• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Officers-AEC [merged]

Had a friend just grad the ac op three's ,said it was a cakewalk.Hes gone to shearwater now.

Garry said:
Flatspin,

It's a good trade, though not for everyone. If you cannot handle stress or think fast on your feet, find another way to make a living. If you can, it's a great way to live.

Good post Garry.  I'm surprised you can see the screen with all that long hair in your eyes.

Flatspin - Sorry, didn't intend to sound negative, it just kind of came out that way.

Hey all,

I am in the process of putting in my CT to Air Force, and am considering both ATIS and AC Op.  I think the Weapons side appeals to me much more than the ATC side for AC Ops...any info on what that side of the house is like?  I haved watched the video on the Recruiting website where it talks about Surv and I.D. but...its not the "nuts and bolts" I was hoping to get on "life for the first 5 years after TQ3".

Is your first posting N Bay for sure?  How long before you get to put in for US/Europe tours?  What percentage of the trade is actually in AWACS?  Rank level for AWACS?  I am assuming Snr NCO's and WO's only???  Once you go Wpns, do you stay there and not go to ATC (if thats what you really want)?  Or is it sorta like POET trng used to be...depending on how you do on the course, they pick you for ATC or Wpns then??

Any info is REALLY appreciated...its like AC Ops are ghosts in Halifax..no one knows one ( or even what an AC Op is ).   ;D 

Mud

Mud Recce Man said:
I am in the process of putting in my CT to Air Force, and am considering both ATIS and AC Op. 

Mud,
I can see it now...Flight 135 thsi is MRM you are cleared to taxi on runway 9er...Helloooo? I said 9 you fu%^&ng loser.(throws headset in disgust)
(says to tower OC) Sir, can you come over here?...Am I speaking english or what? This stupid C*ckS$%#@  is retarded....I am outta here.

MRM goes tos NorthBay Mess and kills bartender because he finds out Alpine is considered an import...cost of living way too high.

At least in the corps we can shoot what pisses us off.

Are you serious? You were coming with me last week. But you would fit in PT wise... Haha

Flatspin,

I promised myself in '77 that I'd grow my hair back in three years after I found a real job :) Hard, had to buy my first comb in years, and while my hair is growing, it's coming back in patches.

Likely,

Everyone is always (ALWAYS) extremely professional on the radio...but if you think for one second that expletevices aren't expleted in between transmissions, nor headsets chucked across the Ops room, then you're sadly mistaken. The Air Force also looks at you a little funny if you show up to work with a weapon (yes, I've proven it) so no shooting those that aggravate you.

One other thing- there's not as many weapons platforms in the air as there used to be. ATC seems to be much like the Army- 90% boredom followed by 10% sheer panic.

Cheers- Garry

Garry said:
Flatspin,

I promised myself in '77 that I'd grow my hair back in three years after I found a real job :) Hard, had to buy my first comb in years, and while my hair is growing, it's coming back in patches.

Garry I think you meant to address your last post to Air4ce not me. I can confirm I know nothing about your hair or lack of it.  ;D

Like,

Come on now...with the proper training (and mild sedation) I could make a GREAT AC Op!

:blotto:

Mud Recce Man said:
Like,

Come on now...with the proper training (and mild sedation) I could make a GREAT AC Op!

Me too Buddy, Me too!

Garry,

Any info on the Wpns side of AC Ops?  I read what you said about the ATC side, if you had details like that on the other side too..wow all my questions would be answered.

MRM

Mud,

Sorry- plenty of stories, but it's all second hand.

PM Judy- she's a weapons gal, and if you're nice to her she'll fill you in on all the good stuff.

Cheers-Garry

Weapons is great!!!  So much better than the crappy ATC side.  ;D

When you go weapons, you definitely have to go to North Bay first.  I've never heard of anyone not doing their time in the Bay.  You have to do surveillance, then ID, and you could possibly do RADIL too, I think.  Then there's opportunity to move to weapons tech, which is a much more interesting and involved job.  You sit beside the controller and assist them during their missions with helping them get the information they need, coordinating with outside agencies (ATC, centres, etc.) and being a second pair of eyes on the scope. 

You could be posted to either Cold Lake or Bagotville to work in one of the tactical radar squadrons as a WASO (Weapons Assistant Sensor Operator... ?).  It's much more fun being in one of the deployable squadrons than in the Bay, in my opinion.

As for AWACS, I'm not exactly sure but I think you may be right - Sgt+.  Don't quote me on that. 

Check out this video:

http://dev.multimediaservices.ca/newmedia/controller/

It's for AEC, but you could still get a better idea of the differences between the three sides of the trade.  I wonder if there is an ACOp video like this one?

Any other questions feel free to ask.

It looks like the CF is updating their trade videos on the recruiting site. These two are much better and more informative than the previous ones. Thanks for the link.

Kool video - where do I sign up?  ;D

cheers, mdh

That's it for you Judy- I want my beer back.

( I have bought you a beer, haven't I??)

:)

Garry

Judy

Tks for the info and the links...the AC Op video is MUCH better than the one on the recruiting site...wow.  I saved it so I can watch it again...the Surv/ID stuff sounds interesting to me...and then again, so does the ATC.  Eanie...meanie...miny...moo... ;D

MRM

Well, the new video is great.  Now I realize that there is ATC/AD initially...and THEN weapons.  Makes sense. Judy the link you had actually has both the AEC and AC Op video's.  Both are very well done.  Tks

The question NOT answered on the video ( it is actually the one on the CF Recruiting website for AC Op too, a HUGE improvement from the last one... ) is...do you "pick" if you want ATC or AD...or how do they figure that out????  Draw straws?  Rock/paper/scissors?

I am sure it is not that...just curious though...its like a secret or something...

MRM

Garry said:
That's it for you Judy- I want my beer back.

( I have bought you a beer, haven't I??)

:)

Garry

I don't think so.  I think I should have bought you one though - it was your mug out! 

Mud Recce Man said:
The question NOT answered on the video ( it is actually the one on the CF Recruiting website for AC Op too, a HUGE improvement from the last one... ) is...do you "pick" if you want ATC or AD...or how do they figure that out????  Draw straws?  Rock/paper/scissors?

Unfortunately, no.  You can put your preferences, but as we are all aware - the needs of the CF come first.

It varies course to course too.  When I was in Cornwall, from the 3s course that graduated, all but one got weapons.  The other person got ATC because she had a service husband in Shearwater.  However, the course after was more of an even split, so it really varies.

I wouldn't say that surveillance is too thrilling of a job, but it's only temporary and you get to move up eventually.    If anyone is interested in talking directly to an AC Op, I can give you an email address.  I only know weapons people though.  We don't fraternize with the others on the dark side.

I would definitely choose weapons, but I'm biased!  ;D  ATC is for wieners. 

Back