• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

While we're on this topic of periods... has anyone used cups like Diva Cup? I just only recently started to and can't be happier!

Can I empty them in the field and put them back in? Or how do you switch tampons in the field?

SashaQ said:
While we're on this topic of periods... has anyone used cups like Diva Cup? I just only recently started to and can't be happier!

Can I empty them in the field and put them back in? Or how do you switch tampons in the field?

When you visit the MIR after you arrive at BMQ (you all go together to get your vaccinations), the medical staff will speak one-on-one with all of the females. My MO specifically asked what type of birth control I was on and whether I would end up having my period in the field, they will brief you with some tips and advice. I ended up continuing on my pills through my field work (skipping two periods) and the pharmacy accommodated by providing me with an extra refill of my prescription.

If you don't do that, in the field you will still have access to garbages and portopotties. I would bring some extra Ziploc baggies in case you get stuck and can't switch out in a timely manner (and always carry baby wipes in the field). It won't end up being a big deal, we had a lot of ladies go through it without anything more than minor discomfort.

As a woman in the military, have you felt respected, listened to, promoted and acknowledged for your work, same as the men...or at least as much as any other profession? I have deep concerns because of the militaries track record as to whether or not I am making a huge mistake by continuing the application process with the CAF.  Advice on this would be great.

Reaching about the midway point in your application, following your interview you are required to sign some paperwork promising to follow the expectations of conduct, so even from outside all members and potential members are expected to follow a very high standard. The paperwork specifics include things like disallowing any form of prejudice, being it based on sexuality, race, class, or creed. If, however, the paper guarantee does not offer you a significant peace of mind, I can personally vouch for two girls I ran into at the New West office during the application stage, both of whom where making the same steps towards joining I was. They all where very enthusiastic, and all the staff have interacted worth seem far more keen on judging you by your merit over anything else.

In closing, I heavily recommend checking out "Basic UP" on youtube, it's a series following a handful of recruits through BMQ. Included in this handful is a young girl whose thoughts may prove very valuable to you. In fact, I recommend it to everyone thinking about applying, it's packed to the brim with helpful knowledge!  [:)

Best of luck!
Dija

Like any workplace, there are going to be ding-dong's (both male and female) who colour outside the lines of our conduct and ethics standards and rules;  there are ways to correct those behaviours within our policies.  As a person, I believe you have to be both strong and smart enough to know how to deal with it but deal with it appropriately;  not all nails need the same size hammer to drive them home.

Females in the military successful?  Well, my Commanding Officer is a female.  There are female Senior NCOs and Officers on my crew as well.  We have female technicians and AERE Officer in charge of maintenance crews. 

Hope that helps some along with the other replies you've gotten and will get.  I'm curious what 'the military track record' is in your opinion though, and why.

RESPECT

Respect for others is necessary.  It is human nature to have bias, but 'respect for others' will overcome those biases.  Respect is a two way street.  It is not restricted to one sex, religion, race, etc.  Respect is also earned (or lost) through your own conduct. 

Preconceived views of the Canadian military by many in the 'Public' are often false due to the sources from which they are drawn.  The Canadian military is NOT the American military, the British military; or some military from a Third World dictatorship.  It is unique in its own ways.  Please do not get confused by these facts.

Coffee_psych said:
This is very condescending...I know how to search a website.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not. 

Condescending replies to someone who has given you information does not help your case.

PS:  It would also help if you check the dates that posts are made, and perhaps if the poster is still actively a member of this site.

George Wallace said:
RESPECT

Preconceived views of the Canadian military by many in the 'Public' are often false due to the sources from which they are drawn.  The Canadian military is NOT the American military, the British military; or some military from a Third World dictatorship.  It is unique in its own ways.  Please do not get confused by these facts.

Okay again, this is very condescending.  The Canadian military is also facing inquiries into women in the Canadian military who have been raped and have been singled out to face humiliating tasks.  SO though I appreciate your defensiveness, I am on the side of wanting to see a change in attitude with-in the military and from the public, to see that Canadian military as a respectable and honourable society. 

I don't know why my comment was put in this thread, since I only want to speak to women....

Coffee_psych said:
This is very condescending...I know how to search a website.

I actually think he was trying to be helpful and providing the something very relevant to your question. 

Coffee_psych said:
Okay again, this is very condescending.  The Canadian military is also facing inquiries into women in the Canadian military who have been raped and have been singled out to face humiliating tasks.  SO though I appreciate your defensiveness, I am on the side of wanting to see a change in attitude with-in the military and from the public, to see that Canadian military as a respectable and honourable society.

What inquiry are we, the CAF, facing?  Humiliating tasks?  Such as?

You're not in the military, so I/we get that all you can go from is what you see in the media, news stuff on social networking, etc.  The Canadian Military was, is and continues to be a professional military.  Expecting 'us' to have no problem people make it thru our doors is the same as expecting any university to not have 'problem children', or any other employer.  Something to consider (the larger problem, i.e. Canadian society as it is today, from which we recruit our people).

Maybe gear back the attitude a bit to people who are trying to answer your question. 

I don't know why my comment was put in this thread, since I only want to speak to women....

Unfortunately, you don't get to decide things like that.  Frankly, so far in your few posts you come off as someone with a bit of a chip on your shoulder.  Despite what many people have been allowed to believe in society today, we all aren't special snowflakes.

People with years and years of experience in the Canadian military will offer you their views of 'women in the CAF today', my first post included.  You can skip over the posts of the men if you wish.

Eye In The Sky said:
I'm curious what 'the military track record' is in your opinion though, and why.

It is a little obvious...Since the military is currently facing a number of investigations into sexual miss-conduct.  Though my concerns have little to do with what the women in the military. It has more to do with the highly aggressive men.  I am sure that many men are highly honourable in the military, but even the most honourable of men go against their nature at times.  This is complicated, but is there a women only thread?  Cause I'm already getting backlash from my question...

Eye In The Sky said:
I actually think he was trying to be helpful and providing the something very relevant to your question.  Maybe gear back the attitude a bit to people who are trying to answer your question.

This is called Mansplaining.  It's exactly the thing I am worried about.  I am a highly educated woman, I will received direct entry into the military as an Officer.  However is this is how I am treated on a forum after a question that was meant for women, I doubt I'll be able to make a difference when I actually begin with the CAF.

If you show up in the CAF automatically assuming you're going to be treated poorly, you're going to get exactly that, but not for the reasons you think. If you join and if an issue arises, assertively address it, you'll enjoy your time in the CAF. It seems to me that you have your mind made up that you're going to get poor treatment already, and that chip on your shoulder will only get bigger over time and hinder your career.

Coffee_psych said:
This is called Mansplaining.  It's exactly the thing I am worried about.  I am a highly educated woman, I will received direct entry into the military as an Officer.  However is this is how I am treated on a forum after a question that was meant for women, I doubt I'll be able to make a difference when I actually begin with the CAF.

*le sigh*

Mansplaining?  Are you serious??  :facepalm:

DAA was trying to be helpful and posted a link.  You asked a question, and got replies.  Don't like the replies?  GREAT!  Stop posting questions.  Problem solved.

I wouldn't go thinking too highly of yourself for being 'highly educated' and maybe getting into the CAF as a DEO.  You're not unique or special for that accomplishment.  IF you get into the CAF, you'll find out that there are a great deal of educated, intelligent, smart and talented people serving Canada.

Coffee_psych said:
It is a little obvious...Since the military is currently facing a number of investigations into sexual miss-conduct.  Though my concerns have little to do with what the women in the military. It has more to do with the highly aggressive men.  I am sure that many men are highly honourable in the military, but even the most honourable of men go against their nature at times.  This is complicated, but is there a women only thread?  Cause I'm already getting backlash from my question...

Is the military facing a number of investigations into sexual misconduct?  Where have you read this?

Maybe because your reply to people honestly trying to give you some answers to your question are what has actually been 'condescending' in this thread.  :2c:

I'll speak for myself;  I have no problems with women OR men in the military.  Unless they are unable to do there job.  Or think they are special.  Or think their job is only 8-4, Monday to Friday.  That kind of stuff.

If you get in to the CAF, you'll likely find that same attitude in 99% of the people you serve with.  Most of us don't have time for ding-dongs, regardless of what bathroom they use.

Hopefully some current / former serving females will be along to give you the info you're looking for. 

PuckChaser said:
If you show up in the CAF automatically assuming you're going to be treated poorly, you're going to get exactly that, but not for the reasons you think. If you join and if an issue arises, assertively address it, you'll enjoy your time in the CAF. It seems to me that you have your mind made up that you're going to get poor treatment already, and that chip on your shoulder will only get bigger over time and hinder your career.

I am not looking to see if I'm going to be treated poorly.  I already know that I will.  It's a fact of life for most women.  What I want to know is do the men who act in this way get called out for it, and more especially by other men.  Or is it expected that the woman must stand up for herself and become a "nagger".  Cause that is annoying as all hell.

Eye In The Sky said:
Is the military facing a number of investigations into sexual misconduct?  Where have you read this?

Maybe because your reply to people honestly trying to give you some answers to your question are what has actually been 'condescending' in this thread.  :2c:

I'll speak for myself;  I have no problems with women OR men in the military.  Unless they are unable to do there job.  Or think they are special.  Or think their job is only 8-4, Monday to Friday.  That kind of stuff.

If you get in to the CAF, you'll likely find that same attitude in 99% of the people you serve with.  Most of us don't have time for ding-dongs, regardless of what bathroom they use.

Hopefully some current / former serving females will be along to give you the info you're looking for.

There's a poster of it up in the CAF offices.  So stop being an ignorant ding-dong.

Eye In The Sky said:
*le sigh*

Mansplaining?  Are you serious??  :facepalm:

DAA was trying to be helpful and posted a link.  You asked a question, and got replies.  Don't like the replies?  GREAT!  Stop posting questions.  Problem solved.

I wouldn't go thinking too highly of yourself for being 'highly educated' and maybe getting into the CAF as a DEO.  You're not unique or special for that accomplishment.  IF you get into the CAF, you'll find out that there are a great deal of educated, intelligent, smart and talented people serving Canada.

This was literally my first question on this whole website, and it was for women.  My question got moved by the moderator. Now I have to deal with men who don't understand that women have legitimate concerns that can't be answered by a link that I have already looked into!  If you don't recognize the patronizing that women have to go through everyday, then you are part of the problem.

Why do men feel the need to try and pat me on the back and say it's "going to be Okay", cause from what I see here, it won't be. 

Excuse me, a female ex-CF member coming through to give you her valuable opinion from a woman's point of view.

Coffee_psych said:

If a woman had made the same comment as Eye in the Sky, would you have called it Womansplaining?

Do you have issue with people explaining things to you in general? If so you may want to reconsider your career in the CF since its your primary worry. What do you think will happen on Basic Training? It's months of men and women, higher in rank than you, explaining all sorts of things you (may) already know, including how to fold your underwear properly.

Coffee_psych said:
I am not looking to see if I'm going to be treated poorly. I already know that I will.  It's a fact of life for most women.

If this is how you really, honestly feel, then you should voice this to your recruiter.  There may be some prejudice or misconceptions on your part that they need to discuss with you.

What I want to know is do the men who act in this way get called out for it, and more especially by other men.  Or is it expected that the woman must stand up for herself and become a "nagger".  Cause that is annoying as all hell.

There is a whole section of regulations and policies on things like harassment, sexual misconduct, etc that we follow.  The CAF policies are not so much based on a person's gender, but their relationship in the chain of command;  are they a sub-ordinate, a peer, or a superior officer to the person acting contrary to CAF standards.

However, if a superior officer of yours was to witness someone acting in an unacceptable manner, the policy and orders we follow basically are written to say that superior officer would be duty bound to do something about it.  What the 'do something about it' would be would be determined by the severity of the actions. 

Speaking as a women who is entering a heavily dominated male trade im not sure I really understand your question.. It seems to me you've already made up your mind about how you think you will be treated in the military. "I'm not looking to see if I'm going to be treated poorly" "I already know I will be"... That is a very poor way of looking at any situation! Especially as a women!!  Will your time in the military be a walk in the park? No probably not.. the number of women in the military have only really picked up in recent years and is still dominated by men. But with that being said you shouldn't let a few negative stories and cases cloud your judgment on the military as a whole. You will run into assholes that are both male and female. I have lots of female friends currently serving on bases and ships and they love what they do and who they work with.. It's up to you to decide if it's something you want to do.. Regardless of if and's and could be's:)
Best of luck!

Back