• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AEC Numbers

Gazoo

Inactive
Reaction score
Over the past few days(between teaching and missions) I did some research on the number of AEC's in the CF now, what we do, where we are posted, and most importantly how many unfilled positions we have.  I know the Preferred Manning Level(PML) is more complicated than it appears on a simple spreadsheet, but I think it illustrates how badly we need people.
Current # of positions - 527
Current # unfilled      - 102
# filled                      - 425
That leaves us 19% short.  For those of you out there smarter than me, I know it is more complicated than simple math, but it does illustrated we are short.
I also counted the number of AEC's who's current position is an actual control position(IFR, VFR, and Weapons), and not some type of staff job as well as the number that fly(AEW).
Current # controlling - 227 (53% of filled positions)
Current # flying        -  46  (included in # of controlling pos.)
So in summary 53% of Aerospace Controllers fill an operational position.
It was interesting finding this out, and is worse than I thought.

In addition to AEC I did the same research for the ANAV occupation, but I will post it in the Aircrew Trades folder.
Everyone can draw their own conclusions as to what the numbers mean, but as 'they say' it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out(what I am trying to say).

I forgot to mention the numbers only include those up to the rank of Colonel.

Interesting numbers.  I presume that the places these AECs are situated is off-limits...?

Also, what type of 'staff jobs' do AECs do?

The places are not off limits, but the list I have contains all the information including location, job and name.  I thought my research would be eye opening to some.  I didn't want to include any more info than I did.  The places we go are many and varied just as the ANAV locations are.  Most of the staff jobs we do in the Air Force are similar in nature.  They would include administrative, training, foreign exchange... and many more.

I can see now why AEC is an open selection trade. Good for those of us trying to get into the trade, but bad for the CF.

I am curious, do some AEC fly e.g like a pilot, you mentioned, are they part of AEW wing and how one can get into flying, thanks

I also counted the number of AEC's who's current position is an actual control position(IFR, VFR, and Weapons), and not some type of staff job as well as the number that fly(AEW).

AECs perform air weapons control duties on AWACS. If that constitutes flying to you then there is your answer.

You are welcome. I missed the second part of your question though... the how.
Essentially you need to get selected for AEC and then request AWC, as opposed to ATV IFR or ATC VFR. Most people get their choice of AEC stream (98%+) but it will also be based on needs of the service. Upon successful completion of occupational training you will be assigned employment that is also based on need with consideratio of desire. Several recent CFSACO grads are already off flying with AWACs.

Initially i thought maybe some AECs are doing actual flying (PILOT) so i got excited and asked. Its going to be challenging especially when i studied biology for longtime. I got hold of MANOPS and other aeronautical manuals and going through these in addition to physical training. Looking forward to august BMOQ.

thankyou for the encouragement :nod:
Still have a question, i will be finishing BMOQ on Dec 11. My file manager today told me that i will have 2 weeks off because of holidays and then i will be posted for OJT followed by AEC Cornwall course. Do you know how often is AEC course or roughly when is it offered.

never mind i found answer in another post for this one Plus is it possible to get OJT at you home town e.g. Winnipeg thats where i live now.

new question, is OJT considered as your first posting (or the posting after graduation from CFASCO),, if so i guess i will go somewhere else for this and come back to winnipeg later on

Zahoor,
Do you want Air Traffic or Air weapons?  All ATC will now start with IFR.  IFR courses are held twice per year, January and August.  Weapons, there are a few courses per year.  As for going to Winnipeg on OJT, yes you can.  And as for your first posting, that is after graduating from CFSACO.  Your OJT is not a posting.  And you will not be returning to Winnipeg after you graduate as a posting, maybe some day as a staff job.  Hope this helps.

Hmm, seems like people are posting conflicting info on here. So if I get accepted into CFSACO once I transfer to the AEC trade do I start with IFR training first or not?

It only conflicts in so much as people insist on posting rumours, old info or stuff they pulled out of their collective asses.

As a new AEC you will be assigned by AF Tng into one of the three AEC streams: AWC, ATC IFR or ATC VFR. Which stream will be based on service needs with due consideration for your preferences. AF Tng will solicit your preferences while you are on OJT. Most people have been getting their first choice.

I'd also heard the rumour that new AEC's weren't being tossed into VFR

Thanks Mountie, If one ever goes to civilian life is it better to be an IFR? since i am taking some french course at university, would it be possible to do OJT at Buggotville (to keep it fresh) :nod:

Back