• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

Thanks so much. I been trying to search for that pdf file for the last couple days.

Hey guys......does anyone know if there are going to be any upcoming info sessions for AES Ops here in Halifax? 
Cheers
Steve :cdn:

Not sure about that, but...there are AES Ops at 423 and 406 here across the harbour.  I was able to talk to 2 AES Op Sgts the day before my PSO interview.  Shouldn't be too hard to arrange, unless things have changed...

Ya, if your near, Shearwater, Greenwood NS, or Comox, Pat Bay BC, too easy to find a willing AES op to brag about the trade.  And will look good in the eyes of the PSO that you researched the trade.  Most likely arrange a famil flight if you talk to the right people.

flames9 said:
Ya, if your near, Shearwater, Greenwood NS, or Comox, Pat Bay BC, too easy to find a willing AES op to brag about the trade.  And will look good in the eyes of the PSO that you researched the trade.  Most likely arrange a famil flight if you talk to the right people.

I suggest you know as much about the trade as you can before the PSO interview.  I brought in a binder with all the info I was able to find and I can tell you for sure it certainly helped my score on the interview.

I didn't manage the famil flight though...damn!

I'm actually in Shearwater and work very close to 406 Sqn........ ;D
I guess you could say I'm buliding the nerve to let my CoC know of my intentions to apply for AES OP A.S.A.P.!!  I have under a year to wait now :)

TangoHotel said:
I guess you could say I'm buliding the nerve to let my CoC know of my intentions to apply for AES OP A.S.A.P.!!  I have under a year to wait now :)

It is not like you are asking your father for the car keys.  The sooner the ball starts rolling the better prepared you and your COC will be.

I noticed that AES Op's work with UAV's. Would they work along side an Air Nav Officer doing this or would they have full control over the UAV.

Curious if anyone on this site has ever controlled an UAV?

snoop101 said:
I noticed that AES Op's work with UAV's. Would they work along side an Air Nav Officer doing this or would they have full control over the UAV.

AES Ops operate the UAV payload, thats it.

AES Ops: Changes taking flight
by Stela Susic

They know only the words “exciting” and “dynamic” can properly describe their careers as airborne electronic sensor operators (AES Ops). As the crewmembers that operate airborne sensors on CP-140 Auroras and Sea King maritime helicopters, they help defend Canada’s sovereignty and support Canadian missions abroad.

“In 24 years, there’s never been a dull moment,” says Warrant Officer Brad Sapelak, from 12 Wing Shearwater. “I've served on two tours, numerous deployments and countless exercises. There is no other military occupation I’d prefer to the AES Op.

“The future is rife with excitement and potential as we face many significant changes,” he adds, “including a new recruiting process, and occupational growth which is a result of expanded operational functions.”

These changes are coming—and fast—keeping AES Ops on their toes. The CF is shifting its recruitment efforts into high gear and overhauling the occupation by opening doors to the best and the brightest talent outside the military. This marks a change in a process that was traditionally only open to CF personnel through an occupational transfer. Kicked off in this month, the three-year direct-entry trial aims to attract the talent that might otherwise go to other employers looking for similar skill sets.

In addition, the AES Op occupation will soon take over the CP-140 acoustic sensor operator’s function from air combat systems officers (formerly known as air navigators), as well as duties operating unmanned aerial vehicle electronic sensor systems.

Directorate of Air Personnel’s Lieutenant-Colonel Donald Albert says even without these occupational changes, being an AES Op offers a diverse, evergreen working environment. “Technology keeps changing and you work as part of a team,” he says, “so you must be mentally flexible to do this job.”

Sergeant Jay Krzywonos, a 17 Wing Winnipeg AES Op instructor, agrees. “When I was in the Navy and a Sea King was embarked, I had a glimpse of how exciting and challenging this job is,” he says. “Now, in just more than two years, I’ve been involved in patrols off the west coast, several large naval exercises in San Diego, medical evacuations, and a tour of the Arabian Gulf. I also had the opportunity to work with the RCMP, the US and Canadian Coast Guard, and other government agencies. It’s exciting and rewarding at the same time.”

If that’s not enough, the operators’ working environment will be modernized, too. Delivery of the new Cyclone helicopters to replace the Sea Kings is scheduled to begin in late 2010.

Of course, the perks aren’t bad, either. “The travel has to be one of the more attractive aspects of the job,” says Sgt Chris Culligan, an AES Op instructor at 17 Wing Winnipeg. “They can range in duration from a couple of days to a few months. I have visited the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Curacao and El Salvador, among others.”

With this kind of excitement, who wouldn’t want to be an AES Op?

12-03-12.jpg

Definitely not a desk job

Airborne electronic sensor operators (AES Ops) operate airborne sensors on different types of aircraft, including the CP-140 Aurora, using advanced electronic sensor systems to counter threats to Canada’s sovereignty.

They are responsible for detecting and tracking submarines, supporting search and rescue operations and MEDEVACs, helping the Department of Fisheries with evidence collection and pollution violations, and working with the RCMP on counter-narcotics patrols.

The primary functions of an AES Op are:

operating radar, electro-optical infra-red systems, magnetic anomaly detection, and electronic warfare equipment;
planning and preparing for missions;
taking airborne photography;
loading and arming airborne weapons and search store systems;
operating the helicopter-mounted machine gun system;
communicating with internal and external agencies; and
collecting evidence.

“AES Ops are the eyes and ears of the long-range patrol fleet and have played pivotal roles in operations such as SHARP GUARD and APOLLO. They are constantly upgrading their technical knowledge through military, university and college courses because, on missions, there is no room for error. If you make a mistake, a mission can fail.”

—WO John Saunders

How to apply Personnel considering entering the AES Op occupation should have an interest in flying, enjoy working with electronic equipment and be able to quickly master new technologies.

All applicants are required to have a minimum Grade 12 education, with at least Grade 10 academic-level math. All candidates also need to pass aptitude, medical and physical fitness tests.

Members of the CF can apply by contacting a personnel selection officer and requesting an occupational transfer. Civilians can now apply through recruitment centres or by clicking on “Join Us” at www.forces.gc.ca.

Training
The nature of the AES Op job dictates constant learning. Once candidates go through a selection process, they start training comprising the Basic Military Qualification course, in Quebec, and Basic Military Occupation Training, in Ontario Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Once employed, AES Ops can bump up their skills with advanced and specialty education available through formal courses or on-the-job training.

EDITED TO FIX A GEOGRAPHICAL ERROR AS POINTED OUT BY CDN AVIATOR.

Nice articles, but there is something missing from the photos.  Can anyone guess?

That's right LRP stuff!

Now how are we supposed to attract people with Sea King photos?  >:D

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Nice articles, but there is something missing from the photos.  Can anyone guess?

That's right LRP stuff!

Now how are we supposed to attract people with Sea King photos?   >:D

Bring it to the attention of Stela Susic

>:D

Hi,

I read through the first 6 pages of this thread, then skipped to the last 4 pages for more up to date information and reading http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81524.0.html. Just have a couple questions. I took principles of math 11 ("smart" math with algebra and such) but that was a couple years ago now, though I could recall some things about it while I was doing practice aptitude tests, planning on going back to my high school and relearning that math, as a refresher course of sorts.

1. How high of a math score do you need on the test to be able to be considered for AESOp? ( have a conditional employment for AESOp right now)

And when I was talking to the recruiter he said in passing that I would be eligible for Air and Sea and Hazard allowance. I just want to make clear I was excited about this job before he mentioned this, seeing as how as long as I make enough to cover my mortgage I'm happy.

2. So if you were posted to a sea king that was "attached" to a ship, would that mean you would get both air and sea allowance? or just one? ( I read through the allowance thread but couldn't find answer to that)

Kenyan said:
2. So if you were posted to a sea king that was "attached" to a ship, would that mean you would get both air and sea allowance? or just one? ( I read through the allowance thread but couldn't find answer to that)

Once you are qualifed in the Maritime Helicopter world (Sea King/Cyclone in the future) and posted to a MH Sqn/HelAirDet, you would get both Air Crew and Sea Duty allowances.

Kenyan said:
1. How high of a math score do you need on the test to be able to be considered for AESOp? ( have a conditional employment for AESOp right now)

Very high.

Sigh, well I'll start cracking the books open tomorrow. Things arent looking good for aesop position then, I was decent in math but was never an A student. Whatever I'll try my best and see what happens.

Back