• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

Rec'd week 10 badges yesterday, and all I can say is it has been one big blur. For the most part, it's what I expected and was prepared for! Started with 74, cut down to 60, and we are now 47. Between mine and the sister platoon, 2 AC OPS got re coursed; 1 to WFT and another injured.

I have a question on post BMQ as it relates to Xmas holidays. I'm set to graduate on Nov.25. From what I gather, AC OP course won't start in Corwall until January (Can anyone confirm start date and course length?). I'll have 2 weeks of holiday time banked to burn through before fiscal year end in addition to the time off around Xmas. How long does everything tend to shut down for around Xmas? My instructors are reluctant to talk about anything post BMQ, and I'll want try to maximize time with family and friends out west before commencing school again.

Thanks all.

-Vroom

vroom said:
My instructors are reluctant to talk about anything post BMQ,

Thats because you will not belong to them at xmas time so your leave is not for them to decide.

How long does everything tend to shut down for around Xmas?

To be clear, most of the Air Force never shuts down. People take leave as their units see fit but theres always people working, flying , etc.....

vroom said:
I have a question on post BMQ as it relates to Xmas holidays. I'm set to graduate on Nov.25. From what I gather, AC OP course won't start in Corwall until January (Can anyone confirm start date and course length?). I'll have 2 weeks of holiday time banked to burn through before fiscal year end in addition to the time off around Xmas. How long does everything tend to shut down for around Xmas? My instructors are reluctant to talk about anything post BMQ, and I'll want try to maximize time with family and friends out west before commencing school again.

After you finish BMQ, you will be attach-posted to a unit prior to your 3s course in Cornwall.  That unit is where you will be told what your holiday leave period will be.  Even if you graduate BMQ on your expected day, there is no guarantee that you will be on the Jan course in Cornwall.  When I am back to work on Monday, I will try to remember to check on course dates for you.

You are in the military now.  Appreciate the time that you get with your family and friends, but realize too that your time with them will not always happen when you want it to or for as long as you want.  You will need to accept that and make sure that they understand it too.  It will get harder before it gets easier.

Vroom: Jan 13th is the start date.
Duration: Unknown - however it will be in your joining instructions. Wait out until you receive the joining instr.

The CFSACO webside ( http://northbay.mil.ca/22wing/CFSACO/Main/index_e.asp ) gives instr on leave if your crse goes over xmas holidays or during the summer.

Ill probably meet you Jan 13th. Cheers,

Cheers all. All the AC OPS on mine and the  sister platoon are heading to North Bay after graduation. Thanks for checking into the start date. Looking forward to the QL3 whenever it starts. Time has flown by here in St Jean.

NightSins said:
Vroom: Jan 13th is the start date.
Duration: Unknown - however it will be in your joining instructions. Wait out until you receive the joining instr.

The CFSACO webside ( http://northbay.mil.ca/22wing/CFSACO/Main/index_e.asp ) gives instr on leave if your crse goes over xmas holidays or during the summer.

Do I need to be on a military computer to access that site? It's a dead link over internet atm. Thanks NightSins.

vroom said:
Cheers all. All the AC OPS on mine and the  sister platoon are heading to North Bay after graduation. Thanks for checking into the start date. Looking forward to the QL3 whenever it starts. Time has flown by here in St Jean.

Don't get too excited for YYB yet, it was -8 today with lots of wind and snow.

The dates that are currently set for the next two QL3 courses are: 10 Jan - 21 Apr 2011 and 2 May - 12 Aug 2011.

The CFSACO website that NightSins gave you is only accessible on the DWAN.  If you have any specific questions about the course, just ask and I will either answer or provide you the information from the site.  As for your joining package and pre-course study package, you will receive those when you get to North Bay prior to your course.

Thanks. Was also wondering what is contained in the self study package that is issued to me prior to QL3. I hear it is tested and the passing mark is 90 percent. Is it a barn burner to prepare for over the holidays, or something that can be mastered in a week or so?

vroom said:
Thanks. Was also wondering what is contained in the self study package that is issued to me prior to QL3. I hear it is tested and the passing mark is 90 percent. Is it a barn burner to prepare for over the holidays, or something that can be mastered in a week or so?

When I did my 3's, we were given the first week of the course to study the package.  For some students, this was the first time they had seen it.  They passed, but it was a busy week for them.  I was also on the January course, and I studied over the holidays.  I didn't take alot of time with it, but if you read through a couple of times a day, it will be greatly beneficial.

I haven't seen a copy of the package in awhile.  I can probably get a copy next time I am at work.  You will be working on airport identifier codes, aircraft names, sector names and locations, weather terminology, lots of acronyms.  It takes time, but if you have a good memory, you will be fine.  Break it down into sections and just keep reading it over and over.  Have someone test you on it regularly.  Make up riddles and words to help you remember it all.

I would not leave it until the last week.  Get comfortable with the majority of it ahead of time and then use your last week to pound all of the rest of it into you.

re: QL3 pre-course package

The following is on the CFSACO page:

CFSACO / Training / Pre-Course Package / QL3

QL3 Pre-Course Study Package

The QL3 Pre-Course Study Package has been prepared by CFSACO for your use as a pre-course preparation aid. The students will have several days during the first week of the course to absorb the contents of this package.  However, it is highly recommended that the material in this package become (very familiar) committed to memory prior to course.

Pre-Course Study Package
The information in this package will be used during the training simulation which is based on individual performance as a simulation and assessment is run for each student. It is not possible for the student to undergo training without an in depth knowledge of the enclosed information.

For ease of learning this package has been divided into three sections:

Section A: NORAD Air Defence
Section B: Air Traffic Control
Section C: DND Security Policy

Pre-Course Confirmation (Practice) Exam
The pre-course practice exam is comprised of fourteen (14) parts and four (4) diagrams and is based on the Aerospace Operator (Aero Op 169) pre-course study package, verbatim. Depending on which phase of training we begin with, the test, comprised of either Section A or Section B will be written during the first week of classes at CFSACO.

A minimum of 85% must be achieved in order to continue training.

For studying purposes and for ease of use the exam has been broken up into two parts.

Section A:  NORAD Air Defence Practice Exam
Section B:  Air Traffic Control Practice Exam

If you have access to the DWAN (military computer) or have an instructor or friend that can access it for you, you can find the study package as well as a practice exam at http://northbay.mil.ca/22Wing/CFSACO/training/PreCrs_Pkg/Pre_Crs_QL3_e.asp

Thanks for that Airmich.

I have some info here at CFLRS that the course start date has been pushed back from January 13. Can you confirm this?

Thanks again!

I got confirmation today that the next course is 13 Jan - 15 Apr.  Start date is firm but end date is always flexible.

Sorry for the late reply. I do appreciate you looking into that for me! I'm back in Victoria now, and loving how 14 days of leave in the system turns into 31 days off with a free plane ticket to boot (according to my LTA calculation). I've been studying regularly since getting the package, and have only a few more pages to memorize. With any luck I'll be able to enjoy some guilt free relaxation soon.

Merry Christmas! Or as I used to have to say in a previous job, "Best of the festive season."

vroom, good on you for getting some studying in.  It will be worth it, trust me.  And enjoy the rest of your time off before course starts.  If you have any questions during the course, don't hesitate to ask.  Feel free to update some of the course threads too, with new info.

Im going on course in Jan 2011 for AC OP. The pre course study package is huge with lots of info. Im studding the best I can but they advise in the package that I get the "Section A/Section B" exams off the CFSACO website. This website is nowhere to be found. HELP...Do I need a DIN account to access it? Can someone send me either the link or the exams?
Thanks

Brian

Are you already in? If so I can move your question to the proper area.

Also, please change your profile name.

The Army.ca Staff

This website is nowhere to be found. HELP...Do I need a DIN account to access it?

Yes, the link would be on the DWAN only.  Do you not have a DWAN account?

PennyTraition said:
Im going on course in Jan 2011 for AC OP. The pre course study package is huge with lots of info. Im studding the best I can but they advise in the package that I get the "Section A/Section B" exams off the CFSACO website. This website is nowhere to be found. HELP...Do I need a DIN account to access it? Can someone send me either the link or the exams?
Thanks

Brian

I just read through the package and I do not see anywhere that it says for you to get the exams off of the site.  I quickly read through the opening section of the package, so it is likely that I missed it.

However, I doubt it says for you to get the actual exams off of the site.  The reason for this is that no exams are posted on the site.  Yes, there are practice exams.  But even they are not necessary.  The practice exam is exactly like your pre-study package.  Simply place a sheet of paper over where the answers are, or blank them out and make an extra copy.

Unless they have changed the course, you will be given a few days at the beginning to review the study package.  This gives you a great opportunity to use the other people on the course for group study.  I strongly suggest that you keep reading through the package, continuously.  Yes, there is a lot to learn but repetition will help you through it.

Above all else, do not panic.  There is nothing on the exam except your exact package.  Good luck and have fun on course.

Back