• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A few questions on kit exchange

AWilson

Inactive
Reaction score
I started BMQ as a reservist in mid February and I was issued my kit the day before I left. Needless to say, I didn't have much time to really go through it and find any issues. So I learned about the issues on BMQ.

I would need to go back to the clothing store to exchange my boots for a different size, but I don't know what size changes to use. The problem was that I got huge blisters on the back of my heels and it got worse the tighter I tied them. If they got too lose, I had the same issue. So if anyone knows or has a good guess about how to change the sizing of the boot to make it more comfortable, help is always welcome. A possible important note: The gortex I got, in the same size, are still a little uncomfortable, but they don't give me blisters.

I also have to change my helmet straps and gas mask to a left handed version, but do I need to go to the clothing store for that? If not, who do I go to or how do I change the gear myself?

Thanks for your help.

In the days before Al Gore invented the Internet, people used to ask their Course Staff.

Those guys can probably still answer such questions, even if fewer and fewer people ask them first anymore.

Loachman said:
In the days before Al Gore invented the Internet, people used to ask their Course Staff.

Those guys can probably still answer such questions, even if fewer and fewer people ask them first anymore.

:goodpost:

AWilson said:
So if anyone knows or has a good guess about how to change the sizing of the boot to make it more comfortable, help is always welcome. A possible important note: The gortex I got, in the same size, are still a little uncomfortable, but they don't give me blisters.

Wear two pairs of socks.  A pair of cotton sport socks and then the wool socks over top, which ever works for you.

Even with two pairs, I still get blisters. It's only my regular combat boots that are the problem.

I have sent an email to my course staff, it's just nice to have two answer to think over.

AWilson said:
I have sent an email to my course staff....
Sometimes I lose track that I clearly joined a different army, with a different view on chain of command....and sadly, very differing concepts of 'leadership.' 

I very sincerely wish you the best of luck.  :salute:

My course staff said just to wear my Gortex, which I already am, but doesn't address what kind of size of boot I should look for at the clothing store. I asked here because my foot size, a 13, isn't very common, and making a 2 hour bus ride to the clothing store to find out they don't have the specific size I need would be a huge waste of time. I was hoping to call ahead to ask if they have it, but I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the help you guys gave.

AWilson said:
My course staff said just to wear my Gortex, which I already am, but doesn't address what kind of size of boot I should look for at the clothing store. I asked here because my foot size, a 13, isn't very common, and making a 2 hour bus ride to the clothing store to find out they don't have the specific size I need would be a huge waste of time. I was hoping to call ahead to ask if they have it, but I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.

Thanks for the help you guys gave.

Ok, so the issue is that you seem to have "ill-fitted" boots and wish to improve that situation. If I have this wrong then please feel free to correct me. Here is the low down:

You cannot "call in" your size unless you are certain of the size you need (most Clothing Stores will want to see you in person anyway). It seems as though you aren't totally familiar with the boot sizing though - we don't have anything in a "13" or even a 12, 11, etc... we moved to mondo point sizing a few years ago. SO... if you want boots to fit, you don't ask Clothing for a specific size, we will put you onto our little sizing machine and measure your foot in millimeters from heel to toe and side to side. Keep in mind - we have 76 sizes of any one style of boot so the chances of us NOT having a size to fit you are quite slim!

In summary, there is no need for you to have boots that don't fit. This is Clothing Stores' job to fix, not yours. You job is to be honest about the fit. You are entitled to be picky with the size (your feet) but don't be a diva!

If you are prone to blisters, maybe it's a medical issue, not a boot issue?

My issue was that I tried the boot on, but didn't lace it up. Once I did (at BMQ), it was far tighter than I would like, thus causing the blisters. I did mention at the counter that they were a bit tight at the heel, so a little longer would be perfect, but the Corporal there said the next length was 5 cm bigger.

And just so I don't seem like a pretentious jerk, I didn't mean that I would call in my size (in retrospect, it sounded quite diva-ish), just call to check if they had it.

AWilson said:
My issue was that I tried the boot on, but didn't lace it up. Once I did (at BMQ), it was far tighter than I would like, thus causing the blisters. I did mention at the counter that they were a bit tight at the heel, so a little longer would be perfect, but the Corporal there said the next length was 5 cm bigger.

And just so I don't seem like a pretentious jerk, I didn't mean that I would call in my size (in retrospect, it sounded quite diva-ish), just call to check if they had it.

What is SUPPOSED to happen is we have you lace the boot up in front of us, have you walk around a little and go from there. You would be amazed how many soldiers don't know how to choose the correct boot size.

The Cpl that said the next size up was 5cm was either misheard by you or incorrect. 5mm yes. The difference between 5cm is about 30 pairs of boots! The heel issue is common. We try to adjust the length to accommodate the heel pinch and we lose the width. As well, same thing with the width - we then lose the length. We have some tricks up our sleeves but this is why we have a sizing kit.

/tangent

But when you through orthodics into the mix sometimes this trick doesn't work....

NFLD Sapper said:
/tangent

But when you through orthodics into the mix sometimes this trick doesn't work....

Ahh yes... that's why I size you wit AND without your orthotics. Sometimes I can find a size in between that works better. Remember, the boot will break in over time.

BinRat55 said:
The Cpl that said the next size up was 5cm was either misheard by you or incorrect.
...or maybe the Cpl was referring only  to the sizes in-stock at that QM, and was trying to cut short the, "I'll try the next size"... "Don't have it"... "I'll try the size after that"... "Don't have it"... "OK, I'll try the next size after that".... "Don't have it"....

Saying that there are 76 different boot sizes in the system is terrific theory, but you have to admit that there's no shortage of posts here decrying the shortage/absence of boots at various locations.

BinRat55 said:
... You would be amazed how many soldiers don't know how to choose the correct boot size.
We have some tricks up our sleeves but this is why we have a sizing kit.

Ummm... shouldn't those with the sizing kit be the ones who know how to choose the correct size?

dapaterson said:
Ummm... shouldn't those with the sizing kit be the ones who know how to choose the correct size?

Yes absolutely. This is what i'm saying. Often times we get certain customers that will take the first boot they try on just to get out of there - you'd swear we were dentists! Sorry all you Dental persons...

Sometimes it's about "Oh you don't have my size? I'll take the next one up then." My hands are tied - I will do what I can to please the customer.

Journeyman said:
...or maybe the Cpl was referring only  to the sizes in-stock at that QM, and was trying to cut short the, "I'll try the next size"... "Don't have it"... "I'll try the size after that"... "Don't have it"... "OK, I'll try the next size after that".... "Don't have it"....

Saying that there are 76 different boot sizes in the system is terrific theory, but you have to admit that there's no shortage of posts here decrying the shortage/absence of boots at various locations.

Ok Journeyman, this was about boots not being sized properly, not to point out the so-called flaws in the Supply system. BUT, for the record, 76 sizes isn't a "terrific theory" it's an actual fact. I can provide you with all 77 stock codes as well as quantities found nationally.

And before anyone else jumps in to ask why we have to order them all the time let me clear that up - Gagetown has approx 5000 soldiers. One LOTB entitlement is 2 pairs. Now we have to store on-site 10000 pairs of boots. As it's impossible to know the exact sizes of 5000 soldiers so we have to have extra. We are now at 15000 pairs of boots. That is just ONE boot. We have 2 styles of LOTB, Goretex WW, CWW and steel toe. We are upwards of 60000 pairs of boots - and that is a conservative number. Where on earth do we keep them? Ask ArmyVern. She knows someone at the depot in Edmonton if you want to talk about storing boots!

It's staggering. Bur we do our best - one foot at a time!

AWilson said:
My issue was that I tried the boot on, but didn't lace it up.

AH HA!  When you go out an buy shoes, do you lace them up properly and take a few paces to see how they feel?  Well, trying on army boots is no different. 

Lesson learned.

BinRat55 said:
It's staggering. Bur we do our best - one foot at a time!

That's all that can be asked, and you've helped me quite a lot, thank you.

Back