Not open for further replies.
E.R. Campbell said:
Paul Wells, writing in Maclean's, reports on rumours about the CPC leadership. He says that:

"Senior Conservative sources said there is already growing concern that either Harper, or people who were close to him while he was prime minister, are seeking to organize his succession. Some members of the party’s national
    council are calling for a leadership election as early as May of 2016, which would give an advantage to members who are already well-organized, The member who most closely fits that description is Jason Kenney.

Kenney will have competition. Simcoe-Grey MP Kellie Leitch, not one of the most prominent members of the former government, is said to have an organization already in place, including Andy Pringle, who was chief of staff to
    former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader John Tory, and pollsters Nick Kouvalis and Richard Ciano."

Of course people will seek to control events and take whatever advantages come their way. 

But I do like the idea of an open discussion.  There is time to get that out of the way in the next 18 month and then finesse the warts over the next two and a half years.

I could use some enlightenment on "You or I may dislike abortion, disapprove of it, wish it wasn't the "easy way out" for too many, but the government and the churches must leave women alone to make their own choices and reconcile with their own gods. It's none of the state's bloody business. "  I am pretty considerably confused about abortion but broadly agree with the quoted statement.  The state, though, generally pays for abortions.  Doesn't that make it the states' business?

Our system says, used to say, anyway, that our state provided medical insurance covers all medically necessary procedures ... now I keep on reading that some people, not many to be sure but some, must travel outside of Canada for what are, pretty clearly, medically necessary procedures because they are not available here, but Ontario, for example, doesn't always pay. So the "rule" seems, to me, to be a bit flexible.

Are all abortions "medically necessary?" Some are, to be sure ... no doubt. But some are for convenience, I think and maybe the state ought not to pay ... but who decides? A doctor? A civil servant? And on what basis?

I believe that a woman's right to have an abortion rests on an absolutely fundamental right to privacy as defined by Brandeis and Warren in the USA late in the 19th century. Full stop, end of that discussion. But the question of paying is a lot more complex and murky, especially if you believe, as I do, that the Canadian single payer healthcare system is economic/fiscal madness which cannot be sustained.

Rick Goebel said:
I could use some enlightenment on "You or I may dislike abortion, disapprove of it, wish it wasn't the "easy way out" for too many, but the government and the churches must leave women alone to make their own choices and reconcile with their own gods. It's none of the state's bloody business. "  I am pretty considerably confused about abortion but broadly agree with the quoted statement.  The state, though, generally pays for abortions.  Doesn't that make it the states' business?

Doctor\ Patient confidentiality should preclude that.

Doctor: I performed an abortion. OHIP, here's my bill.

OHIP: What was the nature of the abortion?

Doctor: None of your business.

recceguy said:
Doctor\ Patient confidentiality should preclude that.

Doctor: I performed an abortion. OHIP, here's my bill.

OHIP: What was the nature of the abortion?

How about: I performed in-vitro fertilization.  Quebec health care, here's my bill.

Quebec health care: How old was the patient?

Quebec health care: Well, yes it is.  We don't pay for in-vitro fertilization of women over 42.

Is there a reason why paying for only some in-vitro fertilization is ok but paying for only some abortions isn't?

In vitro for women over 42 has a very low chance of working and high risk for complications for both mother and child. I don't have a dog in the abortion fight, but that's their rationale behind the age limit.

Actually, there is a reason: In-vitro fertilization of women over 42 has been medically proven to have an insignificant (that means very very very very low) rate of success.

Abortion works on any woman who is pregnant.  ;)

All kidding aside, there are all sorts of medical questions that are covered by Provincial Health Care plans  (and even private plans) that require doctors to reveal some patient-doctor confidential information. And it is perfectly OK because it is to determine if the procedure is covered, and therefore paid by the plan. But this information has to be treated as confidential by those plans and cannot be for the purpose of determining moral values that the sate may wish to impose. At that point, the courts step in to stop the state.

David Akin speculates on how the leadership contest should develop in this column which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Toronto Sun:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/24/three-things-for-conservatives-to-consider-as-they-move-forward
TorontoSun_logo.gif

Tone, patience and unity
Three things for Conservatives to consider as they move forward

BY DAVID AKIN, PARLIAMENTARY BUREAU CHIEF

FIRST POSTED: SATURDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2015

OTTAWA — Freed from the communications lockdown they were in when Stephen Harper ran the joint, Conservatives everywhere are now freely offering up their opinions, criticisms, and correctives in the wake of Monday’s election loss.

It’s been very entertaining to listen to Conservative MPs, who would normally never venture beyond the talking points handed to them, now sailing forth with abandon, often in the presence of a reporter’s microphone.

But once they get that out of their system and the serious work of retuning the party begins, it would be wise to agree on a few winning principles: Avoid regional factionalism; have some patience; encourage an adult communications approach that acknowledges alternative views and avoids demonizing those who hold them.

Several Conservatives I’ve spoken to who will be influential in shaping the leadership race and, therefore, prefer not to be quoted by name just yet, said that, whatever happens, the next leader cannot be drawn into any debate that would pit one region against another.

Some Tory insiders told me they do not expect that to happen but it’s useful to remember that, after nearly a decade of Stephen Harper's government, Quebec nationalism is at at generational low tide at the same time there appears to be an absence of the kind of Western Canadian alienation that prompted Harper and friends to write their famous 2001 “firewall” letter.

That was the one in which Harper and others urged then Alberta premier Ralph Klein to essentially disconnect as much as possible from the then Liberal government in Ottawa.

One of the authors of that letter was Ken Boessenkool, who went on to play senior and central roles in every national Conservative campaign that Harper led, including the one just concluded.

“No one did more for national unity than the Harper government,” Boessenkool told me when I talked to him last week. “We’ve got peace in Canada.”

Boessenkool has been freely dispensing his advice about the party’s future since Monday’s loss.

Among the most interesting observations he’s offered is that the party should seriously consider the advantage a female candidate would have over Justin Trudeau in 2019.

“It’s quite remarkable. Women don’t lose,” Boessenkool said.

He singles out Christy Clark, Alison Redford, Rachel Notley, Kathleen Wynne, and Pauline Marois as examples of female politicians who, in their first try, won.

(We’ll overlook Ontario NDP Leader Andrea Horwath as the exception that proves the rule, perhaps.)

It’s an interesting proposition to consider, particularly since three current female members of the Conservative caucus are being encouraged to consider seeking their party’s leadership: Michelle Rempel of Alberta, Kellie Leitch and Lisa Raitt, both of Ontario.

“The person who’s been making the most intelligent points since the election is Lisa,” a well-connected Conservative from Ontario told me Friday.

But there’s no rush to choose. The first thing a Conservative war room veteran told me on Tuesday was the silver lining in the cloud that was the Trudeau majority government, was that it gave the party four years to get ready for the next election.

I’ve heard the same sentiment from others, the implication being that the leadership race should take a year to 18 months to unfold, followed by at least a year or so of policy renewal. That still leaves the new leader and party plenty of time to find new candidates and get on an election footing for 2019.

I also think it’s wise for Conservative partisans to assume their new leader may not win his or her first election.

Look for some electoral success in 2019, but an outright first-time win, conceivable if the party makes all the right choices in the next 24 months, is not essential for the next leader.

One of the things to get right is the tone the party and its leader use regarding political opponents and the media. Ever since Trudeau became Liberal leader, my inbox would regularly include a complaint from someone describing themselves as a “grassroots” Conservative who was embarrassed by the often juvenile way political opponents were treated in party advertising and by some MPs themselves.

If that’s how dyed-in-the-wool partisans felt, you can imagine how much it turned off potential or “soft” Conservative supporters.

Diane Finley, a Harper cabinet minister re-elected in southern Ontario, said, in announcing her intention to seek her party's interim leadership that, “Canadians expect from us a dignified, respectful but critical eye on the newly elected government.”

Indeed, they do. But Conservatives also expect a dignified, respectful government. Conservatives would be wise to remember that as they re-make their party.

So, in no particular order:

1. Consider women as, at least equal ~ maybe a bit more that equal ~ in probability of a "first round kill;"

2. No regionalism ~ no special status for a Quebec candidate nor for a Western one;

3. Take your time, but: new leader first, policy convention second; and

4. Get the whole tone of the party right, starting with the interim leader and how members perform in the house and in constituencies.

A GOOD female candidate from Ontario makes electoral sense as long as they are NOT:

Stridently conservative, histrionics are out.......

Able to avoid regionalism/divisiveness , especially when coming to decrying the Western influence

Being from Ontario will forestall a lot of the "out there" attitude. It is closer to home and safer....

:2c:       

footnote: Harper always had the footnote somewhere that he was from Calgary, therefore implying he did not really understand the East....

GAP said:
A GOOD female candidate from Ontario makes electoral sense as long as they are NOT:

Stridently conservative, histrionics are out.......

Able to avoid regionalism/divisiveness , especially when coming to decrying the Western influence

Being from Ontario will forestall a lot of the "out there" attitude. It is closer to home and safer....

:2c:       

footnote: Harper always had the footnote somewhere that he was from Calgary, therefore implying he did not really understand the East....

Defining "good," in conservative terms, for Conservatives, is the tricky part. There is no, single, one-size-fits-all Conservative; the spectrum runs from the hard edge of the religious right to the left wing of the Red  Tories, who are Liberals in everything but name. The leader ought ~ in my opinion ~ to eschew both those wings and aim, squarely, for the socially moderate and fiscally prudent middle of the spectrum.

I self identify as being in about the middle of that conservative spectrum and I want a leader who, even though (s)he holds a principled pro-life position, recognizes and affirms that abortion is a settled issue, some Conservatives may wish to debate it, that;'s their right, even to raise it in parliament, but the party's position is that choice is a woman's right and the issue will not be revisited by a Conservative government; I want a leader who will be brave enough to roll back some social programmes and repeal the Canada Health Act, leaving provinces free to experiment with whatever models make fiscal and political sense; I want a leader who will stop the cronyism, pork barrelling and corporate welfare that masquerade as "regional economic diversification" programmes; I want a leader who will make practical policies that aim to stop the human rot that infests too many (arguably most) First Nations ~ First Nations people need to be able to stand, proudly, on their own merits, and through their own efforts as happy, prosperous Canadians; I want a leader who will explain to Canadians why we need to pay for a modest but efficient and effective military, even though it may be a "waste" in pure economic terms; finally I want a leader who will enunciate a practical (affordable), principled and even visionary foreign policy that sets goals for Canada in the world.

I think he died about 2000 years ago.....but yeah..... ;D

So you basically want Harper, but more to the right? :)

An interesting thing about Harper's "control" is that without it the CPC might never have gotten into a position to complain about losing government due to it.

There is still a deeply rooted anti western bias in the political intelligentsia. In Mr Trudea's own words:

“Certainly when we look at the great prime ministers of the 20th century, those that really stood the test of time, they were MPs from Quebec ... This country — Canada — it belongs to us.”

I think this comment sums up the mountain the next (any) Conservative leader has to scale.

Brad Sallows said:
So you basically want Harper, but more to the right? :)

An interesting thing about Harper's "control" is that without it the CPC might never have gotten into a position to complain about losing government due to it.

You're not far off at all, Brad.

I thought Prime Minister Harper was far too cautious on the small government, First Nations and corporate welfare fronts.

I opposed many (not all) of his "boutique tax cuts," but I thought (still think) his cuts to the HST/GST was good public policy as well as being good politics, because it makes it harder for any government to spend wildly.

I supported him, broadly, on foreign policy, especially on freer trade with all and sundry, and I have expressed the view, elsewhere, that it was the MND, DM and CDS of the day, back in 2012, who failed a test administered by the prime minister (in the form of direction to cut the fat in HQs), not the prime minister being "wrong" on defence.

My sense of the CPC's base is shown in the attached diagram. I believe that the next leader must aim to please the 90±% of Conservatives who are somewhere on the Social and fiscal moderates through to Social moderates but fiscal hawks segments on the spectrum. I think we can, even should, be prepared to jettison the Red Tories and the Social conservatives, if necessary to preserve party unity, and the two extreme fringes if they cannot stomach the "mushy middle."

E.R. Campbell said:
Defining "good," in conservative terms, for Conservatives, is the tricky part. There is no, single, one-size-fits-all Conservative; the spectrum runs from the hard edge of the religious right to the left wing of the Red  Tories, who are Liberals in everything but name. The leader ought ~ in my opinion ~ to eschew both those wings and aim, squarely, for the socially moderate and fiscally prudent middle of the spectrum.

I self identify as being in about the middle of that conservative spectrum and I want a leader who, even though (s)he holds a principled pro-life position, recognizes and affirms that abortion is a settled issue, some Conservatives may wish to debate it, that;'s their right, even to raise it in parliament, but the party's position is that choice is a woman's right and the issue will not be revisited by a Conservative government; I want a leader who will be brave enough to roll back some social programmes and repeal the Canada Health Act, leaving provinces free to experiment with whatever models make fiscal and political sense; I want a leader who will stop the cronyism, pork barrelling and corporate welfare that masquerade as "regional economic diversification" programmes; I want a leader who will make practical policies that aim to stop the human rot that infests too many (arguably most) First Nations ~ First Nations people need to be able to stand, proudly, on their own merits, and through their own efforts as happy, prosperous Canadians; I want a leader who will explain to Canadians why we need to pay for a modest but efficient and effective military, even though it may be a "waste" in pure economic terms; finally I want a leader who will enunciate a practical (affordable), principled and even visionary foreign policy that sets goals for Canada in the world.

https://www.libertarian.ca/

These guys have the platform you want, but are organizationally impaired WRT actually getting things done on the scale needed (sorry to the guys who ran this election, and kudos for doing so, but when you get right down to it...). If anything, they need someone even more ruthless and focused than Stephen Harper as a leader to get their game up.

The Globe and Mail is reporting that former Foreign Minister and Ottawa MP John Baird, 46, is, indeed, considering offering himself for the CPC leadership.

"A Baird candidacy," the Globe and Mail opines, "would significantly alter the ‎competitive landscape for the helm of a party now in search of a compelling challenger to stand up to prime-minister-designate Justin Trudeau. As things stand, the presumed heir apparent is Jason Kenney, 47, a veteran of the Harper cabinet who is still deciding whether to run."

Further, the Globe suggests that "Mr. Baird’s political philosophy is not readily distinguishable from Mr. Kenney’s; were both men to run, the choice for voters would come down to personality and perceived winnability rather than a change in direction [and] like Mr. Kenney, Mr. Baird could be described as a small-government conservative who is hawkish on security and defence."

I am a bit of a John Baird fan, and, as I have said several times, on Army.ca, I am unconcerned about the private lives and proclivities of politicians as long as they are within the bounds of the law and (reasonably) good manners, but I also agree with those who think that we need to change the public "face" (image) of the CPC, to a less stern, unyielding and secretive one, and I wonder if a female leader might not be a better choice to face off against Justin Trudeau in 2019.

David Parkins, in the Globe and Mail, takes stock of the CPC leadership hopefuls as they sift through the electoral wreckage:

webmonedcar26col1.jpg

L to R: Jason Kenney, Tony Clement, Peter MacKay (looking on from afar), Kellie Leitch, John Baird,
Lisa Rait, Maxime Bernier and Doug Ford
Source:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/editorial-cartoons-for-october-2015/article26577881/

I don't see Michelle Rempel there but I think she's a possible contender.

E.R. Campbell said:
The Globe and Mail is reporting that former Foreign Minister and Ottawa MP John Baird, 46, is, indeed, considering offering himself for the CPC leadership.

But, CBC News quotes Mr Baird as saying "While I have indeed received expressions of interest and am tremendously flattered by the support, I will not be running for leader of the Conservative party of Canada ... When I retired from politics, I spoke about starting a new chapter in my life. I am extremely happy with this new chapter and will remain dedicated to my work in the private sector."

I have to think that Harper allowed an "echo chamber" to form around him, it seemed that slowly they cut off any dissent and people voicing other opinions, got wrapped up in the strategy games and sniping their opponent. They lost the ear to the ground that would have allowed them to pick up clues from the voters. 

Colin P said:
I have to think that Harper allowed an "echo chamber" to form around him, it seemed that slowly they cut off any dissent and people voicing other opinions, got wrapped up in the strategy games and sniping their opponent. They lost the ear to the ground that would have allowed them to pick up clues from the voters.

As others have said, that may have been essential to create enforce some sort of unity on the diverse elements of the fledgling Conservative Party of Canada. There was, as I recall, a lot of dissent from the old Red Tories on the left and some of the hard edged Reformers on the right. Party unity was not a foregone conclusion ... it is still not guaranteed, as David Aiken pointed out in an article I posted yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back