• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Active Shooter In NS. April 19 2020

And there is probably one bird active for the entire East Coast.

"Sorry Mr Prime Minister, Hibernia is on fire and there are a bucket load of trapped workers but our one bird was busy helping the Province with a Law Enforcement Activity that isn't even our mandate"

It's not the JRCC's job to cover for Provincial or Federal Law Enforcement deficiencies.

There are more than Corms and Hercs in the Martimes, though. 405, 423 and 403 are all “close”.

In Winnipeg, the city police has its own helicopter. A fantastic asset that helps in ways other departments could only dream of. I don’t know how many lives it’s saved just in being able to call off pursuits. Yet there are many on council and always at least one “progressive” mayoral candidate that wants to get rid of the helicopter for reasons.

View attachment 75312
Law enforcement aviation in Canada, and in Ontario in particular, isn't like the US and I suspect the perception of many is influenced by TV. There are only a handful of municipal services that have air support units. This doesn't include Toronto but they can get help from the shared York/Durham helicopter and the OPP if a machine is in the area. So that's one machine dedicated to the GTA - about 6 million population. Contrast that with LA County. About 10 million people with, between LA city and county fire and police (I didn't check other incorporated cities in the county) over 40 helicopters.

Law enforcement aviation in Canada, and in Ontario in particular, isn't like the US and I suspect the perception of many is influenced by TV. There are only a handful of municipal services that have air support units. This doesn't include Toronto but they can get help from the shared York/Durham helicopter and the OPP if a machine is in the area. So that's one machine dedicated to the GTA - about 6 million population. Contrast that with LA County. About 10 million people with, between LA city and county fire and police (I didn't check other incorporated cities in the county) over 40 helicopters.
TPS doesn’t have a helicopter? WTF?

TPS doesn’t have a helicopter?

Do not believe Montreal or Vancouver do either.

I think Toronto police have always had fixed wing.

Evaluation of the Air Support Unit Pilot Project (Toronto Police Services)​

The book is available at the library, if interested.

I wonder if lasers were discussed,

RICHMOND HILL, Ont. -- Police have charged a 16-year-old after a laser pointer was aimed at a police helicopter north of Toronto.

A 22-year-old Toronto man is facing charges after police say someone targeted a police helicopter with a laser pointer, sending both officers to hospital.

From what I recall of some Toronto neighbourhoods - especially ones TPS might want to keep under helicopter surveilance - lasers would be possibly something to consider while hovering over them.

The TPS helicopter ( or lack of one ) has been discussed on here many times.

Think I will visit the library and read the book.

Nope. Access to surrounding areas choppers and opp and rcmp on contracting basis. Super weird
Certainly no contract with the OPP and I'd be surprised there would be one with the other agencies. The OPP has two rotaries and two fixed wings for ~1Mn sq km so the odds of just happening to be in the Toronto area are generally thin. Planned joint forces operations and initiatives for sure; otherwise, as available if available.

Right. On a per use contracted basis not that a contract for shared service exists.

Unless things have changed since I left (which is quite a while ago), I doubt it. Having an individual detachment commander who just happens to be next door to a military base with 'special access' makes little sense. If Killaloe or Lanark are the ones in need, it would make little sense that they be left out or have to go through another detachment. There are protocols for requesting CAF either via the regional of GHQ duty officer and, as far as I know, there are standing agreements. Trenton SAR has often been requested to assist in inland search and rescue incidents. I also recall a few years ago where SAR plucked a worker off a crane which was over a building on fire (City of Kingston?). Maybe it just a matter of sorting things out beforehand - planning.
Killaloe as of last summer can still get a 427 Bird pretty quick.
*no it’s wasn’t me they where looking for.

But there was a Griffon out around 20min around Round Lake after some shots fired, and based on previous experience it’s around a 10min flight once the bird is aloft.

Do not believe Montreal or Vancouver do either.
It's crazy that cities those sizes don't have at least one rotary wing asset, especially given they all have waterfront on major bodies of water.

Meanwhile Edmonton and Calgary both have 2. And both assist with SAR in/around the immediate vicinity of both cities.

It's crazy that cities those sizes don't have at least one rotary wing asset, especially given they all have waterfront on major bodies of water.

Meanwhile Edmonton and Calgary both have 2. And both assist with SAR in/around the immediate vicinity of both cities.
Winnipeg has one too, they get questioned a lot, due to the expense, so they’re sure to pump the press whenever they do something useful.

Winnipeg has one too, they get questioned a lot, due to the expense, so they’re sure to pump the press whenever they do something useful.

Probably the same types who question Toronto police horses.

Probably the same types who question Toronto police horses.

Did you know Toronto had horse ambulances?

Anytime they crashed they would say "I’ve fallen and I can’t giddyup!"

Right. On a per use contracted basis not that a contract for shared service exists.
Not even that. It's considered a 'provincial service'. There are certain services that aren't charged back, regardless of whether the municipality is policed by the OPP under contract or has its own PS. Otherwise, a major search or investigation could bankrupt some municipalities.
But can the Horse fly?
No but horse flies can, and both can bite.

Her: 'Have you see the dog bowl?"
Me: 'I didn't know he could."

(I'll see myself out . . . )

Grrr…they whined about it and had a chunk of green Griffon’s inventory of turrets transferred to yellow many years back…I was the OpsO of a unit that shipped three of our FLIRs onwards to yellow units. If they’re not using them now, that organization need a slap upside the head… 😠
Every lb you add you need to subtract a lb of fuel, apparently these are not useful often enough to justify subtracting the fuel weight all of the time. They’re available but not normally installed.

Every lb you add you need to subtract a lb of fuel, apparently these are not useful often enough to justify subtracting the fuel weight all of the time. They’re available but not normally installed.
That’s pretty FUBAR logic.
I suspect that folks don’t have enough (any?) experience with the system if they are making that mistake.

An MX-15 on a CH-146 is worth 6-8 minutes of fuel. I wasn’t a SAR guy, but I question the balance between 6-8 minutes of flight time against having a sensor that has a good chance of detecting what/who one is looking for. YMMV, of course.

T
An MX-15 on a CH-146 is worth 6-8 minutes of fuel. I wasn’t a SAR guy, but I question the balance between 6-8 minutes of flight time against having a sensor that has a good chance of detecting what/who one is looking for. YMMV, of course.

I mentioned earlier; SAR is just starting to learn about sensor-assisted SAR.

Fun fact; IR is still useful in daytime when correlated with other EO feeds and the Mk1 eyeball. Cameras like EON don’t see into shadows, etc like IR.

I’d trade that small amount of ONSTA time for a ‘15.

Back