• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

PrettyMaggie63 said:
Really, one night of training and you are already thinking about breaking the rules. If you were told "NO makeup allowed in BMQ" why would you even ask that question. IMHO they probably mean "no makeup allowed in BMQ". 

Why don't you let the OP's course staff/CofC dish out the berating if/when the OP is actually on course and then breaks the rules.  No one else who replied, including Officers, WOs, Snr & Jnr NCOs, etc thought it was worth getting their knickers in a knot about. 

:2c:

My basic was some time ago, but I remember being in too much of a rush and too preoccupied with ironing, boots, PT, etc. to worry about things like putting on mascara.  You can always save it for when you go out during your time off.   

Eye in the Sky's advice is good.  Congrats, & good luck on the course.

Thanks everyone for the replies! You've answered my questions. And take it easy on the makeup question, eh? They say "there's no such thing as a stupid question", figured I'd better ask it on a forum as opposed to my CO. It hardly matters, anyway. From what I've read on here and heard from my friends, Aldershot is no walk in the park.
Tonight at the armory I recieved my kitlist, only got a chance to look at it at home. It lists all the items I'm to bring. Relating to my question earlier about the kitlist, it lists all the winter items I received in a list of their own entitled: "Winter Kit Requirements: November to April". I'll be there July-August. I'm guessing I can leave all those winter things behind? I'll clarify for sure with my Mcpl when I go back to recieve my military ID, but what would you guys say? Leave them home?

If you're not familiar with it already, get a map and study the cross country routes to Windsor as they save loads of time for travel, yours to home on leave, or your family's to the Camp to meet you. From Truro hit the exit in Brookfield and go over the Gosse bridge at South Maitland. Then turn right for about 250 yards and hang a left on the Rockpile Road. At the end of that turn left and bomb towards Kennetcook and onward past Stanley. You'll eventually hit Brooklyn and then Windsor. Nice drive.

Alternately you can hit the Rawdon Hills from Milford but that road can be busy and fecking dangerous. I know we used to be outlawed from taking military vehicles through there, not sure if it's the same any longer (same for the old Coles Island route in NB after we hit a moose on the way to Gagetown). Watch out for the duck pond by the St Croix river - some idiot is always stopped there and half on the road.

As far as the rest of the questions/advice - stick with what you're being told. Don't sweat the small stuff and concentrate on learning.

Lots of people laid out $40-50 on Under Armor running shorts when I was in St Jean and it was frequently a stolen item in the laundry facilities. I picked up some tight athletic boxers at Walmart - less than $10 each. They came in a variety of lengths and I went for the shortest ones. They were perfect! 

Also, Monistat makes an anti chafing gel that is good. I would use the tight shorts on your legs but the Monistat was good for other areas. Also good if you're just wearing a skirt and hanging out on the weekends.

Anyone have any advice for working on chinups. As of now I can't do any. When I did my PT test I made it my goal to pass the male requirements and almost did (about 5kg short on hand grip). So I'm a bit frustrated with the fact that chinups are the only thing that I can't even hit the female number on.

The fitness guidlines say that chinups are an important part of basic so I want to be ready!

Hey WONDER8,

Re:  Chin-ups, a lot of people try to do chin-ups focusing solely on using their shoulders and arms to help pull themselves up.

A lot of people don't engage their lats (V muscles that span most of your literal back) - that are crucial to adding a lot more strength in doing the chin-up/pull-up motion.

My suggestions are:

-  Keep good form, and actually keep your head tilted back a little bit.
-  Engage your lats - and pull yourself up using your lats and arms, rather than just your arms.  (Really focus on training your lats, as ideally you should eventually be able to do the motion using your lats dominantly.)

Cheers

theWONDER8 said:
Anyone have any advice for working on chinups. As of now I can't do any. When I did my PT test I made it my goal to pass the male requirements and almost did (about 5kg short on hand grip). So I'm a bit frustrated with the fact that chinups are the only thing that I can't even hit the female number on.

The fitness guidlines say that chinups are an important part of basic so I want to be ready!

Convict Conditioning...google it.

ttlbmg said:
A friend of mine just took off for basic in May, and she shopped EVERYWHERE for a good sports bra. (rather than just something you pull over your head) She found that the Under Armour sports bra was best choice. (she has a Lululemon one as well- she's an athletic wear junkie) She said the Under Armour one is great because it has a clasp in the back. She said it makes it faster changing out of her PT strip. They run about $78, which is pricey. Good luck though, I am sure once you get there, you'll find your own preferences as well!

For all you skeptics.. It's worth the money. Best. Sports. Bra. Ever.  :nod:

EDIT: ALSO - Ladies who have completed BMQ: How often did you have the time to shave your legs?

Cosmo said:
For all you skeptics.. It's worth the money. Best. Sports. Bra. Ever.  :nod:

EDIT: ALSO - Ladies who have completed BMQ: How often did you have the time to shave your legs?

Old thread is old!  I had time on weekends during my FT course, but I didn't bother. There were other things I could be doing and nobody gave a crap.

Messorius said:
Old thread is old!  I had time on weekends during my FT course, but I didn't bother. There were other things I could be doing and nobody gave a crap.

Well that's fair enough. Thank you!

Hopefully the title avoided total gross out BUT be warned. What to the girls do on course at BMQ etc during that time...? ???

bcperson said:
Hopefully the title avoided total gross out BUT be warned. What to the girls do on course at BMQ etc during that time...? ???

What do we girls do on course about what??  The above question from you makes no sense.  Why the words "total gross out BUT be warned??

What is your actual question?

The only things that I can relate to your jumble of words when combined with "females" are the following:

PERIOD:  (Not gross, just a fact of f'n life); bring some pads, panty liners, tampons --- whatever fills 'yer particular *ahem* boots.  They are also available for purchase at CANEX.  Most good RQs also stock these babies for those times when in the field; and

Fingers are free.  Batteries are also available for purchase at CANEX.  Always bring two; ensure each uses a different battery type ... you know, just in case CANEX is out of the size you require.

OR, as Bruce put it, you do "the same thing you do when you're not on course".

;)

ArmyVern said:
What do we girls do on course about what??  The above question from you makes no sense.  Why the words "total gross out BUT be warned??

What is your actual question?

The only things that I can relate to your jumble of words when combined with "females" are the following:

PERIOD:  (Not gross, just a fact of f'n life); bring some pads, panty liners, tampons --- whatever fills 'yer particular *ahem* boots.  They are also available for purchase at CANEX.  Most good RQs also stock these babies for those times when in the field; and

Fingers are free.  Batteries are also available for purchase at CANEX.  Always bring two; ensure each uses a different battery type ... you know, just in case CANEX is out of the size you require.

OR, as Bruce put it, you do "the same thing you do when you're not on course".

;)

:rofl: well, I needed a new keyboard anyway. But now I'm out of beer.

PrairieThunder said:
:rofl: well, I needed a new keyboard anyway. But now I'm out of beer.

I did my basic in Cornwallis, but now that it's in St-Jean QC, I am reasonably certain that beer may also be available for purchase at the CANEX.  It's probably right between the D cells and the double AAs.  Just sayin'.

Now that I'm finished choking on my tea I figured I'd add some things, since this seems like a great topic.  It's stuff I found made me more comfortable, at any rate.

Replaced all my issued boxers with Fruit of the Loom briefs.  Found they chafed less(a lot, lot less, I looked like a baboon after night nav), were cooler, and when you're drenched in sweat and trying to get in and out of a rocket in 2 minutes, it's a lot less fabric to get stuck on  the way up.

Got ladies Body Glide from the Running Room. Used it where the underwear elastics went, the bra, toes and heels. I got a total of one blister in 4 weeks, only chafed uncomfortably 3 times(ETA: my boots are also completely broken in and fit).

Bought Buttocks Paste for chafing when it did happen(yes it's called this, I thought staff was yanking my chain till I went to the pharmacy). It got rid of irritation overnight.  Also worked nice for the heat rash that broke out all over my calves.

Brought baby powder along with the foot powder.  Do not use Gold Bond etc. on your ladybits.  From what I've been told, it does not go well.

Always carry a travel pack or two of kleenex, and a ziplock if you're on your period so you can keep things in your pocket until you reach a bin. I dunno how it works in St. Jean, but I've been in Gagetown and Aldershot where sometimes the rockets haven't been placed where you're training, or they have and there is zero toilet paper, or for some reason they've been taken entirely away.

Back