• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "Why" Dress Thread split from OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

OldSolduer

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I suppose the mutiny stuff is bad but his biggest sin has to be dress and deportment.

Wearing a raincoat (when it's not even raining!) with a beret.
Randomly wearing 82 pattern webbing.
Buck model 119 knife in a sheath that's clearly not designed for the knife.

Terrible.
OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!! Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition - or the Red Queen

I suppose the mutiny stuff is bad but his biggest sin has to be dress and deportment.

Randomly wearing 82 pattern webbing.
Buck model 119 knife in a sheath that's clearly not designed for the knife.

Terrible.
Yeah, everyone knows that you’re not allowed to wear a rain jacket without a toque. Or was it the other way around? Maybe it was gloves?

In some (definitely not all) seriousness, the rain jacket is probably one of the most versatile pieces of CAF outerwear

Uh Huh Yes GIF by Dark Igloo

Has anyone ever actually discovered why this is an actual thing?
Same school of thought that thinks MWOs and CWOs should decide kit lists instead of Sgts and Capts.

I think it’s a joke that too many people didn’t get and so now everyone thinks it’s a real thing.
Sadly it's a real thing on some bases. A couple years ago in petawawa a new base CWO changed the rule to much rejoicing. Next change of command parade the rule was back on and enforced.

Because the army revels in the absurd so much that after enough years of being immersed in it, you stop realizing it's absurd. This happens at roughly the same point in one's career at which one is vested with the power to inflict absurdity.
That's very true. It is an absurdity when its + 28C and some knob MCpl/Sgt/ WO etc jacks you for having your sleeves up because its winter dress now. Common sense was there - but not where it counted.

Spend enough time drinking the cool-aid you get to become the one brewing the cool-aid.

To be fair the Navy had (has?) the same thing as well, you just don't hear about it nearly as much. I remember being told I had to throw on a heavier jacket and toque when working outside in around zero on the upper decks because I was wearing gloves.

That's very true. It is an absurdity when its + 28C and some knob MCpl/Sgt/ WO etc jacks you for having your sleeves up because its winter dress now. Common sense was there - but not where it counted.
How about when its +40 and high humidity and you're wearing arid combats (that look like a potato sack) that the sleeves are able to be rolled up and the TF-SM loses his mind when he sees you on VTC with your sleeves rolled up. I just laugh, point to my rank and the Naval Ensign on my shoulder and give him the virtual finger. The absurdity is strong in the CAF.

I went thru Cornwallis with him; he was often 'the example' for coursemates to follow; drill, kit and quarters, etc.

Where ever he is, I hope he has been able to move on in life.

Spend enough time drinking the cool-aid you get to become the one brewing the cool-aid.

To be fair the Navy had (has?) the same thing as well, you just don't hear about it nearly as much. I remember being told I had to throw on a heavier jacket and toque when working outside in around zero on the upper decks because I was wearing gloves.
My personal favourite from the RCN occurred while doing a full day closed up for RAS during RAS WUPS in the West Coast Firing Area. The dress was NCD without rain gear or weather jackets, because the people in the dump would be too warm working in them. So I stood in the wind and spray at the forward end of the bridge wing holding a course/speed board soaked to the bone and shivering...

Back