• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A "Why" Dress Thread split from OCdt Speaks at Freedom Rally

Is...is that a Private in the pic I linked to above? Wait...no...it's.....omg. An Officer, not setting a positive example!!

Smoking in uniform is prohibited....why are there smoke pits all over bases then?

IF the CAF isn't going to actually enforce these rules...drop them ffs.
Just to be clear, smoking in uniform is not prohibited. Just smoking on the street.

More likely a wannabe pilot, who wanted to not talk with his hands. :p

Full disclosure: I, as both an NCM and an Officer, stuck my hands in my pockets.

Full disclosure: I, as both an NCM, and an Officer, smoked.

Full disclosure: I, as both an NCM, and an Officer, chewed gum.

Fire mission, my grid, over.
1623155337057.png

Want to stop aircrew from putting hands in pockets? Issue American-style flight suits (no hip pockets). The fact that they fit better is a bonus.

Did the person get promoted? What effect did having hands in the pockets have on the task at hand? Perhaps it doesn’t look good but it is besides the point of my question.

Did the person get promoted? What effect did having hands in the pockets have on the task at hand? Perhaps it doesn’t look good but it is besides the point of my question.
I also think it's a weird angle and the LCol wasn't expecting to be photographed. I'm not a photographer but probably he was expecting the camera to be focused on the promotee and the person putting the rank slip on them, not him.

Why PA (or whoever) chose that picture is beyond me though.

Why PA (or whoever) chose that picture is beyond me though.

That is part of the problem, and it's becoming common on CAF social media feeds (CAF Ops, RCN, RCAF...) to see CAF mbr's not following regs...and its becoming more obvious that leadership isn't doing their jobs enforcing things. The PAO and civies who are putting pics up on these feeds are in need of some 'supervision'.

The other part of the problem is people being people, and not following rules.

I say, either relax the dress regs and amend the applic pubs...or enforce the rules as they are written.

get your hands out of you pockets *insert rank/name/ are your hands cold?

It depends....do I know the person? Is it a recruit course? etc

I've stopped people in the parking lot, coming in/out of buildings, etc for dress...deportment...not saluting Officers...all the things the CAF expects of me to enforce. It's part of what I'm paid for...but I also use some common sense.

If we start charging people for minor infractions, or throwing RMs at them....well I can't imagine that so I won't try to.

get your hands out of you pockets *insert rank/name/ are your hands cold?

It depends....do I know the person? Is it a recruit course? etc

I've stopped people in the parking lot, coming in/out of buildings, etc for dress...deportment...not saluting Officers...all the things the CAF expects of me to enforce. It's part of what I'm paid for...but I also use some common sense.

If we start charging people for minor infractions, or throwing RMs at them....well I can't imagine that so I won't try to.
What tells you the individual in the picture wasn't reminded after the fact?

Isn't it possible the person he was looking towards just asked him to get the next promotion rank insignia ready?

#outrageculture

Here's the bigger issue, though. There are ways we do things in the CAF; but the rules don't get enforced equally. A Maj with his hands in his pockets should be the same as a Pte doing it.

If it's 'the way it is', follow the policy. Set a good example for your subs, enforce things as needed.

If "no hands in pockets" is a stupid rule...remove it from 265 so it's not just Cpl/Ptes and OCdts/2Lts getting yammered at for breaking them...

The public may not know the ins and outs of the dress regulations, so minor infractions likely go unnoticed.

But looking at the SIZE of some people waddling around in uniform, it makes them think that fitness standards are not being very well maintained.

But looking at the SIZE of some people waddling around in uniform, it makes them think that fitness standards are not being very well maintained.
Has the situation improved, gotten worse or remained the same over the last 16 years?

16 pages.

Here's the bigger issue, though. There are ways we do things in the CAF; but the rules don't get enforced equally. A Maj with his hands in his pockets should be the same as a Pte doing it.

If it's 'the way it is', follow the policy. Set a good example for your subs, enforce things as needed.

If "no hands in pockets" is a stupid rule...remove it from 265 so it's not just Cpl/Ptes and OCdts/2Lts getting yammered at for breaking them...
I think it goes to picking your battles. We do not have the collective capacity to deal with every single infraction from the rule books. I'd say we have bigger fishes to fry than hands in the pocket...

I think it goes to picking your battles. We do not have the collective capacity to deal with every single infraction from the rule books. I'd say we have bigger fishes to fry than hands in the pocket...

Maybe. But...the QR & O doesn't give leaders that option (turn a blind eye) really, does it? For mbrs of your rank, you rely a lot on guys like me to do the policing and day-to-day stuff like this.

In some CAF units, you'll find the mbr who can't dress right, and follow simple instructions, and always have their kit squared away, is also going to be the person who makes you nervous on a range with live fire and movement.

Or, to not recognize the CRIT sys alert that requires the RADAR to be powered off and specific CBs pulled, before a fire starts in the radome....

To me, it's not the question of 'if hands in pockets are right/wrong' (my job is to support my CofC and set positive examples and enforce...)...I take it more of the "lack of self-discipline/attention to detail" part.

THAT...I care about.

Back