• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

greymatter, good luck on the rests of your testing, an in your reserve career

cheers

a site is a losation. as in the FIBUA site. a SIGHT is what you look through when aiming at your enemy. edumacation is a wonderfull thing eh.

haha, k, I just caught the error, I just copied an pasted the line, never notiched the "site" instead of "sight"

I was going to join the Seaforth Highlanders but it was very far for me to go all the time. I put in my application from Westminter. I have my medical may 14th. Do you think I will make it to basic?

well i don‘t know for sure, but the person i talked to said i should make it if all goes well and im just writing my cfat on tues, so i‘d think you would.

I‘m applying for seaforth as well, I‘ve got my CFAT and medical on wed. Any chances of making it in for the summer? just out of curiosity when does seaforth stand down for the summer?

greymatter/spenco, your chances of making it onto this summers BMQ/SQ is pretty low

as for the seaforth stand down, I‘m going to assume its the same for my unit, so May 20

alright thanks...thats pretty much what i figured regarding the summer bmq.

1 more thing... after my interview and all that is done I wont hear anything regarding my application until seaforth resumes training in sept correct?

If you make it into the unit after stand down (which is May 20 as far as I know), but in enough time to get you on a BMQ course, then you will probably get brought in and kitted out so that you can go on your course. If you can‘t make it on your course, then you will show up for stand to in Septemper.

Whats the cut off date for the BMQ/SQ course? I thought it would have been before the stand down. I know a few people that got sworn in an kitted out after down down an they couldent go on the course, either because the course was full, or they missed the cutoff date to request to go on course.

Originally posted by combat_medic:
[qb] If you make it into the unit after stand down (which is May 20 as far as I know), but in enough time to get you on a BMQ course, then you will probably get brought in and kitted out so that you can go on your course. If you can‘t make it on your course, then you will show up for stand to in Septemper. [/qb]
So I can be sworn in and all that while the unit is still standing down? And is there another BMQ course after the sept one but before the summer?

There is usually a Fall/Winter BMQ course and a Spring one.

as far as I know, for last Fall, there wasnt a BMQ course, but there was a Spring BMQ course run for the Seaforth and Westies.

As for next Fall/Winter, I dont know if theres going to be a course.

Originally posted by greymatter:
[qb] my first choice is to get in to the westies :) [/qb]
Is there any real difference between Seaforth and the Westies aside from one being a highland regiment?

there is a difference. It‘s a scientific fact that Westies kick ***. It says so right on a t-shirt. I‘ve never seen any t-shirts that say "seaforths kick ***"

spacelord: Just becuase you read it on a t-shirt doesn‘t make it so. As for differences between the Westies and Seaforths (all machismo aside), there‘s a primary difference of location. If you‘re in Vancouver, for example, you‘re far closer to SH of C, and if you‘re in New West, you‘re closer to R Westmr R. Also, our training plans will differ, and some may offer training that the other doesn‘t.

The Seaforths, for example, are currently offering a Basic Mountain Ops and Rural Surveillance course. Not sure about the Westies, but I think they‘re on a different training plan.

As for courses, they‘ve been pretty good lately about running one BMQ during the year on weekends, and they will probably keep that up this year. As for getting sworn in after stand down, I don‘t know if they‘ll do it; you‘ll have to call the recruiting office to see if they‘re still working during the summer.

T-shirts never lie. But seriously, location is probably the biggest difference. I joined the Westies because it was closer, but if I were to move, I would certainly stay with the Westies. And I‘m sure it would be the same if I happened to join the seaforth. The Seaforths do have a better mess. I‘ll admit that.

Back