• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aerospace Control Operator ( AC Op )

twigs2, you certainly sumarised the situation better than I did and certainly in a less contentious way. Thanks.

Any information provided would be great.  i apologize in advance if I have not used the search function properly, but I did a search and nothing came up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on the possibility of East Coast postings for AC OP's?

In an ideal situation I would be posted out here following my course in Cornwall.  I am divorced and my ex and our kids are here.  I understand that I am not the one who decides where my role is best suited.  I am just wondering if there are AC OP positions in NB or NS?

Any information is very much appreciated.

Possible AC Op postings out east:

CFB Shearwater, NS
CFB Greenwood, NS
CFB Goose Bay, NFLD
CFB Gander, NFLD
CFB Bagotville, QC

Some of these may not be possible for first postings.

I don't want to hassle the CFRC at this point, so if anyone has information regarding allotment for this trade please advise.

Merit listed in January and waiting patiently.

-vroom

vroom said:
I don't want to hassle the CFRC at this point, so if anyone has information regarding allotment for this trade please advise.

Merit listed in January and waiting patiently.

-vroom

You do realize that this is NOT an official CF site?  It is highly unlikely that someone here would have any of that information available on a Friday night, nor over the weekend.

I realize this isn't an official CF site. It is however, full of CF members that may or may not know the allotment for this trade, and since it is a Friday, I thought perhaps some information may have come out over the course of the week.

Thank you for your reply.

Received and accepted a job offer today! AC OP, August BMQ.

The table showed 17 openings for AC OP as of April 6. 

I'm really looking forward to starting my career with the Forces  ;D

Well to my knowledge there are no longer any AC Ops or AEC in Goose Bay or Gander. The other thing to remember is that a LARGE chunk of Ac Op start, I believe, their career in CADS as IDT or TT, and therefore go to North Bay. Those who are MOSID 170 (as opposed to 169) go direct to aerodromes, in which case Bagot, Greenwood or Shearwater are all good choice.

Cheers!

Does anyone have information regarding cost of room and board at CFASCO?

I've sent some emails to the people at NAV Canada but have not heard back, and googling CFASCO brings up a link to a dead page and a redirect to Air Force home page.

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations on your job offer!

But what do you mean “regarding [the] cost of room and board at CFASCO”?

Uhhh, unless I’m missing something, doesn’t the CF cover the cost of the room and board and also pay you while training?  Isn’t that the deal?  Isn’t that why they ask you to sign a contract for 5 years ?

By the way, was AC Op your 1st choice? What were your other choices?

srhodes said:
But what do you mean “regarding [the] cost of room and board at CFASCO”?

Uhhh, unless I’m missing something, doesn’t the CF cover the cost of the room and board and also pay you while training?  Isn’t that the deal?  Isn’t that why they ask you to sign a contract for 5 years ?

If you do not have dependents (spouse, child) - thereby making you eligible for free R&Q (rations & quarters) while on course - you will indeed pay a certain amount for "room and board".  Everyone else in the CF pays for rent and groceries.

Ok NAV Canada would not know, vroom. They are a different entity : don,t hassle them  >:D

I`ll look up the rates today on the DIN and post them, but they are pretty hefty, as the rooms are considered superior quality (they are). But hey, you got a tanning salon AND jacuzzi pool on top of all other sport amenities, so pretty good deal.

Thanks Timbit. I wonder if students have a choice as to whether to stay at their facility or strike out on their own. My file manager responded today, and she did not know.

Not looking to stay at the Ritz when there may be a Motel 6 nearby lol.

I found a document online from DND requesting bids for a contract to service the 2010 course, which makes me think we don't have a choice but to stay on 'campus'.

PMedMoe said:
If you do not have dependents (spouse, child) - thereby making you eligible for free R&Q (rations & quarters) while on course - you will indeed pay a certain amount for "room and board".  Everyone else in the CF pays for rent and groceries.

Unless things have changed in the last year, you are on TD while at CFSACO in Cornwall. Rations and quarters were no charge, and you received incidentals for the TD period.

Flatspin said:
Unless things have changed in the last year, you are on TD while at CFSACO in Cornwall. Rations and quarters were no charge, and you received incidentals for the TD period.

My mistake.  I was under the impression it was a posting, not TD.  Do members pay R&Q elsewhere?

Yes while at CFSACO members will pay R&Q at their place of postings or at the school depending. From the website:

When a student is attach-posted to CFSACO, he/she will cease paying for R&Q at their home unit and commence paying for R&Q here in Cornwall.  The rate is comparable to R&Q fees across Canada and is deducted from your pay in the same manner.

vroom:

Thanks Timbit. I wonder if students have a choice as to whether to stay at their facility or strike out on their own. My file manager responded today, and she did not know.

Not looking to stay at the Ritz when there may be a Motel 6 nearby lol.

What a crazy idea. This is the CF, you go where they tell you and where is cheaper for the Forces... nto for you. From the website:

4.  Can I get an apartment in town or purchase a home in Cornwall?
A:  No.  CF personnel who are attach-posted are not entitled to relocation or long term storage of their dependants, furniture and effects (DF&E).  Students who live outside CFSACO generally do not perform as well on their course as their peers who live-in.  Moreover, experience has shown that students who live on the economy are more likely to fail their course.

5.  I am not currently living in barracks at my home unit because I have a house or apartment and do not have any dependants.  Am I still required to pay for R&Q while on course? 
A:  No.  If you own a home in the same locale as your home unit or are renting an apartment, you will not be required to pay for quarters.  However, you are still required to pay for rations while on course.  Bring a copy of your lease or mortgage as proof of this fact when you arrive at CFSACO. 

6.  I am not currently living in barracks at my home unit because I have a house or apartment and I have dependants.  Am I still required to pay for R&Q while on course? 
A:  No.  If you have dependants and are renting an apartment or own a home in the locale of your home unit, you are not required to pay for rations or quarters as you are paying for them elsewhere.  You may also be entitled to separation expense.

That being said, rates for the room is 316 a month, for very good single room with private bathroom. Here: http://northbay.mil.ca/22Wing/CFSACO/Administration/NCTI/Accomdn_e.asp

Finally, according to DCBA  D FOOD SVCS 003/09, full strength rations with no table service is at 493.82.

So a grand total of 809.82, unless you have a house and no dependants, in which case you<re looking at 493.82 or house/rent WITH dependants in case it's free,. YEah!

Crazy what you'll find on the DIN these days :)

"Finally, according to DCBA  D FOOD SVCS 003/09, full strength rations with no table service is at 493.82."

Wow. I spend a good amount less than that here in Victoria. I guess not having to do dishes may make it worth it.

Back