• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghan Medals Process (merged)

Hi Teddy,

Your right, he got the peacekeeping one from when he was in Bosnia, in total he has five and I had to take a look and figure it out.  Two from Bosnia, one is his CD, and two from Afghanistan.

Hmmm.....speaking of Gen Leslie, How is he doing? I met him when my husband worked for him in Toronto.....he is a really great guy!

CFSOW said:
Your right, he got the peacekeeping one from when he was in Bosnia, in total he has five and I had to take a look and figure it out.  Two from Bosnia, one is his CD, and two from Afghanistan.

Thought so...  ;D

2Bravo said:
At least you save on the miniatures.  Eight bucks is eight bucks!

Miniatures only cost $8 - the tailor shop out here is selling them for $21.75 (court mounted).

Someone pick me up a mounted CD miniature for under $10 and I will pay for the shipping.

Off-Topic, but about the miniatures:
I was quoted a price for each medal which ranged from $14 to $22, then was told $8 each to mount.
Grand total for 4 miniature medals: $107

I'll have to check your link
Shadow

swasm, cd, gcs...  got'em..couple times over.  No new medals, but got new stories and friends.  Easy to make due.  I personally don't care much about medals, but those that inadvertently make even more of a sacrifice (injured) certainly deserve more than a stripe.  Aside from my respect and admiration.  ..and a beer anytime. 

The "issues" with the GCS are found here

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47547.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25911.0.html
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34051.0.html

nadeau.jms said:
What about soldiers having already served in Kabul and who return to Afghanistan in the Kandahar region?  They won’t receive any other decoration!
Well it is the same mission (Op ATHENA).  What of the soldiers that did Op APOLLO and OP ARCHER with only one medal to show for the both of them? 

Regardless, I do not think spamming the Ombudsman's office is a helpfull idea.

+1

How is this a legitimate complaint that the Ombudsman can address?

Honours and awards are within the purview of the Governor General's office, not DND.  The Ombudsman isn't going to help your cause.

nadeau.jms said:
Good point. By the way, my letter concerns anybody who has served more than one ROTO in a region and has gotten no distinction for it. e.i; OP APOLLO/ARCHER.  But I still believe the Canadian decoration system is inapropriate.  I respect the ones who don't care about medals they receive.  But I really think they should support and try to change things for the ones who do care.  

I find what you are doing very inappropriate.  It makes you, if not your husband also, out to be a 'glory hound' or someone who needs a large collection of trinkets to prove who they are.  To ask, or insinuate, that others who do not feel the same way as you come out to support your cause is also very distasteful in my eyes.  I would also say that your interpretation of the Awards System is not accurate.  There were numerous medals awarded for those who served in WW II in the various theatres.  They did not receive more than one medal for their time in that theatre in the way that you are alluding to.  Your motives seem very vain to me.  It seems quite selfish, self-centered to be so covetous of these awards.  

nadeau.jms said:
Well, ask these soldiers if they would be willing to bear the cost of a decoration honouring their efforts.  Their answer would be a resonning YES!
No thanks.

My medal broke on rememberance day. Not sure if I'm really motivated to pay to get it fixed any time soon.

What utter tripe this whining about "lack of recognition" is.

My grandfather spent 3 years in Europe, without an HLTA...imagine that!! He was awarded the European Star. He did not get a new medal for each different mission or location. Whether in France, Germany, or Holland....just one medal. For 3 years, some men were there longer. They do not wear numerals to denote each 6 months of service in that particular theatre; If so, my grandfathers medal would be adorned with the numeral 6.

Recognize this, your husband has a medal on his chest. He has been recognized. Get over it.

Hey Librarian
WWII was different from now.  Whereas I have two medals for one op (UNFICYP and CPSM), in WWII, there were a hockey sock of them.  Defence Medal (for service in the UK), CVSM (aka "everybody got one"), the Volunteer Service Medal.  Clasp for serving overseas.  Then, following the war, the 39-45 star to denote service in an operational theatre during that time.  Then, various theatres of operations got stars as well.  Your grandfather likely got the France and Germany star.  Members of 1 Can Div god the Italy star.  I also believe there was a "victory" medal.
My great uncle received three medals for service in World War One:
War Medal
Victory Medal
Military Medal (for his actions in 1918 during an attack).  I have these medals.  I have never shot my rifle in anger, and I have five.  My great uncle was fatally wounded in a gas attack in 1918 and died some three years later.
Medals are nice and all, but in the words of Sgt Rolf Steiner "(they are) just a hunk of worthless metal"

Who cares? A medal is a medal! The numerals would'nt be a bad idea in my book but again, as long as you know where you were and what you did what does it matter?

Now all I have to do is try and get my SWASM mounted backwards with the hydra showing! ;)

Now all I have to do is try and get my SWASM mounted backwards with the hydra showing!

Brilliant. I've got to admit, the back of the SWASM is really well done, In my humble opinion.

~RoKo~ said:
Now all I have to do is try and get my SWASM mounted backwards with the hydra showing!

Brilliant. I've got to admit, the back of the SWASM is really well done, In my humble opinion.

Roko, I tried that...came back with "Auntie Liz" facing out... *sigh*  The reverse of the SWASM is very well done indeed!

G2G

Back