• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......

mariomike said:
ADHD, ADD, and why we can't get in rants......
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/68596.0

Ahh yes, the army.ca search function personified: mariomike.

Thanks for helping yet another, Mike. Cheers.

shadesofgreen said:
Near the end of my last year of high school (2012) I was diagnosed with ADHD by a psychologist and then went to see my doctor about it to get meds because the psychologist told me I should. She never wrote any official diagnostic on paper. So she just called the doctor to tell him about it. I was prescribed Biphentin. Took it for about 3 months max and haven't take them for over an year. I had originally went to see the psychologist just because I didn't have a lot of motivation for school at the time and was confused on what to do with my life and stuff (should of seen a counsellor instead..) and she ended up suggesting that I take a test to see if I have ADHD. I'm pretty sure I don't actually have it because I don't have most of symptoms. And If I have to be really focused or concentrated on something, I can do so just fine.
Anyways I had stopped taking the meds because I didn't like the side effect and I didn't really see the point in me taking them. I've always done decent in school (didn't need any medication for that) and got accepted to college and all.

I applied on november 20th and did my CFAT (passed) on december 11th.

Will this affect my chances at getting into the army?

As long as you're off them and everything else is relatively competitive (Your grades, experience, education, etc etc are on par with other applicants) it shouldn't have any affect on your application.

RectorCR said:
As long as you're off them and everything else is relatively competitive (Your grades, experience, education, etc etc are on par with other applicants) it shouldn't have any affect on your application.

Unless you are a RMO, I don't think you should be telling the OP how their medical history may or may not effect their application. I also highly doubt that determining an applicant's medical fitness has much, if anything, to do with their grades, experience and education.

Shadesofgreen, read through the thread MM posted above, I'm sure you can find some useful info!

flatlander13 said:
Unless you are a RMO, I don't think you should be telling the OP how their medical history may or may not effect their application. I also highly doubt that determining an applicant's medical fitness has much, if anything, to do with their grades, experience and education.

Shadesofgreen, read through the thread MM posted above, I'm sure you can find some useful info!

It's called personal experience...I was diagonized with ADHD a few years ago, was on the same drug and went through the exact same process. You don't think something like ADHD would affect someone's grades, work history, relationships, etc? That's literally the criteria for being diagnosed.

RectorCR said:
It's called personal experience...I was diagonized with ADHD a few years ago, was on the same drug and went through the exact same process. You don't think something like ADHD would affect someone's grades, work history, relationships, etc? That's literally the criteria for being diagnosed.
'

Your personal experience is irrelevant.  You are not in any way shape or form part of the CAF Medical recruiting team, nor do you have a full medical history from the OP.  I guess you missed/glossed over this post http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/112199.0.html it's in this subforum it's stickied fourth from the top.  Para 3 is applicable to you.

RectorCR said:
It's called personal experience...I was diagonized with ADHD a few years ago, was on the same drug and went through the exact same process. Blah, blah, blah.....

You are not an MO in the CAF.

The Army.ca Staff

I never took ritalin or did any drugs in my life. Should I be fine for getting in? I had my medical and aptitude test today (applied December and heard back in February). Also, just as a sidenote having V2 vision seems to be fine. Everything else was in order for my medical.

Start by proving you can pay close attention:

Search, read, understand. That's for the site.

Beyond that, no one can really tell you but a recruiter and the med staff. Simple.

So.. I'm screwed because I have ADHD?  I am on medication so I can be the person that 'society' wants me to be. Honestly, this sucks, it's not like I chose who to be, I was given that, and now I have to deal with it.  Meds are given to me daily, and I get yelled at if I don't take them, because I talk to people more than usual. But when I'm on my meds, I usually just stick to myself, not talking, even if spoken to. It's like I'm 'too focused'  But, I'm thinking of stepping out of my perfect world, and into the real world. I might gradually stop taking my meds until I don't actually need them to function alongside society.

EpicWindz said:
So.. I'm screwed because I have ADHD?  I am on medication so I can be the person that 'society' wants me to be. Honestly, this sucks, it's not like I chose who to be, I was given that, and now I have to deal with it.  Meds are given to me daily, and I get yelled at if I don't take them, because I talk to people more than usual. But when I'm on my meds, I usually just stick to myself, not talking, even if spoken to. It's like I'm 'too focused'  But, I'm thinking of stepping out of my perfect world, and into the real world. I might gradually stop taking my meds until I don't actually need them to function alongside society.

To be politely blunt, yes you are.  The CAF has decided to draw a line with what's acceptable for people to have and still be able to work for them and what isn't - you fall into what's considered unacceptable to be employed by them at this time.  They don't owe you a job.

MM 

medicineman said:
To be politely blunt, yes you are.  The CAF has decided to draw a line with what's acceptable for people to have and still be able to work for them and what isn't - you fall into what's considered unacceptable to be employed by them at this time.  They don't owe you a job.

MM

Dang that's brutal.

I have ADD and the Doc at the recruit office said I'm fine as long i can stand 6 month without med, however i am not even on med anyway. And 3 days ago i have tried a "Student pilot" program, to pilot a cessna 172 for the first time with an instructor that is only there to fix my error i could make, my instructor though that i would struggle with my ADD, but actually, he said i was one of the best for a first timer.

I'm brutal simply because in our society, saying what people need to hear is frowned upon and it's obvious nobody has told him what he needs to hear, but what he wants to hear.  He's on meds at this time and you're apparently coping/doing well without them.  I've seen a lot of folks that were allowed in with them many moons ago that, despite the meds, had issues with their impulsivity, lack of attention and because Mommy wasn't there to make sure they got them, they often didn't take their pills, making life worse for everyone.  I've also run into several where it was apparent they needed them, due to how their lives and work were going.  Depends on whether they're coping or not and proving that they are.

MM 

Edit for hypocaffeinic grammatical error.

Yeah i understand.

EpicWindz, when was the last time you stopped the meds for good? (If you ever did)

alx12345 said:
Dang that's brutal.

If you think that that's brutal, you should see some of the real-life situations in which some CF members occasionally find themselves.

Failure to perform appropriately in those situations can lead to death, injury, loss of valuable equipment, mission failure, or any combination thereof.

That is what drives our medical standards.

They, and all of our standards, exist for valid reasons.

Yes i know, but having ADD/ADHD doesn't automatically mean to be rejected by society, whe dint know but, maybe the guy will be just fine without the meds.

There is a reason we don't give much in the way of definite answers regarding many medical issues and Recruiting - we only get the part of the story the person wishes to share with us.  Listening to how he went off, I have little doubt there may be something else going on we don't know about.  Nowhere anywhere did anyone mention being rejected by society except for the dude/ette that started this little thing here - being rejected medically by the CAF doesn't mean rejection by society -  that's actually a pretty huge jump that at best shows some issues with entitlement, bratty behaviour that's been otherwise rewarded or a total lack of maturity (or all of the above).  These are problems that don't go well with military service.  Irritability in that regard is also an ADD/ADHD trait, that if not reined in well, also gets people in a lot of trouble in the Forces...and it can also be a trait of other more sinister problems, which is why I think there might be a bit more than meets the eye here IMHO.

MM

I'm going to tell you a bit about my self as it relates to my question,

I wanted to be in the Canadian Forces since I was about 5 years old. Picking up books, and watching war documentaries filled most of my childhood days. I learned,  and still learning as much military history and strategies as humanly possible(at least during the days when I am not flooded by math and biology homework  ;D ) I even read Sun Tzu's Art of War!  :) So as soon as I turned 12 I joined the Royal Canadian Army Cadets (2853 RCAC/69th Battery, 56th Field Artillery Regiment) Progressing through the ranks and attending as many CSTC's as possible I eventually landed to where I am now; A Warrant Officer, 17 years old, and in grade 12(also received top silver star, and top gold star in my corps) So as many of my friends are applying to university, I want to join the army :) I also have some pretty good marks too! (92% in University grade 12 English, 88% in 12U Biology, and 76% in 12U Advanced Functions) I took University level classes so that I can leave some doors open down the road. My dream is to join the Canadian Infantry, then go to University and take Criminology, and from there I want become a Police Officer! But I'm very open minded about making a career in the Army as it is my passion to help and protect people.

So just the other night I was talking to my old MWO in Cadets(He wanted to join the Infantry too) When I asked him how it went, a look of disappointment appeared. He said that he has very severe ADHD and if he does not take his meds then he gets very angry and lashes out at people. So I was not surprised to see that the recruiter turned him down as he could be a compromise to his team and to his mission.

But that's what brings me here today, When I was in grade 9 the teachers made a comment that I should stay more focused and not talk to my friends as much(It was Geography and I had a 97% in that class)  ::) Well my parents took me to a pediatrician and eventually they put me on some very mild ADHD meds(my teachers didn't even think I had ADHD) Well the dosage was 20mg and Ive been taking them for two years. In my honest opinion I do not believe I have ADHD but the meds give me an edge over my classmates, and to clarify the reason why I think that I don't have ADHD is because of the fact that I was able to get high marks without the meds, and I have no outbursts of anger, I don't lash out at people, I was quite popular before I took the meds, and still am even on the meds. I think I was just an average teenage kid. BUT Ive read that being on ADHD meds will disqualify me from joining the Infantry, so if I can get a note from my pediatrician saying that I am off my meds and no longer need to continue taking them, will it allow me to join the Infantry?As I truly do not need to be on them.

If you have any suggestions please tell me as it would be appreciated greatly  ;D Or any comments or personal experiences in situations like mine,

Thank you kindly :)

I suggest you use the search function. This subject has been discussed in depth.

In November of 2013, I sent my application for the CF. I did my aptitude test and my medical that following winter. Unfortunatly I got my ''rejection'' letter last summer. The reason for my rejection was because of an evaluation made by a psychologist a few years prior. She diagnosed me with ADHD and recommended therapy and medication.

The letter also stated that If I disagreed with the decision, I could submit new informatio/paperwork. Back then I did not have a doctor and had never had a follow-up about the ADHD with anyone. So I had nobody to fill in the paperwork they gave me at the medical. I ended up having to send them that old evaluation instead.

I now have a doctor that I regularly see and I want to ask him If I can get re-evaluated. I am pretty confident that if I had the opportunity to be evaluated again, I would not have this diagnostic.

The reason is that (I will for sure get many negative comments for that and I probably deserve it), At the time of the evaluation, years ago, I....''exagerated'' the symptoms. I was a stupid kid and I thought that ADHD meds would help me study better. I regret this very much. I would never do something like that today and I know this is gonna get a lot of ''you don't belong in the military'' comments. But it was a stupid mistake, it happened a long time ago and I seriously wish I could go back and not do that. Talking about this won't really help my case but I still wanted to be honest about it.

My questions are:
1) Is it too late to send new paperwork (with a second evaluation)? Will my file be closed? Basically, do I have to go through all the procces again and re-apply?
2) How likely is it that a new evaluation will change their decision? Is it only good if the new evaluation is done by the same person?

Back