• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice about my first posting. [Merged]

MasterInstructor

Inactive
Reaction score
I am few weeks away from graduation... I haven't received any official information about my posting just yet but I have been told it will be most likely Esquimalt and I most likely wont start my QL3 for 8 months... With the course I am looking at almost 16 months in Esquimalt. I am common law and my partner is in Vancouver. She will be moving to Victoria regardless if its paid by CF or not.

What are chances of CF covering costs? I could not find any information or maybe I just do not understand how postings work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you do go to Esquimalt, then that is not really your "posting", it is the base at which you will do your Trade Training.  Once you are trade qualified, the base you get sent to is your true posting. 

As for the CF covering different expenses, there are lots of threads you can search here on that topic.

Good luck.

Thanks MedKAWD

I found lots of info about specific costs etc. I am just concerned if costs will be covered in general. From your post, I get that answer is no.

cheers

From my understanding, if she is a military recognized common law partner, the military will pay for her move as well as yours.  :nod:

Key word there, recognized, so as I think you said, the military knows about it.

Look harder.  For some course postings, if they are long enough, the CF may authorize a move.  And I'm sure that's been asked here several times.  Try searching for "PMQ + Borden" as that seems to be the most common.

Yes, the common-law status must be recognized by the CF.

PMedMoe said:
if they are long enough, the CF may authorize a move.

Mhmm thats what I thought.  I thought it was 6 months for some reason but I could be misremembering.  Sixteen months sounds like quite a long time.

I thought it had to be over six months, but I don't want to give out potentially misleading info.

MedKAWD said:
If you do go to Esquimalt, then that is not really your "posting", it is the base at which you will do your Trade Training.  Once you are trade qualified, the base you get sent to is your true posting. 

As for the CF covering different expenses, there are lots of threads you can search here on that topic.

Good luck.

Not quite true.  As an example, my buddy OTd to ATIS Tech and was posted to Kingston for his POET and QL3 course, and his family moved up as a cost move.  After his QL he was posted to Greenwood and it was in fact his 2nd posting in the trade.

That is not to say this is always the case, just to say it is *sometimes* the case.  Normally, if you are going away for duty reasons longer than 364 days, you are entitled to a cost move IAW whatever the current IRP guidelines are.  You can't be Att Posted for more than 364 days, if its longer its a posting.

To the OP, I would guess you won't find out much until you arrive is Esq and have a friendly talk with the clerks in your OR/Regulating Office/whatever unit administers you.

Eye In The Sky said:
Not quite true.  As an example, my buddy OTd to ATIS Tech and was posted to Kingston for his POET and QL3 course, and his family moved up as a cost move.  After his QL he was posted to Greenwood and it was in fact his 2nd posting in the trade.

Hmm thats pretty cool for him.  And now that you mention it, it makes sense;  the guys who were waiting for their POET course in Borden back when I was there last year, all seamed to love it cause technically their posting was Kingston, but they had sent them all to wait in Borden.  So they were all Attach Posted and loving the extra coin.  ;) 

Yes, most of them are posted to Kingston, who then attach posts them to Borden until they are course loaded.  His wife/kids followed him up when he started POET, and by that time he had his PMQ arranged, etc.  Married mbr's were allowed to live on the economy on POET, single mbrs had to live-in.

Hi All

Thanks a lot for he posts, looks like there is a chance... I am not getting my hopes up but I heard that 6 month rule here at CFLRS as well, I hope it is true. I will have my meeting with the career manager/counselor in 2 weeks, I am sure I will get official information at that time. I will be posting an update.

Thanks!

MasterInstructor said:
Hi All

Thanks a lot for he posts, looks like there is a chance... I am not getting my hopes up but I heard that 6 month rule here at CFLRS as well, I hope it is true. I will have my meeting with the career manager/counselor in 2 weeks, I am sure I will get official information at that time. I will be posting an update.

Thanks!

What 6 month rule?

Eye In The Sky said:
What 6 month rule?

If a posting is over 6 months, a move of DHG&E might be authorized?  I'm just guessing, of course.    ;D

MasterInstructor said:
Forgot to mention, she is an official common law, I do get separation pay and PLD...

Well, that's one hurdle cleared, then.  ;)

PMedMoe said:
If a posting is over 6 months, a move of DHG&E might be authorized?  I'm just guessing, of course.    ;D

Yes, that 6 month "rule" or lets say guide....

PMedMoe said:

I don't think you get "posted" for anything under 364 days.  Its usually TD, or attach posted, or restricted posted (no move of D, or HG & E) at crown expense is my understanding but...I don't have a ref to back that up.  IIRC its in the DCBA Aide Memoire though.

I'd bet $100 no one will get a posting for 6 months with a move of D, HG & E though.

Notice, I said over six months, but it could be a year.  And yes, when they leave BMQ, they will be posted.  Where would they be attached posted from?  When I went to Borden for my QL3 course, I was posted.  It was a restricted posting, but still a posting, not TD or attached posting.  If the OP is correct in that he will be there for 16 months, a move might be authorized.
Unfortunately, it's not in the Aide Memoire, I looked for it.  All that covers is dependents.

It might be in this FY IRP booklet...but I am NOT venturing there!

I think the way "we" use words/slang is why we mean the same thing basically.

- posted
- posted (with restrictions)
- attach posted
- TD'd.

;D

Eye In The Sky said:
It might be in this FY IRP booklet...but I am NOT venturing there!

Me neither!  I didn't even look at mine as not much applies to IR (or coming off IR  ;D) postings.

Eye In The Sky said:
I think the way "we" use words/slang is why we mean the same thing basically.

- posted
- posted (with restrictions)
- attach posted
- TD'd.

;D

True, but there are different meanings (and benefits) with each one.  Don't want to confuse anyone!  ;)

No, which is why I say they won't likely get a "posting" for a 6 month course.  Posting to me means you are posted, moving lock, stock and barrel from Location A to Location B, as full cost move of D, HG & E.  I'd say that is a generally accepted meaning of "posting" in the mob.

;D

Back