• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Protesters Response To "The Ex Charging Bison" Thread

If you type in 'exercise charging bison' in google, and then look into the 'news' icon you'll notice there are many interesting articles representing both sides of this thread. I am hoping someone has a subscription to the Winnipeg Press and is able to post them here.

Well done, Paracowboy.

kgerrard:  Have you ever met a soldier?  Not at a barricade, when his game face is on, but at a BBQ or over a beer or at Timmys.  If you haven't, you really should.  We have seen, first hand, the best and the worst of humanity (as illustrated by Paracowboy) and we are, mostly, willing to share our experiences with those who will take the time to listen.

Believe it or not, many of us like talking to those with opposing viewpoints.  In one way it prepares us for doing just that on tours, 'cause the overwhelming number of contacts we have with the locals involve talking, not shooting.

That being said, I may not agree with you and your comrades. In fact, I certainly do not.  But I will defend to my death your right, no, your FREEDOM to disagree with me without fear.

You're welcome.

Its hard to fully appreciate Paracowboy's post without actually being there. Unless otherwise noted these pics were taken by either myself, or my buddies - all Privates and Corporals in 1RCR between Feb and Aug 2005.

kgerrard: The first and primary role of the Infantry is to close with and defeat the enemy, any time and any place. But as professional soldiers we often tone it down as required by the operation, and you can tell by these pics that we're NOT the thugs you've made us out to be.

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense

3.JPG

On patrol. (Photo taken by combat camera)
7.JPG

A convoy through the city.
10.JPG

One of our docs shows how her digital camera works.
8.JPG

This is a school where we handed out pencils, paper, and other supplies during a CIMIC task.
6.JPG

Outside the school on the same CIMIC tasking.
4.JPG

On patrol again.
2.JPG

Working with the Afghan National Army.
11.JPG

Working with the Kabul City Police.
9.JPG

Having a bit of fun on patrol.
12.JPG

The Sappers took us out for a demonstration on blowing unexploded ordinance (UXOs). Its all part of our effort to clean up the countryside.
1.JPG

A nicer part of town.

Pro Patria

Another great bunch of photo's that won't make the media.  Looks like you guys were doing our country proud over there.  :salute: :cdn:

probum: please define "practical solution."  and note that none of "our" solutions have been tried, and none of "yours" seem to work.

But just go out there in your hemp sandals and have a “dialogue?”

for the last time, i'm not a hippie!  Also doesn't seem like you've read much about
anarchism. 

"am so sick of ‘murderers and scumbags’ (and if you call the perpetrators of September 11 anything else, we do have a problem)" i agree.  i just don't make exceptions if they happen to be western leaders. 

"The bottom line kgerrard is that yours and your cohorts philosophy on how to conduct international affairs and employ the military effectively in the worlds troubled regions is completely and utterly lacking any evidence to suggest it would work"

mainly because we never try.  I think Neville Chamberlain's agreement didnt work because germany was a technological/military powerhouse, which the taliban is not.  our argument isn't appeasment, it's that the west should stop participating and engaging in terror, start respecting the world court, follow international law and the geneva conventions. sounds reasonable to me.

Which system would they preffer to live under? Since very few seem to emigrate to places like Iran, North Korea or China, I think the answer is self evident......
i don't recall anyone saying we'd like to revert to religious theocracy instead.  the "love it or leave it" jibe is pretty thin.  we're just trying to find ways to improve what we have.  if you have a flat tire, do you just trash the car?

"I see what these people have, and more importantly, what they do NOT have and I feel embarrassed to be Canadian."

i couldn't agree more, but i think the history of afghanistan is rife with foreign intervention.  you sum it up with: "Man, I was just a kid of eight, when the Soviets sponsored a coup in 1978, then invaded in 1979. There’s been a constant state of warfare ever since."

this is also consequently when the U.S. created the mujahadeen, "to draw the russians into an afghan trap" as zbegniew brzinski, NSA to president carter put it.  if we're really serious about this, maybe we should be sure and prosecute washington along with the taliban, since they share responsibility.

points aside (and still haven't had much debate on any facts i put forth) we're not saying iran or north korea is a better model to live by (which someone actually suggested we had said) nor are we "supporting" the insane ideals of any of these governments.  Nor do we have any ill blood towards any individual soldiers.  the war on terror is just a really good example.  how can the one state (US) condemned by the UNSC for "unlawful use of force", i.e. state-sponsored terrorism(vetoed), who still harbours terrorists (carilles, constant, etc) was the first to use nukes, doesn't respect the world court, defys the non-proliferation treaty openly, openly commits war crimes, on and on...be the country in charge of stopping terror?  i care about our solidiers like i care about anyone else, and when the government i pay my taxes to sends you to die for that cause, i have to question that. 
And judging by the governments neglect in caring for vetrans, i think you should question it too. 

doncab quote:
probum: please define "practical solution."  and note that none of "our" solutions have been tried, and none of "yours" seem to work.
mainly because we never try.  I think Neville Chamberlain's agreement didn't work because germany was a technological/military powerhouse, which the taliban is not.  our argument isn't appeasement, it's that the west should stop participating and engaging in terror, start respecting the world court, follow international law and the Geneva conventions. sounds reasonable to me.
"Other" ways of conducting international affairs have been done and as I stated in my first post they failed. Let me again focus on pointing out some of the recent, most notable failures of the world (western nations) in trying to stop war, conflict, genocide, famine,etc.. Since the 1956 Suez crisis which worked for reasons mainly due not to the fact UN troops were put on the ground most UN military interventions to stop conflict since have been dismal failures. These were mainly the Chapter 6 Security council missions which had very limited military action allowed, were meant to enforce "peace treaties" , assist with humanitarian aid-they were they "UN Peacekeeping" mission. I'm going to assume kgerrard and you doncab would mostly likely approve of this type of approach and in the news many protesting against our action in Afghanistan want us to go back to the "Peacekeeping" tradition (actually myth). These past missions I think are closest to doing what you suggest as being "our' way of doing things and were efforts to try and resolve conflict without large scale military intervention. Unfortunately as I stated most of these missions failed, again Rwanda, Somalia, Bosnia and the Congo come to mind and these turned into great humanitarian disasters. Essentially you cannot stop aggressor states/factions/groups through dialogue or even by standing in front of them with a blue helmet on while only being able to say stop and there is plenty of evidence to support this. Most successes in stopping aggressor nations/factions/groups was through direct military action that was applied until the aggressor surrendered or was destroyed. Fairly recent actions by NATO in Kosovo show this worked better then the UN mission in the same region. Korea is another good example and I believe our work in Afghanistan will eventually prove to be the right "approach". The troops on the ground like Wonderbread can comment on this more then myself. I will again ask kgerrard and you doncab to detail some international actions in the world where your suggested way of doing things has worked to stop war, aggressors, genocide, etc.. we await your responces.

Haggis said:
We have seen, first hand, the best and the worst of humanity (as illustrated by Paracowboy)

:rofl: 
Well, maybe paracowboy's not quite the best/worst of humanity, but he's young - - he still has time to improve/corrupt. ;D

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled "debate"  :brickwall:

doncab said:
mainly because we never try.  I think Neville Chamberlain's agreement didnt work because germany was a technological/military powerhouse, which the taliban is not.  our argument isn't appeasment, it's that the west should stop participating and engaging in terror, start respecting the world court, follow international law and the geneva conventions. sounds reasonable to me
the Taliban, in fact anyone, can easily strike at anyone else without being a powerhouse. As has been proven by them flynig airplanes into buildings, blowing up nightclubs, using rowboats to blow holes in big freakin' warships, and chopping the heads off anyone they dislike. Your argument holds no water, I'm afraid. Chamberlain's policy didn't work because he was trying to appease a bully. That never works, as you should damn well know from elementary school. The Taliban, Al Queerdo, et al, are bullies. As are the Theocrats in Iran, the Communists in Norht Korea, the regime in Khartoum, and others of their ilk. The only way to make a bully stop, is by punching him in the face.

And, where, exactly, have we (the Western powers) violated the Geneva Conventions? Broken international law? Ignored  the world court? And this is simply insulting:
stop participating and engaging in terror
You dolt. Prove this or shut up. Show me.

Which system would they preffer to live under? Since very few seem to emigrate to places like Iran, North Korea or China, I think the answer is self evident......
i don't recall anyone saying we'd like to revert to religious theocracy instead.  the "love it or leave it" jibe is pretty thin.  we're just trying to find ways to improve what we have.  if you have a flat tire, do you just trash the car?
nope. But when my tire is running fine, I don't appreciate some twit telling me I need a new one, either. Especially when I'm giving him a free ride.

this is also consequently when the U.S. created the mujahadeen, "to draw the russians into an afghan trap" as zbegniew brzinski, NSA to president carter put it.  if we're really serious about this, maybe we should be sure and prosecute washington along with the taliban, since they share responsibility.
ah, no. The mujehedeen were simply farmers and former soldiers who rebelled against kafirs invading their homeland. The US provided funds through the ISI for them to purchase arms, medical supplies, etc. But the US did not "create" the Muj. Their own religious beliefs did that.

points aside (and still haven't had much debate on any facts i put forth) we're not saying iran or north korea is a better model to live by (which someone actually suggested we had said) nor are we "supporting" the insane ideals of any of these governments.  Nor do we have any ill blood towards any individual soldiers.  the war on terror is just a really good example.  how can the one state (US) condemned by the UNSC for "unlawful use of force", i.e. state-sponsored terrorism(vetoed), who still harbours terrorists (carilles, constant, etc) was the first to use nukes, doesn't respect the world court, defys the non-proliferation treaty openly, openly commits war crimes, on and on...be the country in charge of stopping terror?
  and there it is. The truth. An anti-American. Another sad victim of Jan Brady syndrome.

i care about our solidiers like i care about anyone else, and when the government i pay my taxes to sends you to die for that cause, i have to question that. 
And judging by the governments neglect in caring for vetrans, i think you should question it too.
  once again, this just shows that you really don't "get" us.

doncab said:
"am so sick of ‘murderers and scumbags’ (and if you call the perpetrators of September 11 anything else, we do have a problem)" i agree.  i just don't make exceptions if they happen to be western leaders. 

Okay, so now EVERY leader in the western world is under suspicion.  Who is more contemptable?  The leader that takes initiative and goes to solve a problem, or the one who watches as thousands die in torture and religious oppression's, wringing their hands and hoping that throwing good wishes and money will make the problem go away.  You forget, the planning for 9/11 was going on well before the execution of that plan.  Wasn't a whole lot of interference before that.  I remember the first World Trade Center bombing, the USS Cole, the Marine barracks and on and on.  The US didn't start this thing, and most certainly they haven't gotten much help from too many nations, save for Britain and a couple others that showed up.  

doncab said:
mainly because we never try.  I think Neville Chamberlain's agreement didnt work because germany was a technological/military powerhouse, which the taliban is not.  our argument isn't appeasment, it's that the west should stop participating and engaging in terror, start respecting the world court, follow international law and the geneva conventions. sounds reasonable to me.

Yah, sounds reasonable to me too.  So please provide an example where the world court has effectively stopped a military action against Islamic extremists.  Maybe you could use Rwanda....no, that was a massacre and everyone watched.  Oh, wait, remember the world court's big success in Zaire?  That was a ...oh, yeah.  That was a massacre to.  How many examples of hand sitting do you need until you realize that the UN is a useless bureaucratic cluster hump that can't do anything if a country chooses to ignore it?
[can anyone else believe that someone would openly support Chamberlain?  hoo.]

doncab said:

No, most people would change it.  But for your example, lets pretend that you have to call the UN in order to get permission to change it.  So now you have to bring your case to a panel of 150 odd individuals to ask if you should change the tire.  Then, two of the people on the panel, who have their own tire shops, say "don't change the tire, we will form a committee and find a way to fix it".  Then, the one who sold the tires to you launches into a fit because the tires he sells "don't go flat, this is a blatant attempt at imperialism and I will sell no tires to anyone in the world until this injustice is spoken to".  Now, everyone who is more concerned with getting their tires cheap is looking pensive, so they decide that your problem is not as important as keeping the tire merchant happy.  So half a year later, the frame work for a team of inspectors is put together to come and look at the tire to see if it is in fact flat.  However, two years later, when the team does show up, they look at the tire and say "yup, that looks pretty flat".   They create a report, that goes to a committee who studies the results, but comes to the conclusion that "it looks a bit thin, but it's workable and we should monitor it's progress to see if further problems arise.  I'm betting that the next time you get a flat, you won't be too inclined to pick up the phone.  However, by not doing so, you will be labeled a war criminal and terrorist in your own right (tyrerist?) and will forever after be criticized for not calling when you had a straight forward problem.  
Yup.  Some good and effective stuff.

doncab said:

Ugh.  Get over the mujaheddin.  The former USSR was trying to turn the whole world communist (which I imagine you would love) and they had to be stopped.  The only people there was to work with at the time were the local fighters.  Yes, they were trained and supplied by the US.  Did it bite them in the ass?  Obviously.  But now, since the problem has been created, it has to be solved.  You continue to argue policy, but have conveniently ignored the main thing here--the PEOPLE.  

doncab said:
points aside (and still haven't had much debate on any facts i put forth) we're not saying iran or north korea is a better model to live by (which someone actually suggested we had said) nor are we "supporting" the insane ideals of any of these governments.  Nor do we have any ill blood towards any individual soldiers.  the war on terror is just a really good example.  how can the one state (US) condemned by the UNSC for "unlawful use of force", i.e. state-sponsored terrorism(vetoed), who still harbours terrorists (carilles, constant, etc) was the first to use nukes, doesn't respect the world court, defys the non-proliferation treaty openly, openly commits war crimes, on and on...be the country in charge of stopping terror?  i care about our solidiers like i care about anyone else, and when the government i pay my taxes to sends you to die for that cause, i have to question that. 

Is this the "facts" that you need us to confront?  The one I see that is true is "was first to use nukes".  Even the Emperor of Japan himself acknowledged that until they got bombed, the Japanese would have fought until the last man, drawing the Pacific war on for years.  At the time, it was the best idea with the best equipment available.  The fact that it was as horrible as it was it why it has not been used since.  
You have heard from every soldier here that they are willing to put their lives on the line for the people of Afghanistan.  Spare us your disingenuous concern.  

doncab said:

HIJACK ALERT!!  Nice try.  Figure your rhetoric is loosing steam, so you throw that out hoping that all of the dumb killbots will jump on it and forget about what is actually being debated?  Start a new thread, and then get flamed there too.

Doncab, you and kgerrard appear to be motivated individuals who seek knowlege and first hand experience.  How does this sound:  we the members of Army.ca will fill a cargo container with food and medical supplies, and you two will go with it to somewhere in the Pashtun mountain range with it.  We'll drop you off, say "see ya" and you can embark on a glorious adventure of dialoge and bridge building.  Make sure you bring a video camera so you can rub it in when you get back.  
If.  

nope. But when my tire is running fine, I don't appreciate some twit telling me I need a new one, either. Especially when I'm giving him a free ride.

Classic!!! ;D

Call me crazy but I get the impression that American actions in the past have been categorized together with all things Canadian. I will not begin to guess what the American government wants or what their political agenda is (hidden or otherwise) but as a Canadian its not for me to say.

I liken Afghanistan to a gang run neighborhood, in which the gang has reached out and threatened other neighborhoods. We all know there are attroccities going on in that "hood" and the "innocents" caught up in the violence are asking for help.

Well if the police (the Canadian military) drop off some bags of groceries and a handfull of cash in the middle of the "hood", who do you think will reap the rewards. The gangs.

So in that case, in order to ensure the "innocents" get their groceries and cash, the police(Canadian Military) would be sent into the "hood" to keep civility and to clean up the "gangs" so that when they leave, the gangs don't take over again.

If the police go in with smiles and pamphlets(peacekeeping), how do you think the "gangs" will respond to not getting free groceries and cash?

If the police go in with guns blazing(declaration of war), how would the rest of the city respond?How many innocents would die?

If you apply this scenario to Afghanistan you will see that the Canadian governments approach to its military involvement makes sense. Admittedly it will be a long drawn out process in which unfortunately lives will be lost, but every Canadian soldiers life that is lost, is given happily by that soldier with the intent of making the world a better place for all.

Hello,

I am a long time reader and first time poster. First off I'd like to say that this has been an extremely interesting thread.

Im not a big fan of Noam Chomsky but this summer I did read Hegemony or Survival and I cant help but notice that a lot of these protesters arguments come practically verbatim from that book.

Cheers

zipperhead_cop said:
Ugh.  Get over the mujaheddin.  The former USSR was trying to turn the whole world communist (which I imagine you would love) and they had to be stopped.  The only people there was to work with at the time were the local fighters.  Yes, they were trained and supplied by the US.  
actually, no they were not trained by the US. The US was terrified of having American dead caught in Afghanistan, so they would not send soldiers, even SpecOps, in there. They worked entirely through proxies, mostly (almost entirely) the Pak ISI.

The Muj didn't want training anyway. They didn't want soldiers. They tolerated the Arab Muj (with mild amusement, and some annoyance) because of the shared Faith, but absolutley did not want Kafirs assisting. (That being said, I have seen a photo of a British soldier training Muj in the emplyment of snipers, but it was supposedly taken in Pak.) This is corroborated by not only several books, but the stories told to me by Muj who were THERE. (Soldiers are the same everywhere - give 'em an audience and they will gladly tell their stories, even through an interpreter.)

The US problems in Afgh started because they blindly gave money to the ISI, trusting them to ensure that the fighters would be properly equipped.

They were wrong. The ISI had their own agenda. Firstly, they wanted to promote Islamic Fundamentalism, and therefore gave the overwhelming majority of thier funds to Gulbeddin's group of pretenders. Later, when they couldn't get Hekmatyar to actually fight the Soviets, they switched their funding to the Taliban. Secondly, the ISI wanted to ensure that Afgh would never become a threat to Pak, and wanted to extend their influence North. Which is also why they gave the US money to certain groups. And worked to whip the Northern tribes into a zealous frenzy.

Which has since turned around and bitten the entire world in the arse, but them most of all. They now have a 3 front war against Fundamentalists: in the North, in Balochistan, and in Kashmir. Ooops!

The Arab "mujehedeen' recieved their funding and "training" through private fund-raising, and from certain Arab governments - principally Saudi.

THREADJACK ALERT *** THREADJACK ALERT *** THREADJACK ALERT

paracowboy:

Have you read Stepehn Coll's The Ghost Wars:  The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and bin Laden, From the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001.

I think you would enjoy it, if you haven't already.

I have two piles of books on the Middle East, Islam in general, Arab history, and terrorism. I've gotten through 17 already, with 20 more to go. That one is about # 3 on the "To Read Yet" pile.

Sounds exceedingly familiar!!!

We should exchange bibliographies at some point.  Anything on your *already read* list that you recommend?

Well finally someone who has done some research on the region, beyond personal experience, spoke up.

PC....I'm glad to see that we read the same books. Quite a debacle when you really get into it, no?

I was going to get into the whole nuances of the area and the history of it starting back in the late 60's but got side tracked.

Excellent rebuttal.

Regards

scoutfinch said:
We should exchange bibliographies at some point.  Anything on your *already read* list that you recommend?
we'll take it pms when I get off work, to avoid hi-jacking further.

Franko said:
PC....I'm glad to see that we read the same books. Quite a debacle when you really get into it, no?
terrifying, heart-breaking, mind-boggling, and enfuriating. Quite the emotional roller-coaster.

I was going to get into the whole nuances of the area and the history of it starting back in the late 60's but got side tracked.
earlier than that, mon comrade du arms. We could say it started in the '20s and '30s with the discovery of oil.

Or we could say it started with the Crusades, as so many of the Bad Guys and their sycophants like to state.

Or we could say it started well before that, with the conquering of various Coptic Christian and Jewish enclaves by Muslim invaders.

Or...

But I really don't care where/when/who started this mess. I just want to stop it before more children die needlessly for the greed of bullies. And if that means I have to shoot terrorists, tyrants, bandits, pirates, or misguided but well-intentioned men, so be it. I will squeeze my trigger until my shoulder collapses. I will hand out Aid until my arms fall off. I will bandage the sick until I have no clothes to tear up. And I will weep until I have no tears left.

You in, brother?

paracowboy said:
I just want to stop it before more children die needlessly for the greed of bullies. And if that means I have to shoot terrorists, tyrants, bandits, pirates, or misguided but well-intentioned men, so be it. I will squeeze my trigger until my shoulder collapses. I will hand out Aid until my arms fall off. I will bandage the sick until I have no clothes to tear up. And I will weep until I have no tears left.

You in, brother?

You had me at "hello"    ;)

Already did a tour shy of 8 months....I'd go in a heart beat to make a difference, again.

The people that are protesting have no idea of why we do the things we do....and they never will, unfortunatly.

Regards

Back