• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Experience in our Trg System

I asked to get posted to Kingston for that reason, but i was told that it wasn't a place for Infantry Sgt's. I think there's time for alittle change to that thinkin.

The curriculum for PLQ has already been overhauled to conform to the kind of ops that are ongoing these days.  I think that there's still the patrolling and section level battle drills (just good basic skills), but the days of digging in for a week have been replaced mostly with urban ops.

From a trade perspective, we've pretty much ditched bridging, mine laying, and reserved demolitions, and we're going really heavily into CMD, EOD search, countermine and such.  That and being such a small trade, you're not going to find that many NCO's who haven't been on ops in the last 3 years or so.

Good topic.

One of the things that I have observed in the process of getting pers ready to go out the door is that there is insufficient training time devoted to "real" TMST (aggressive driving, true negotiation in Pashtu with an interpreter, local culture and Islam etc). We are getting better at focusing as we get closer to deployment; however, there is still a lot to be done.

How about joint ops? How about all-arms call for fire (done live, to build confidence in ones ability to adjust fire?) How about all-arms helo gunship directing? How about aerial delivery for your CSS pers? The US have have been using CDS drops quite extensively, and I see that we have started to use them now too. Right now, the technical skills for aerial delivery are pretty thin on the ground.

I think that the overall idea of what is being posted in this thread is the right one. I would love to see people from the last couple of tours co-opted to a TMST writing board to change the basic TMST program (PSTC, LOAC, Pay and Benefits et al in addition to whatever we THINK we might need) to something that reflects what was needed in theater.

In my opinion, we cannot get enough shooting, driving, medical training, and comms skills imparted to EVERYONE. Everyone has to know basic trauma medicine (not just the medics), and everyone has to know basic troubleshooting on all the radios used in theater. You're in a sad boat if all you have is a SATCOM to call for help with, and you have no idea how to operate it.

Then, once we have this new TMST package, I think that the returning unit should be responsible for training the next unit to go (once disembarkation leave is complete). This will give the most current info at the unit level, and as things get closer to deployment, reverse TAVs from in theater should be brought in to put the polish on. These reverse TAVs should be at the Section, Pl, and Coy level, with each speciality that is deployed being represented.

Finally, once the new unit is ready to go, the training unit should be able to offer postings to schools to the people who have just completed training the departing unit. In this manner we will have:

1. Given the departing unit the most current training possible
2. Kept the returning unit together as much as possible to allow them to "come down" from their tour
3. Given people the chance to see if they really want to be teaching full time at a school, rather than having them posted either against their will, or before they really understand what will be required of them.

Any thoughts?

1.  They do.
2.  +1
3.  10

More trigger time and more aggressive driving regardless of when we are going oversea's

I think the experience should stay at the units to train for upcoming operations.

Basic and subsequent trades training teach basic skills. Personally, I would rather train to take out a large, organized modernized force and adapt that training to conditions, then only get a piece of the training I need at the time.

Select and maintain the aim

rifleman said:
Basic and subsequent trades training teach basic skills.
What about leadership training?

There needs to be a balance of experience staying in the units & getting out into the headquarters & training establishments.  The quality of our soldiers and leaders is dependant on the training we've given them (even in the "basics").

The point was raised that the troops going over need more trigger time when shooting from weapons platforms mounted on moving veh's. I can say that in Shilo the boys that just left for tour didn't have any time shooting while moving on the RWS and there were no live shoots with the GSK's either. Guys on their way back have said that elarning to shoot on the move and even learning to use the spotlight while on the move are skills that should be cultivate while here.

I have a question for anyone with access to the knowledge ...

How fast can the Infantry turn actual experience from theater into lessons learned, and then into doctrine? I can gues what the paper answer is but I would like to know actual flash to bang before I start slaggin' the lethargic system for prepping our troops for the last battle again and again (re:The ever changing MASTER Threat Model ... I think it is still ebing based on Haiti) :threat:

I'm a little too close to the process, but there is a process.  The information has been flowing back.  Whether it has made big changes I cannot say.

friendly advice.
spell check/proof read
fill out your profile a bit more

I have raised similiar questions on trigger time (not sure if it was in a private venue or not).

eeyore063,

I agree with whats-his-name above. ;)  Sounds like a question to ask in your unit smoking area, not so much here.

Well, back to the issue
MCG said:
What about leadership training?

There needs to be a balance of experience staying in the units & getting out into the headquarters & training establishments.  The quality of our soldiers and leaders is dependant on the training we've given them (even in the "basics").

Remember that lessons learned are from the 'last'  battle and don't necessarily belong in doctrine. Some of the issues could be addressed in pre-training for an operation at the unit.

What I have a problem with is what do the troops have to know that aren't taught in the schools? Besides the usual I know better than the guys who went before me. I do agree that the scenarios could be updated but the training is not neccessarily changed.

Gentlemen,

WRT "flash-to-bang", I think that that is a function of what the upcoming unit wants to train with, and what they have time to implement. I know that for the PRT R0, we had Army LL guys visit us in theater about 3-4 months in, and they took a lot back with them. I also know that many PORs (both US and Canadian format) were submitted immediately upon return, and that video TTPs where we did live fire demos were circulated to both the BG that replaced us, and to the units back here ramping up.

At present I do not know of a system that "forces" training units to respond to LL or the PORs, but I do know that they are readily available. I also know that units Ops Os actively seek that kind of info whenever they can get it.

I think that some of this is a "grass is always greener" syndrome (when you have an engagement, if it was not something that had been foreseen and trained for it sticks out in your mind a lot more than something you had prepared for specifically), and also a case of there not being sufficient time or equipment to fully train the way that we want to. There are very few NYALAs in Canada at present, and as far as I know very few GSKs and up armoured G-wagens. Specific skills are always hard to maintain to the desired level without unlimited ammo/time.

The biggest thing that we can do to prepare (in my opinion) is prepare people mentally for what they will face. Specific responses to situations will always change, since the Taliban are constantly reacting to us. If, however, we can inculcate the proper viewpoint in the soldiers and leaders as to how to think their way through a situation, they will be far better prepared to react to the unforeseen. I am a firm believer of teaching people how to prepare themselves for noise, confusion, and incomplete information; checklists always backfire.

APOLLOVet said:
I am a firm believer of teaching people how to prepare themselves for noise, confusion, and incomplete information
a principle firmly adhered to in 3 PPCLI O Grps!  ;D

APOLLOVet said:
Gentlemen,

...The biggest thing that we can do to prepare (in my opinion) is prepare people mentally for what they will face. Specific responses to situations will always change, since the Taliban are constantly reacting to us. If, however, we can inculcate the proper viewpoint in the soldiers and leaders as to how to think their way through a situation, they will be far better prepared to react to the unforeseen. I am a firm believer of teaching people how to prepare themselves for noise, confusion, and incomplete information; checklists always backfire...

That I can agree with, I loved the why statement in training being "so you know how to use your rifle and can pass the PWT" thats not it, the reason is so you can kill what you want to kill. This goes as far as explaining to leadership candidates that their inability to grasp the concepts in training don't just cause the member to fail but gets his troops killed. Training should be done in the field as much as possible.

Gunner said:
Schools should teach within doctrinal guidelines as our doctrine should not be that different from what is going on overseas.  TTPs are a different story and instructor's with recent cbt experience will hopefully bring something new and fresh to the table...until the next rotation of soldiers return from overseas with updated TTP's, etc, etc.  As someone much wiser than I stated, you are only as current as the last day you were in theatre.  The theatre will continue to evolve and our response (our TTP's) will evolve with it.

Cant say how it is for the infantry anymore, but in my old trade, and in many others, the course doctrine and what was needed for overseas work were often two different things.  Despite lessons learned and valid experiences, these have to be entered into a system of recomendations before being accepted as part of new doctrine, a process that can take years without high-level influence and support.   

Lessons Learned reports go from theatre to Canada on a weekly basis (sometimes more) on a variety of topics.  They get looked at by folks in Canada and some recommendations may be incorporated into doctrine, training and other areas.  At a minimum, they give the Army a look at what is going on.  If you know where to look you can find some of them (go to the LLKW).  Classification hinders dissemination somewhat, but that is the reality. 

Bring lots of ammo and water, practice your all arms call for fire and remember that the 25mm and 155mm are your friends. 

Back