• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "Why" Dress Thread split from OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

Wearing a flight suit has become much too casual. Maybe time to return to a more formal era.

View attachment 65318
Speaking of more formal eras ... this happened in 1942, I think. My father came back to St Johns after having taken some pretty severe damage, from the elements, not the enemy. Part of the damage was that his improvised 'sea cabin' (a bunk just above the chart table) had been blown away and in it was his second uniform which, for some reason, he did not keep in his own cabin, and all his white shirts. He entered 'Newfie John' wearing his blue 'business suit' and a coloured wooden work shirt that someone had given him. As it happened then Capt (later RAdm) Harry Lay was in port visiting the Admiral (Leonard Murray) and he watched my father's ship limp in and he sent a message saying something like 'Captain report to the flag office ASP.' Now Harry Lay was a friend, something of a mentor for my father, and he was an excellent officer. I wrote an essay about his combat leadership the I was in staff college. Even though I had some 'first person' sources, the nicest things I could find about him in the Staff College's quite good library was that he was "demanding" and "acerbic." He has also a stickler for doing things in the right way and, in his opinion, the only right way to fight a war against a first-class enemy was in a clean white shirt and tie. My father reported to the HQ expecting, I suppose, to be asked about his damage ... instead he was upbraided for being less than properly dressed.

Why would Clothing Stores want your used underwear?

angry clint eastwood GIF
Because we've always done it that way. Why else?

Seriously there is a reason why the CAF has weird and wonderful dress regulations, some of which are practical and some that are archaic and should be discarded - like the "if you're wearing a jacket you MUST wear gloves."
A number of years ago we were having a company parade and it was -20. The Pl WO for one of the platoons was blasted by the CSM because his soldiers had toques on in garrison and not berets!!!!!! OH MY CHRIST its Winnipeg FFS

A number of years ago we were having a company parade and it was -20. The Pl WO for one of the platoons was blasted by the CSM because his soldiers had toques on in garrison and not berets!!!!!! OH MY CHRIST its Winnipeg FFS

Was the parade indoors or outdoors?

If indoors (i.e. inside Minto Armoury) I agree with the CSM ... I don't see any good reason to wear toques inside. It's not hard to carry your beret in a pocket and switch from toque to beret when you come indoors. You wouldn't wear your winter coat indoors.

If outdoors, then I agree with you.

Wearing a flight suit has become much too casual. Maybe time to return to a more formal era.

I can think of operational overland (IMPACT), maritime surface (CARIBBE, Projection/Neon) and sub-surface (can't name that Op on here 👀) Dets I was on that, no question, we would have been more operationally effective if we'd only been sporting ties. In fact I remember of few Flt Engr's saying "Skipper, can we tighten the dress regs up some?" on almost every Det I've been on since joining The Borg MAG.

James Corden Seriously GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

I can think of operational overland (IMPACT), maritime surface (CARIBBE, Projection/Neon) and sub-surface (can't name that Op on here 👀) Dets I was on that, no question, we would have been more operationally effective if we'd only been sporting ties. In fact I remember of few Flt Engr's saying "Skipper, can we tighten the dress regs up some?" on almost every Det I've been on since joining The Borg MAG.

James Corden Seriously GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

See what happens when you don't do up your top button?

fire may GIF

I can think of operational overland (IMPACT), maritime surface (CARIBBE, Projection/Neon) and sub-surface (can't name that Op on here 👀) Dets I was on that, no question, we would have been more operationally effective if we'd only been sporting ties.
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Got it. Model YH01 is perfect for CADPAT Arid; YH06 when you're on exchange with the Brits; YH44 for TacHel; and YH14 for the day-to-day wear of the RCAF.

Was the parade indoors or outdoors?

If indoors (i.e. inside Minto Armoury) I agree with the CSM ... I don't see any good reason to wear toques inside. It's not hard to carry your beret in a pocket and switch from toque to beret when you come indoors. You wouldn't wear your winter coat indoors.

If outdoors, then I agree with you.
Outdoors - indoors we were in berets.

A number of years ago we were having a company parade and it was -20. The Pl WO for one of the platoons was blasted by the CSM because his soldiers had toques on in garrison and not berets!!!!!!
Sorry to bang on the same drum over and over, but this is a SAFETY issue. If it's that cold, you risk frostbite to your ears. So you say "for the safety of the soldiers, we are wearing toques." Call in whoever is responsible for safety (who is that?). End of story. I don't understand how obvious safety hazards don't get promptly addressed. Where I work, you get fired for ignoring safety hazards and for not addressing safety hazards identified by workers. There are laws about this and failure to comply with the law will may result in fines for the company: no one wants that kind of bad press.

You can read any newspaper and there is often a story about some workplace being fined for non-compliance with safety regulations (related to working at heights, working in excavations, confined space entry, etc.). I don't see a failure to assure adequate clothing/consideration for the weather as any different. Based on my understanding of the rules, what the CSM did in this instance was not only wrong but also illegal.

Wasn't there a regiment in Pet that had to endex early a couple years back because too many people failed to bring appropriate winter kit ? RCDs, was that you ?
This is the reason that the Regimental Sergeant Major in consultation with his Company Sergeants Major publish a kit list for exercise/operations.
This is the reason Commanding Officers direct their Company Commanders to inspect their soldiers kit.
This is the reason PL WOs, Section Commanders and their 2 I/Cs are such knobs. I know cause I were one at one time. If a soldier goes down because of lack of proper kit and he/she has been issued it - then its on the Section Commander and up for not inspecting. If the kit was inspected and all good to go and he/she neglected to bring it then its on them.

Aircrew Aviation Life Support Equipment - so helmets, O2 masks, etc.

Unless something has recently changed, as much pertains to passengers as well as crew - like aircraft survival kits and life rafts.

Someone's hunting wabbits.

You were spared the indignity of the old green work dress winter baseball caps with black fur fold-up ear flaps.

Too many - one is too many - students on my PFT in Portage in January 1979 wore those fashion horrors.

You were spared the indignity of the old green work dress winter baseball caps with black fur fold-up ear flaps.

Too many - one is too many - students on my PFT in Portage in January 1979 wore those fashion horrors.
I tried to find a picture of the damn things but it seems that none of us at the time allowed anyone else to take a photo of us wearing them.

🤦‍♂️

I tried to find a picture of the damn things but it seems that none of us at the time allowed anyone else to take a photo of us wearing them.

🤦‍♂️
They were horrendous. Whoever thought that one up had to have had a laugh thinking "Damn they actually bought these".

Back