• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......

clownfool said:
@BinRat55 I'm sorry that my comment was jumping to conclusions. Ill remember that for next time i relate my assessment to someone else's.

No problems and welcome to Army.ca!

clownfool said:
@BinRat55 I'm sorry that my comment was jumping to conclusions. Ill remember that for next time i relate my assessment to someone else's.

clownfool, people "swimming in other people's lanes" is by no means just limited to junior/aspiring CAF members, however, it is something to try and stay away from if you can help it.  Bad habits grow into bigger bad habits as time goes on.  ;)

Regards
G2G

Rofltropter said:
The problem I am having is not that I was diagnosed, but that I still pick up medication but I just don't take it, and I don't know if that will kill my chances of passing medical
also question is what have you been doing with the meds?
ADHD meds aren't cheap and pretty sure almost all if not all of those meds are controlled substances in Canada and US

Hi, I'm just wondering if an individual who is on prescribed adhd medicine, adderall specifically is able to join the forces. I have used it in school but have been off it since april. I can function without it but it allows me to stay focused. Please any guidance will be appreciated. Thanks.

Please search this site for answers to your questions. They have been previously answered.

Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding here for reference,

"I'm just wondering if an individual who is on prescribed adhd medicine, adderall specifically is able to join the forces."
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123155/post-1437273/topicseen.html#new

Good Day,

During the application process, the recruiting medical personnel will assess your unique medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for teh Forces. At this time, the Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude you from joining. This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medical questions you should contact the recruiting detachment nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly.

Best Regards,
Sgt Laen

Welcome to Army.ca, martiniyahen

Please read through http://army.ca/forums/threads/22352.0.html. I will merge this thread with that one soon.

There is a ton of information already on this Site. Spend some time exploring before asking questions, as most questions have been asked and answered already - sometimes repeatedly. By doing this, you'll likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

Hey guys.  I'm about to go do my medical soon.  I have read the forums extensively and believe my situation is a bit different regarding adhd medication. 

I've never been diagnosed with adhd or add before.  My doctor has given me the medication though. I should mention that I I never took any medication as a child or in high school.  I lied about the symptoms so I could get the medication (adderall) . Yeah yeah I know... Stupid. I have just finished university and received my degree and now that I've been hearing about this add medication stuff and being denied, I'm kind of upset and mad at myself.  I only ever used it to study.  I didn't even like taking it otherwise, it made me uncomfortable. Once again, I know I'm an idiot.

I've decided I'm going to be honest with the medical staff about it.  I also have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday and I'm going to admit I lied and see if that helps me.

Can anyone say anything about my situation?  Am I screwed?  Can I get stuff removed or changed on my medical record? Any one have any tips or opinions? Sorry for the poor grammar, I'm on a phone.

J Gard said:
Hey guys.  I'm about to go do my medical soon.  I have read the forums extensively and believe my situation is a bit different regarding adhd medication. 

I've never been diagnosed with adhd or add before.  My doctor has given me the medication though. I should mention that I I never took any medication as a child or in high school.  I lied about the symptoms so I could get the medication (adderall) . Yeah yeah I know... Stupid. I have just finished university and received my degree and now that I've been hearing about this add medication stuff and being denied, I'm kind of upset and mad at myself.  I only ever used it to study.  I didn't even like taking it otherwise, it made me uncomfortable. Once again, I know I'm an idiot.

I've decided I'm going to be honest with the medical staff about it.  I also have an appointment with my family doctor on Thursday and I'm going to admit I lied and see if that helps me.

Can anyone say anything about my situation?  Am I screwed?  Can I get stuff removed or changed on my medical record? Any one have any tips or opinions? Sorry for the poor grammar, I'm on a phone.

You probably already had your medical but I had mine June 6th, I have ADHD and when I was a child, I was given med's but I haven't been on them since I was 8...they saw that I had a job and was doing fine, the SGT said he has to put me unfit and my medical would be sent to Ottawa, it would be Ottawas choice to make me fit or not and a few weeks later they declared me fit. Just got to be honest with them, but the guys doing my medical were super nice.  [:D good luck!!  :salute:

TabascoOyster said:
Finally, my question; How will this affect my current application to become a Medical Assistant (i'm pursuing medicine in regards to academics)? Will I automatically be checked off as unfit for service and sent to Ottawa for further evaluation?

Thanks to everyone for their time and feedback!!  :salute: [:)

The only people who can give you the correct answer to that are the fine folks at the Recruiting Centre.  Give them a call/email.

What are the Canadian forces rules and regulations on Applicants with ADHD?

I'm sure there's a wealth of information on that subject lurking under the search button.

FinnO25 said:
nothing came up when i searched..

Forgive me then, I would not have pointed you in that direction had I known.

FinnO25 said:
nothing came up when i searched...

It's even stickied at the top of its sub-forum to make it even easier to find.

Most of the commonly-sought topics are similarly stickied.

ModlrMike said:
Forgive me then, I would not have pointed you in that direction had I known.

:rofl:  and then...    :facepalm:

There is so much that people need to learn about ADHD and meds. The discussion here is a bit of a mess. Here are some clarifications.
[list type=decimal]
[*]ADHD meds don't necessarily change behavior in a functionally-relevant way. I take ADHD meds sometimes before I teach because it makes teaching easier. I taught for 10 years without the meds, however, and never had any issues. Similarly, I can wear ankle braces when running. It makes running easier but I can run fine without them. The braces just make my muscle and tendon endurance virtually endless.

[*]ADHD meds can make you better but your average can still be much better than the average of the general population. 
[*]Discriminating on the basis of having been diagnosed is absurd. Most people don't get diagnosed at all and never have the help of a therapist in learning coping mechanisms. For this reason, someone who has been diagnosed and treated is in a better position than someone who has not

[*]As a higher education instructor of 20 years, it is my experience that students with learning 'dosabilities' like ADHD tend to be better at many tasks, like thinking on one's feet, ability to process many diverse stimuli at once, speed and on-the-spot creativity for problem solving. These are desirable traits even in a military environment.

[/list]
Hence it is spurious to reject applicants on the basis of an ADHD diagnosis.

Fortunately we have actual medical doctors that make the determination that an ADHD diagnosis can preclude someone from serving. Despite your experience as a "higher education instructor", I'd rather trust a qualified medical doctor telling me who can and cannot serve in the CAF. I'd suggest you read up on our medical category system before you make grandiose pronouncements that we have it all wrong. Your experience also gives you 0 ability to decide what a military environment even is, let alone who can serve successfully in it.

Back