• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

For those who were following this post, I didn't get my first choice which was COMOX, but Moose Jaw. I've heard lot's of great things and I've heard it's a good unit as well. The weather however is not exactly exciting lol. Nor are the mosquitos.

Thanks all for the answers to the questions along the way and if anyone has any questions for me regarding my trip from the recruiting office to graduating the QL3's let me know.

I've been posted to YMJ starting at the end of February. I will be starting in the tower.

Looking for some past or present ACOP's or ATC's who've worked both tower and term to give me their thoughts as to what they liked or not liked and the Pros and Cons of each.

Also, if you have past experience in Moose Jaw I'd love to hear about your time there. Feel free to PM me.

All of the ACOPs I have worked with tend to like the tower better. Im in Greenwood right now and the ACOPs tend to cross qualify within a year. Im not sure about how things are run in YMJ. Enjoy Checkout!

Guy Incognito said:
QL3 training is 61 Training Days, plus typically BAEQ (Basic Air Environment Qual) is done before starting course, so 66 training days, which works out to 13-14 weeks. I can PM you with 2014 course dates from CFSACO if you'd like.

As for wait times before course, it does vary. If you finish your BMQ in May, the next course wouldn't be until September, and after that, January. So, chances are you'll be waiting for a couple months before your QL3 course starts. There can be some wiggle room with where you do your pre-course OJT (I know one person who did it at a PRes unit, and two at CFRC's), so you -may- be able to live with or close to your family while you wait for your course. 

Once you finish QL3, you'll be given a posting which will allow you to move your dependants with you. FYI: Girlfriends don't count as dependants unless you've declared common-law, which requires one-year continuous co-habitation, or having a child together.

Would you happen to have the 2015-16 dates?

Thanks

New to the forum. I'm pretty sure I know the answer from finding it on here but I have other people in the military telling me different (they aren't directly in the trade though).

I have everything passed for joining as an ACOP they told me last Monday there waiting for my background to come back and they will call me as they received my medical back and I'm good to go.

My questions is and again my apologies if my previous finding we correct but do all acops get spec pay? Or is it just the radar specialization that's listed on the forces website?

I want to get into the tower but I know they decide where they want you to go basically correct?

If it's better you can PM me.
Thanks guys and gals!

Only those in the Radar Controller (PAR Controller) sub-occupation get Spec 1 pay. All other AC Ops get regular base pay.

Greetings,

My son has just finished his CFAT and he did excellent.

He has questions though about his first choice of going AC Op. There is two subsections within the trade with people working various places. His goal would be to work in a tower. He wanted to go for air traffic controller as an officer but his grades where not competitive enough for the Officer streams.

What are the odds of making it to a tower position? 
Are there things that he can do to enhance his odds?
Is it simply the "needs of the CF" type filling of the billets?
Is it based on aptitude?

Just wondering as he has been informed he is an ideal Candidate for Air Weapons System Technician as well.

I just want to provide him the maximum amount of information so he can make a truly informed choice in his career.

As another side question, the recruiter mentioned he was nearly Ideal for AC op but is missing his Drivers license. He has his Driving test Mid Oct so if he passes he can inform the recruiting center.. but the question is how much influence would it have on his Merit list if he was lacking a DL for  AC Op?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Titicboom said:
Greetings,
My son has just finished his CFAT and he did excellent.
He has questions though about his first choice of going AC Op. There is two subsections within the trade with people working various places. His goal would be to work in a tower. He wanted to go for air traffic controller as an officer but his grades where not competitive enough for the Officer streams.
What are the odds of making it to a tower position? 
Are there things that he can do to enhance his odds?
Is it simply the "needs of the CF" type filling of the billets?
Is it based on aptitude?
Just wondering as he has been informed he is an ideal Candidate for Air Weapons System Technician as well.
I just want to provide him the maximum amount of information so he can make a truly informed choice in his career.
As another side question, the recruiter mentioned he was nearly Ideal for AC op but is missing his Drivers license. He has his Driving test Mid Oct so if he passes he can inform the recruiting center.. but the question is how much influence would it have on his Merit list if he was lacking a DL for  AC Op?
Thank you very much for any assistance.

If he should be made an offer of employment for the occupation of AC Op, then once he successfully completes his BMQ, he will be posted for AC Op Training, probably 51 Sqn North Bay or CFSACO (NAV Centre Cornwall).  During his initial occupation training and as far as I know, students are usually asked which "stream" (ie; Tower or Weapons) that they would be interested in pursuing.  Things just sort of fall into place from that point on and chances are, the request/assignment will most likely be based on current AC Op  training performance.

Having a Drivers Licence (DL) isn't a deciding factor nor a huge issue and shouldn't make a difference.  It is recommended that applicants have some form of DL at the time of enrolment and some CAF occupations do require you to have an "unrestricted" one but I don't believe that AC Op is one of them.

There should be a few AEC or AC Ops lurking around here at Army.ca who can provide better info on the trg and assignment processes for the occupation.  Good luck!

PS - if no one steps up, send me a PM and I'll track someone down for you.      :)

Greetings,

After completing BMQ, he will go to an Air Wing for a period of On the Job Training/Employment before going to Cornwall ON for his QL3 Course.  As long as your son asks for a posting to an air base ie Comox, Cold Lake, Moose Jaw, Trenton, or Greenwood to start, it's almost a certainty that he will be assigned to the tower at some point in the first year.  If he gets sent to North Bay first then it's going to be approx 3-4 years until he will get an opportunity to be posted to an Air Wing where he can work in a tower.  PM me for more.

Greetings,

Has there been an overhaul of the AC Op course.  From looking at the schedule the course appears to be longer.
Is there still a Pre Academic course with the memorization test etc?

Cheers

To the best of my knowledge, they have added some more Performance Objectives to the course. 

The Pre-Course exam will either remain the same or also have a few more sections. 

From what I know the new course will be changing with the airport used in training along with a few other changes as well.

Greetings,

Any chance there is a course schedule/outline of any sort available on DWAN for the current in house version of the DP1/QL3.

Thank you to all the AC Op's out there that have helped answer my questions over the past year.  It has helped a lot.

Cheers.

Greetings,

Just curious as to what the job would be for a new AC Op that would be posted to CFB Winnipeg. I am guessing it would be in support of the AOC but has anyone got any experience or first hand knowledge of the role they might play?

Cheers and thanks

Depends which unit you are posted to... 1 CAD or 17 Wing OSS

Back