• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

9mm, Too old?

I just put about 185 rounds through a Browning yesterday evening. All jams attributed to mags, pistol worked well, considering we had to blow 1900 rounds through 10 pistols.

I LOVE when your unit needs to blow off all ammo before end of FY  ;D

Wow, 190 rounds per pistol.  Impressive.  I put 450 rounds through my 10mm DE in a day and a half last June, and I just fired 80 today, 40 last Tuesday and 44 last Sunday.  I also got in 20 rounds of a friends .40, but only fired 10 from his BHP.  He fired about 190 out of his Browning (an Inglis 0T____), today.  I would bother listing the .38/.357/.455 he fired.

It's time to crank up the Dillon, I have about 1600 empty 10mm cases that need reloading.

I do not consider myself a serious pistol shooter either.

Mickey said:
After sitting back quietly reading the posts, I noticed a common trend; if you're going to get a glock, get it in 9mm. This raises a question...

Is it because of the Glock's design that we should only get a Glock in 9mm? I have heard from some Glock owners that because the Glock was originally designed in 9X19mm Parabellum, the glock isn't guaranteed to perform as well in other calibres (ie .40 S&W, .45 ACP, etc) with respect to mileage and stability. This doesn't make sense, however, since Glocks are made in other calibres anyway. Can someone perhaps clarify if this is just a knock to make glocks sound bad or just plain bogus?

I know of 2 people that had their Glock in .40cal split open, it seems to be something about to much of the case hanging out of the chamber and perhaps the case design or the pressure buildup (not much room in the case). Yet I have not heard of problems with either the 9mm or .45acp models.

I’m shooting the Norinco NZ-85B, which I call “Son of Hi-power” as they are very similar pistols, just ordered a tuned Norinco 1911Commander and placed an order for the All stainless Sig P226 in 9mm. Would like to get a Glock one day and one of the Hi-Powers with the stock connect in the grip or one of the FM MkIII BHP’s, but will have the let the bank account recover for a bit. If someone else paid for the ammo, I would get the .40cal/.357 Sig P226, but the ammo is to pricey for me.

I laugh when people tell me a Hi-Power is big and bulky, it’s puny compared to many full sized pistols, but it is a nice shooter, slips into the hand like a glass of good beer.

Is the Detective model that FM offers prohibited? 

What weight of bullet is the military ammo, 124gr?

There is nothing wrong with the BHP regardless if its a T series Inglis wartime job, or the latest Vigilante model, the Mk3 as used here.

Its all about referbishment and keeping things servicable, and rotating things, so there is a balance. Thats the key to any eqpt in service. I don't buy that MPs words 'its always jamming'. Maybe there is something wrong with his pistol (extractor, mainspring/guide etc).

The Inglis 9mms were infact made from 1944 to 45, and we did NOT adopt the BHP in 1937 either. Sometimes I question were pers get their own info from.

Australia still has the odd T series Inglis around, heaps of L9A1s, now well over 40 yrs old, and a new batch of Mk3's, which differ only slightly, such as a cast lower, ergo trigger, new sights, removable lanyard loop, ambo safety, and ergo grips, (the safety and grips fit well on a T series).
he

If we are going to whinge, what about the .50 cal, although we (Australia) have the new FNH recievers, we are also using heaps of wartime recievers with the mods for the new QCB. Yes, all those AC Spark Plug ones are ALL pre 1945.

Again its all about maintenance, serviceability,  and proper rotation. Once things are too worn beyond a tolerance, yes then ensure they are taken out of service.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,

Wes

geo said:
Amen - thank you Wes

Chimo!
[/quote          I really enjoy reading your posts ,Wes,very informative and interesting, always a good read from a Canuck serving with our Aussie friends " Down Under".

Q) what is the difference between an Aussie kiss & a French kiss?

A) same thing..... only it is done "down under"

(and if I have to explain that.... I won't ;))

I don’t know what pistol training is like now in the forces, but it was god awful when I was in, the blind leading the blind. I wish I had been more into pistols back then, the though of being able to play with a BHP for free makes me whine every time I have to buy ammo.

Unless your unit has guys from DHTC come out to run CQB or other trg prior to deployment you will have some semi-incompetant boob teaching 99% of the time...

So that's what that old WW2 pistol I used on the Range was called. I thought they replaced those old pistols already, oh well.

Mine never jammed though. It was a really good pistol too.

Since I'm studying history I really enjoyed firing that old pistol, it was just like the ones in the WW2 movies.

Ok, let me get this straight, you were handed a weapon. Did you go over the characteristics at all? Did you go over IAs and stoppages? You are not painting RMC cadets in a favorable light especially with 61 posts to your credit already and only joining in the past day. bbbb do yourself a favour and read through the forum, read the guidelines and faq that were given to you earlier. If you do this you will definitely enjoy the boards more. While we appreciate new member enthusiasm, it sometimes backfires upon them. So slow down!

bbbb..... yes the 9mm BHP was designed and released at the end of WW2.
if you look at the .45cal colt 1911.... it's design is even older..... old does not equate with bad.

newer fancier pistols have tried to build on it's success - some have surpassed, some haven't.

Oi, there's a reason why Officer Cadets are kept squirreled away until they've hatched....

bbbb, a word of advice from someone who has travelled the road your feet are currently on: the proper posture for a young MilCol OCdt, when surrounded by people who have been wearing the uniform longer than he has been alive, is ears open, mouth shut. Learn what you can, but refrain from joining in on subjects where you have no experience; you will do yourself less damage that way.

Trust me, leaving the nice safe womb of Kingston and joining the real world will be traumatic enough without you showing up at your new unit and finding that your reputation has preceded you.

DG

RecceDG said:
... leaving the nice safe womb of Kingston and joining the real world will be traumatic enough without you showing up at your new unit and finding that your reputation has preceded you....
DG

That right there should be a sticky!!!

blake

"bbbb..... yes the 9mm BHP was designed and released at the end of WW2.
if you look at the .45cal colt 1911.... it's design is even older..... old does not equate with bad."

- Both designed by the same guy, though after john Moses Browning died in Belgium i 1926, it took awhile  - 1935 - until  Dieudonne Saive got it sorted out and marketed as the P35 GP ("High Power").  Canada adopted it in 1944.

Do we need a new pistol?  Depends what you do.  Rifles are built to kill at long range, shotguns are built to kill at short range, pistols are built MOSTLY to CARRY.  For those who carry a pistol as a PRIMARY weapon - maybe they need one of those new tupperware hi-cap wonder-nines.  The rest of us can keep cycling through the 12,000 or so Inglis BHPs we have in storage.

FN still makes the BHP in several variants, and about a dozen or so American companies build low to hi end variants of the M1911A1 in .45 ACP, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm, etc.

Para Ordnance in Toronto builds 1911A1s as well.  Good ones, too.

I cant say anything good about Para-Ordnance - they never seem to make it to high rounds counts without failing...

Tom IIRC we adopted the BHP in 1942 - but they started rolling off in 1944...

Out of curiosity what were we using up until 1942? One of the Webley variants?

Back