• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Advice for women on BMQ and other courses [MERGED]

Mr. Strobel put a shot right into the forces when he said "To me the answer is simple: Do not send women into combat." and "It has to do with the female of our species being kinder, gentler. The nurturer. Mom, for crying out loud. It doesn't sit right." Someone feel free to tell him tough shit if it doesnt feel right to him. If it feels right to the woman in the LAVIII directing arty fire then give'er.

Strobel's problem is he cant grasp the fact that these women have bigger balls then he will ever have. Lets hope a woman throat punches him to show off thier kinder, gentler side of the nurturing mom.

The only thing that useless waste of air Mike Strobel (Or anyone at the sun, especially those who write every time we have a casualty in astan that its thier right to take close up photos of crying family members) should be comenting on is his fat gut, his bum ankle, and two belly dancing chicks.

/rant off

At first i wanted to tell this dickhead to pull back his foreskin and have a look at todays Canadian Military. We are not conscripts, we are a volunteer military, some of us, male or female, even joined because we wanted the life, not just a job or a paycheck. Then i thought about a few comments that were made in earlier posts, "how dare he write that", or "how can the sun print that". They do it because they can, because we cash the cheques that society writes, so let them, let strobel write his articles, let the sun print them, and consider it as a thank you to us for a job well done, cause if we were not doing it they would be in a gulag somewhere turning rocks into sand (not that i wouldn't like to see that :)!
Cheers Troops....everyone, everywhere!
Never forget!

I'm sorry, but it is even worse that they are of young women.

Maybe to you asshole.

Honestly, even worse because it's a woman?  Lovely slap in the face to the families of all the male soldiers who died. We're sorry for the loss of your son, just be thankful it wasn't your daughter!

"Not suited to combat roles" is pretty clever. I'm glad we face an enemy that only attacks combat arms and stays away from support troops.

The Toronto star seems to be doing a great job at shitting the bed. Remind me never to pick up their paper.

And I don't think its right for those who are slammin' the Sun chain for this....check out the main editorial.
http://www.torontosun.com/Comment/Commentary/2006/05/26/1598407.html
Reproduced under the fair dealings act.
Fri, May 26, 2006
EDITORIAL: Women have the right to be warriors

Today, a funeral will be held in Calgary for Capt. Nichola Goddard, the first Canadian woman to die in battle while serving in a combat role in our armed forces .
In one sense, she is no different from her 15 male comrades-in-arms who have died defending our freedom in Afghanistan. They were all soldiers -- all Canadians. We owe them all an equal debt of gratitude.

But in another sense, Capt. Goddard's death is different and it would be foolish to pretend otherwise. Simply put, her death has added significance because she is a woman.
In the military family, Capt. Goddard may well be remembered as being no different from the men she served with. Those men may feel, and we understand that feeling, that to single her out on the basis of gender is to dishonour her.
But for the rest of us, the death of a female soldier serving in a combat role is different, precisely because she is the first.

Even here, we must define our terms, since there were many brave women who died in our armed forces in the service of their country in World War I and World War II. But not in a combat role, because back then it was not allowed.
Now it is and Capt. Goddard is the first to fall in that role. She won't be the last. And so the question begs: Are we ready for this? Today on Page 6, columnist Mike Strobel makes an eloquent case for why women should not serve in combat.

We respect that view. It speaks to the noble and ancient ideal of chivalry -- that women and children should always be the first saved, the last sacrificed.
But while it is an eloquent argument, it is the wrong one. It's wrong because the issue has long been moot for the women who today choose to join our armed forces and to train in combat roles alongside men.

As a nation, we chose to allow women to enter combat roles. We will betray them if we now have second thoughts about what the inevitable consequence of that decision was.
Capt. Goddard made that choice, freely, not because she was a woman but because she was a Canadian who cared about her country and her world. To those who loved her most, she will always be a beloved wife, a wonderful daughter.

For the rest of us, let us remember her, and all those who come after her, as they would want us to. As soldiers.

I sent the following to both him and the editor:

To Mike Strobel,
Are you uncomfortable with the idea of a woman being in harm's way because she's a woman, or because her being tougher than you upsets your view of us women as weak creatures who need protecting? Capt Goddard knew the risks when she signed up. So will I, when I make my application. I can't wait till I become eligible. Kinder, gentler, nurturing means nothing when fighting the enemy.

One of the things she died for is your right to present your sexist opinion. I hope you're at least grateful for that. I know I am. The loss of a male soldier is no less tragic. You do the many who have died to protect a great injustice.

Amanda

Well...I am only a small cog in the big machine.  But here's my 2 cents.

This "man/guy/whatever" should tie up the boots that female or male soldiers/officers put on "over there".  THEN maybe...MAYBE...I would give 2 flyin' f**ks what he said.

Until then...find a hobby asshat.

It's about the "best person" for the job.  Period.

Go fly a kite.  (which means...)

I don't tell pilots how to fly planes.  Why do reporters/media think THEY are qualified to tell anyone anything about anything.

:threat:

But Canada's is the only military in the world that puts females right up front, such as the observation post where Nicky Goddard died.

Gee, he must have known her personally to be able to refer to her in such a familiar way.  :mad:  Buddy needs to show a little respect.

Not like this topic is new or anything, look at the Ruxsted Group Editorial: "Sorry, we don't agree: "Fighting is for Men" "on: November 15, 2005, http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36475.0.html.

Captain Goddard and the rest of our troops are willing to put it all on the line and accept the consequences. Can people like Mike Strobel say the same? The answer is obviously not, which is why I have all the respect in the world for my fellow service members, and none for people like him.

If this asshat would have listened to her fathers eulogy before his wrote this drivel he would have known that "Nicky" was a name the girl hated with a passion and the only person that ever got away with it was her commanding officer. She as well as every other member of the CF should get the respect they deserve they are Pvt. Capt. Sgt. etc. , Not some little nic name the media pulls out their a**. These men and women are protecting our rights and helping bring those same rights to other countries and IMPO they deserve all the respect the public can give.

I wrote the follwing to the editor , ido not see it being put in the paper but i really not like what he wrote. seemed to be out of the loop and still in the stone age.

Does it matter if we are ready or not. A soldier died, many Canadian
Soldiers have died were we any more ready for them to die. Captain
Goddard was an Army  Officer, no one forced her to join, one forced her to
pick the trade of being Arty Officer. She decided that was what she
wanted and she was very good at what she did in all accounts I have read.  I
am a former soldier and served under Female Officers, I never saw
anything different other then I called them Mame vice calling them Sir. Once
you put on the uniform, you do not care what sex the leadership is,
just as long as she/he can do the job and lead from the front.

I personally am not ready to hear that former co-workers from my army
days have died in combat, but when that happens I will face it and stand
tall and honour my friends, and respect them for the job they picked.
Instead of worrying if Canadians are ready for women to die in combat,
lets
support them and the men who are over there doing what  our country
asked them to do. But remember our country does not ask them, once they
join, our country tells them what  to do.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1990247.php

Military mom set to join Army at age 41

Associated Press

Laurie-Ann Fuca completes her push-ups in front of Sgt. 1st Class Adrian A. Munoz during her final physical fitness test at the Mountain View High School track in Tucson, Ariz., on Friday. At 41, Fuca, whose son is serving in Iraq, is the oldest woman in Arizona to enlist in the Army and will head to boot camp next week. — Greg Bryan / Arizona Daily Star / AP Photo

TUCSON, Ariz. — A Tucson woman is making history as the first Arizona woman to join the Army past her 40th birthday.

Laurie-Ann Fuca, a 41-year-old mother of four, leaves for boot camp Monday — three weeks after her eldest son was sent to Iraq at age 19.

The Army recently raised its maximum recruiting age to 42.

Fuca is one of a handful of older women nationwide now following their sons or daughters into the service, said Douglas Smith, a spokesman for Army recruiting headquarters at Fort Knox, Ky.

He said more than 1,000 new soldiers, male and female, have joined the Army or Army Reserve since a series of age limit changes recently went into effect.

In Arizona, eight people 40 or older have enlisted since January but Fuca was the first woman to do so.

She plans to become the Army equivalent of a hospital paramedic and aims to help wounded troops and civilians.

“I’ve always wanted to be in the military for a long as I can remember, but I never had the opportunity because I was a full-time mom,” Fuca said.

A native of Canada who has been a legal U.S. resident for the past decade, Fuca said the desire is probably in her blood. Her father and sister served in the Canadian army and her brother still does.

Still, Fuca said her friends “laughed their heads off” when she told them of her enlistment.

“They said, ‘No way — not you!’ “ Fuca said as she prepared to pack her duffel bag for basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. “My son was like ‘You’re crazy. Moms don’t join the military,’

“I told him a lot of soldiers are somebody’s mom, and he said ‘Yeah, but you’re MY mom!”’

Fuca’s husband, a former Tucson police officer, was initially shocked at her plans.

“I said, ‘Honey, you can’t even watch a war movie on TV. What are you going to do in the Army?’” said Vinnie Fuca, 49.

But he said he has helped her get in shape with daily runs and Army recruiting supervisors claim she now outshines many recruits half her age.

———

Information from: Arizona Daily Star

Good for her! I did bmq at 46 yrs of age. Not sure I would want to try SQL though!

That's a feel good story of the week for Paul Harvey!
Too bad the enemy does not care how well you feel. :(

go girl go woohoo
                            :cdn: scoty  :cdn:

Usman_Syed said:
That truly is amazing

-Syed
:cdn:

You know it's not all that amazing. When I did bmq in January I was 46 and another woman there was 43 - both of us have children. Perhaps it's just a sign that as a population we are staying healthier longer, taking better care of ourselves and realizing that 40 is no longer the 'beginning of the end'.

I think it's great she did it, but she's still a few years younger than myself and my platoon mate and several other women in their 40s that are joining the CF. IMO older members have a lot to offer and in many cases are more physically fit and can 'adapt and overcome' easier than some of the younger recruits.

Now I was curious about this 41 yr old woman joining and people thinking it's so amazing so I got to wondering how many other 'older' woman are joining the forces? A brief surf of the web got me this:

Scottish mum becomes oldest Navy recruit
22 Jun 06
A 36 year old mother of one has become the oldest female recruit to join the Royal Navy, fulfilling an ambition she has harboured for 20 years.
more on the story here... http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/PeopleInDefence/ScottishMumBecomesOldestNavyRecruit.htm

I wonder now who is the oldest woman to join the CF? I know there are men that are older but I have yet to meet a woman older than me that joined. Anyone know of any?

Back