• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Afghanistan heating up

Armymedic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Mentor
Reaction score
Two stories along the same theme...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/05/15/afghan.protests.reut/

Clerics threaten holy war over alleged Quran desecrations
Sunday, May 15, 2005 Posted: 7:33 AM EDT (1133 GMT)

FAIZABAD, Afghanistan (Reuters) -- A group of Afghan Muslim clerics have threatened to call for a holy war against the United States in three days unless it hands over military interrogators reported to have desecrated the Quran.

The warning on Sunday came after 16 Afghans were killed and more than 100 hurt last week in the worst anti-U.S. protests across the country since U.S. forces invaded in 2001 to oust the Taliban for sheltering Osama bin Laden and his al Qaeda network.

The clerics in the northeastern province of Badakhshan said they wanted U.S. President George W. Bush to handle the matter honestly "and hand the culprits over to an Islamic country for punishment."

"If that does not happen within three days, we will launch a jihad against America," said a statement issued by about 300 clerics, referring to Muslim holy war, after meeting in the main mosque in the provincial capital, Faizabad.

The statement was read out by Abdul Fatah Fayeq, the top judicial official in the mountainous, conservative province near the borders of Tajikistan and China.

Muslim clerics have traditionally been teachers and leaders in Afghan society and throughout its history they have rallied public opinion and sometimes led uprisings against unpopular rulers and foreign occupiers.

Newsweek magazine said in its May 9 edition investigators probing abuses at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay found that interrogators "had placed Qurans on toilets, and in at least one case flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Muslims consider the Quran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.

The United States has tried to calm global Muslim outrage over the incident, saying disrespect for the Quran was abhorrent and would not be tolerated, and military authorities were investigating the allegation.

Growing protests
Another group of clerics in the north demanded punishment for those responsible for desecrating the Quran but did not call for holy war, the governor of Kunduz province said.

The protests began in the eastern city of Jalalabad on Tuesday. Violence broke out there on Wednesday and there were clashes in several other places on Thursday and Friday.

Scattered protests on Saturday were mostly peaceful, while on Sunday no demonstrations were reported.

While some Afghan analysts say Muslim rage over the desecration report sparked the protests, not hatred of America, there is growing resentment of U.S. troops, especially in southeastern areas where they are most active.

The United States commands a foreign force in Afghanistan of about 18,300, most of them American, fighting Taliban insurgents and hunting militant leaders, including bin Laden.

President Hamid Karzai, a staunch U.S. ally, has urged the United States to punish anyone found guilty of desecrating the Quran. He said foreign hands were behind the disturbances, but did not identify them.

The anti-U.S. protesters have also criticized Karzai and his U.S.-backed government, attacking and torching provincial offices and police stations as well as U.N. and aid agency compounds.

And...

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/story.jsp?story=638522

In Afghanistan, the Taliban rises again for fighting season
Instead of fizzling out, the rebels are staging their annual spring resurgence with a surprising new spirit, writes Nick Meo from Kabul. This wasn't what US military planners were expecting
15 May 2005

American soldiers in the mountain valley of Deh Chopan expect to be targeted by an unseen enemy. But the amateurish hit-and-run attacks of the Taliban - wildly fired rockets and mistimed roadside bombs - rarely inflict casualties. It was a shock, then, when a patrol was ambushed a fortnight ago with rocket-propelled grenades and sustained small arms fire. Six Americans were wounded. Two had their legs blown off. Two more were wounded badly enough to require evacuation to Germany for surgery.

The outcome of the ferocious five-hour battle was predictable enough - withering air power obliterated the Americans' enemies - but not before a US unit had suffered serious casualties and was forced to fall back before a determined enemy assault. A couple of days later nine Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers died when they were ambushed by machine-gun fire as they got down from a truck in Kandahar province - the newly formed ANA's worst-ever combat loss. Then two US marines were killed in a cave where they had insurgents pinned down.

This wasn't what US military planners were expecting at the start of this spring's "fighting season" when the snow thaws in the mountains. After all, Afghanistan is supposed to be the war that the American military has won. The official emphasis has changed from combat operations to "hearts and minds" programmes.

Then, over the freezing Afghan winter, there were few attacks, leading to talk from the Kabul government and US military that the Taliban were short of recruits and low on morale. Soon, went the word, their commanders would be joining the amnesty set up to lure tired fighters in from the mountains. This programme is the hoped-for endgame after three and a half years of desultory guerrilla warfare which has tied down 18,000 US combat troops and cost the Pentagon more than $10bn ( £5.4bn) a year. The military is desperate to scale down troop numbers after September's parliamentary elections and hand over to Afghan forces and the 5,000 British troops who arrive at the end of this year.

That plan may now need a rethink. Instead of fizzling out, the Taliban have staged what has become a now-annual spring resurgence, and with a surprising new fighting spirit. Particularly worrying are signs that al-Qa'ida may once again be taking an interest in the war in Afghanistan. Since their rout in 2001 and the fall of their Taliban allies, the Arab and Chechen fighters loyal to Osama bin Laden seem to have concentrated efforts on Iraq, or simply on survival in the tribal belt of Pakistan. Now there are fears that surviving elements may be trying to open a second front to Iraq. Fighting spirit has been rare among the Afghan recruits from the religious schools, the boys the Taliban fling into battle usually to be slaughtered. But this year their ranks seem to have been reinforced by more experienced and more determined men.

The soldiers at Deh Chopan found evidence of that. When they had finished combing through the body parts of their enemies, among the 44 dead were Chechens and Pakistanis, feared al-Qa'ida fighters. Other reports indicate that more sophisticated tactics are being used and that new weapons are being smuggled in over the Pakistan border. When a Romanian soldier was killed near Kandahar last month it was a modern anti-tank mine that blew up his armoured personnel carrier, not an improvised bomb or one of the old Soviet landmines that frequently don't work.

Further north along the Pakistan border, near Khost, the war hasbecome a hot one - human waves of Taliban fighters launch night assaults against the fortified bases of an Afghan mercenary force recruited by the CIA. Those insurgents are under the command of an old warlord with links to Saudi Arabia - Jalaluddin Haqqani - whose Pakistan-based operations seem to have received a new infusion of Gulf money.

The capital, Kabul, has also seen a revival in terrorism. An apparent suicide bomb attack on a Kabul internet café popular with foreigners killed a UN employee and terrified foreign aid workers and diplomats. Then the worst anti-US riots since the fall of the Taliban devastated eastern Afghanistan last week. Seven died, aid agency buildings were burnt and looted, causing millions of dollars of damage.

Orchestrated as they may have been, the riots showed a new mood of anti-Americanism which will worry the US military and the Kabul government. The flashpoint for the protests were claims that the Koran had been desecrated during an interrogation at Guantanamo Bay, but the agitators found a willing following among Afghans angry with America. US commanders still insist they are winning in Afghanistan. In briefings they claim that Afghans who are sick of the war increasingly come forward with information about insurgent activity.

The tone has changed in recent months, however, with the outgoing US commander, General David Barno, warning of the danger of "terrorist spectaculars" and of a hard core of Taliban who would not surrender but fight on as a "wholly owned al-Qa'ida subsidiary".

The US military machine cannot really be damaged by a low-level insurgency that refuses to die, and US forces suffer nothing like the terrible casualty figures in Iraq. But increasingly it looks less and less as if the US military has won and more and more as if GIs are bogged down in a guerrilla war that threatens to go on for years to come.

:cdn:

Bold print is my emphasis to point out changes of tactics that have occured since the spring thaw.

comments?

So far I don't see or hear too much that isn't pretty common for the end of the winter weather and the start of the campaign season for the bad guys. The violence is occurring more or less where it always has-the southeastern provinces near the Pak border, and seems to involve more or less the same crowd. The demonstration in Kabul is a bit unusual, but when you see the numbers it was pretty small and tame. Worse has happened in any US or Canadian city with a university riot. The events in Badakshan are a bit surprising: that was a dead quiet province the whole time I was there (it has a fairly small population and no real city), but again it shares a border with Pakistan and is a possible infiltration route as it is ISAF territory and thus very poorly controlled (the nearest presence is miles away at Kunduz).

The bad guys remain dangerous in Afghanistan, which is why we need proper military forces there not a UN clown act. But, things don't seem to be at "panic stations" yet-Afghanistan is a  devout Muslim nation  in some areas, but IMHO it is also a pragmatic Muslim nation: fundamentalism is not popular outside of the southeast, and the Taliban is widely hated. Afghanistan is definitely not Iraq.

Cheers.

Just when you think things are on the right path... this pisses me off.
We spent all that time with our allies trying to rebuild the country, and because of some rednecks treating prisoners like trash, the country could potentially drop back into chaos and we're back to square one with troops getting car bombed.

On a related topic, there are rumors LFAA was planning to send 300+ reservists to A-stan for 2006-2007.However, im sure that plan will change with the current developments.

military interrogators reported to have desecrated the Quran.
handle the matter honestly "and hand the culprits over to an Islamic country for punishment."

Quote from Jmackenzie,
and because of some rednecks treating prisoners like trash

...just can't resist getting that cheap shot in at the Americans, can you?
If you feel the need to be an idiot, why not try it on something proven and/or convicted people?

I have no doubt in my mind the prisoners at guantanomo are being treated as rumored.
Its not a cheap shot if its true.They have alot of idiots in their military.We have alot in ours.Ie, somalia.

"If you feel the need to be an idiot, why not try it on something proven and/or convicted people?"

I'm sure all these allegations over the past decade are all just being concocted by teenagers over the internet to give the cuban prison a bad name.Its really a very nice place.I went there for spring break.

An by the way.... see what happens when stupid people believe everything they see on the internet?

<a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/international/asia/15cnd-afghan.html?hp&ex=1116216000&en=c35729128bc1194e&ei=5094&partner=homepage>Newsweek Says Koran Report Might Have Been Wrong</a>

By REUTERS
Published: May 15, 2005

WASHINGTON, May 15 - Newsweek magazine on Sunday said it may have erred in a May 9 report that said U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to victims of deadly violence sparked by the article.

The weekly news magazine said in its May 23 edition that the original source of the allegation was not sure where he saw the assertion that at least one copy of the Koran was flushed down a toilet in an attempt to get detainees to talk.

"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's latest issue, due to appear on U.S. newsstands on Monday.

The report has sparked angry and violent protests across the Muslim world from Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan to Indonesia to Gaza.

On Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States in three days unless it handed over the interrogators in question.

The May 9 report quoted unnamed sources as saying that military investigators probing abuse at the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, found that interrogators had placed copies of the Koran on toilets and "in at least one case, flushed a holy book down the toilet."

Newsweek said a Pentagon spokesman told the magazine late last week that the story was wrong and that the military has found no credible evidence to support separate allegations of Koran desecration made by released detainees.

The U.S. military opened an investigation into the charges while top U.S. officials urged Muslims to resist calls for violence, stating disrespect for the holy book would not be tolerated.

The Afghani and US goverments should go after Newsweek for damages. I bet that would make the media think twice before reporting possible false info.

The media no doubt plays a huge role in people's opinions, and it really sucks when the media spouts off information that MIGHT be true, and reports it as if it were actual fact.  They need to remember they have a huge influence on public opinion, and need to maintain a certain standard of professionalism and truth in their reporting.

However, there are enough rumours going around about Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - that would have me believe things aren't as peachy clean as the US government states.  And, not trying to fuel the fire - but if you believe everything the US government says, then your just a moron.  And no, Bruce Monkhouse, I'm not taking a cheap shot at the Americans - but there are enough rumours going around about Guantanamo Bay - reinforced by factual events that took place at Abu Ghaaib (sp??) - that would have me believe some things are going on there that wouldn't be approved of.

Its too bad stuff like this is even an issue.  Desecrate a Quran?  Pathetic.  Religious or not, anybody who desecrates a holy text from any culture is seriously lacking in respect.  I understand that the military intelligence guys might have to think of stressful situations, and awkward situations - to say the least - in order to get some information they may need.  But for the sake of their own humanity, don't go around desecrating Qurans and holy texts.

(Again, for all of you who build their argument on "Stop bashing the Americans" - I'm not bashing them.  But, I'm not naive enough to sit around thinking everything is squeaky clean and honourable at Guantanamo Bay, just because the US government says so).

jmackenzie_15 said:
I have no doubt in my mind the prisoners at Guantanamo are being treated as rumored.

The editors in Newsweek didn't have a doubt either....they just lacked actual proof. And they also lacked the common sense not to print it until they had proof.

CBH99 said:
However, there are enough rumours going around about Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - that would have me believe things aren't as peachy clean as the US government states.   And, not trying to fuel the fire - but if you believe everything the US government says, then your just a moron.   And no, Bruce Monkhouse, I'm not taking a cheap shot at the Americans - but there are enough rumours going around about Guantanamo Bay - reinforced by factual events that took place at Abu Ghaaib (sp??) - that would have me believe some things are going on there that wouldn't be approved of.
And this is the kind of public opinion that Newsweek was counting on...enough people would believe that thier version of the truth was fact and cause a scandal.
Instead thier reporting has inflamed an undelying religous fever, and cause people here to be injured and killed.

(Again, for all of you who build their argument on "Stop bashing the Americans" - I'm not bashing them.  But, I'm not naive enough to sit around thinking everything is squeaky clean and honourable at Guantanamo Bay, just because the US government says so).
While it would be foolish to completely believe as you stated, it would be equally naive to believe everything bad you heard and assume it is gospel as well....

If nothing else this Newsweek controversy highlights that well....

Quotes from CBH99,
However, there are enough rumours going around about Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
that would have me believe some things are going on there that wouldn't be approved of.

...and using that GREAT ::) theory I went surfing last night and found out that 30,000 Jewish people left the twin towers just an hour before the planes hit and, ...oh yea, Elvis isn't really dead. :blotto:, he's just laying back watching that compound interest.......

I mean there's enough rumours going around........

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1116238425043_30/?hub=TopStories

oooop's

Any one, of any nationality, who were injured or killed [ family on thier behalf] should now go together on a class action suit against Newsweek, nothing like the smell of money to bring cultures together.

Let me clarify for a second here: Newsweek has not issued a retraction or admitted an error in reporting, they are merely saying that the facts are uncertain, and that they have no conclusive proof.  I see two possibilities, one, the fellow who wrote the original report wasn't expecting such a massive response and is issueing a pre-emptive CYA statement in the event that the allegations turn out to be false, or two, it's a Pentagon cover-up. I personally lean towards the former theory. Honestly, would any one of us Westerners have expected this kind of violent backlash? So he flushed a few pages of a book down the toilet, to us, it's a BOOK, property of the US DoD, who cares?

Yes, I know(now) that the Qu'ran is not just a book but the literal word of Allah, I'm not allowed to read it on the can and all that, so leave me off the jihad list please..

Newspapers will print controversial and upsetting stories because itll create a buzz and theyll get more business.Theres no such thing as bad publicity.

Regardless, its far too late for apologies.All they needed was another excuse to hate the americans and they handed them one.
I read somewhere there were like 300 muslim clerics backing the holy war.If thats true, alot of work in a-stan just went down the toilet.

S_Baker said:
Check out the middle of page 13 of this training document

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/manualpart1_1.pdf

for some reason the link will not work from inside the post.   It is posted on the US department of Justice Website.   It comes from the UK, where it was found.

Thank you for that S_Baker, looks like I have some insightful reading to pass the time with.

CFL said:
could you cut and paste the text?

Quoted text below...

UK/BM-12 TRANSLATION
Principles of Military Organization:
Military Organization has three main principles without which it
cannot be established.
1. Military Organization commander and advisory council
2. The soldiers (individualmembers)
3. A clearly defined strategy

Military Organization Requirements:
The Military Organization dictates a number of requirements to
assist it in confrontation and endurance. These are:
1. Forged documents and counterfeit currency
2. Apartments and hiding places
3. Communication means
4. Transportation means
5. Information
6. Arms and ammunition
7. Transport

Missions Required of the Military Organization:
The main mission for which the Military Organization is
responsible is:
The overthrow of the godless regimes and their replacement with
an Islamic regime.
Other missions consist of the following:
1. Gathering information about the enemy, the land, the
installations, and the neighbors.
2. Kidnaping enemy personnel, documents, secrets, and arms.
3. Assassinating enemy personnel as well as foreign tourists.
4. Freeing the brothers who are captured by the enemy.
5. Spreading rumors and writing statements that instigate people against the enemy.
6. Blasting and destroying the places of amusement, immorality,
and sin; not a vital target.
7. Blasting and destroying the embassies and attacking vital economic centers.
8. Blasting and destroying bridges leading into and out of the cities.

For those who are interested, the manual S_Baker posted is part 1 in a 4 part series AQ training manual, I have compiled them all in to one pdf document..PM me for a copy of the complete version.

Well it looks like they HAVE retracted the story.....
http://www.startribune.com/stories/1576/5406678.html

Newsweek Retracts Qur'an story
Associated Press
May 16, 2005

NEW YORK â ” Newsweek magazine, under fire for publishing a story that led to deadly protests in Afghanistan, said Monday it was retracting its report that a military probe had found evidence of desecration of the Qur'an by U.S. interrogators at Guantanamo Bay.
Earlier Monday, presidential spokesman Scott McClellan had criticized Newsweek's initial response to the incident, saying it was "puzzling.''
Newsweek had reported in its issue dated May 9 that U.S. military investigators had found evidence that interrogators placed copies of Islam's holy book in washrooms and had flushed one down the toilet to get inmates to talk.

Newsweek acknowledged problems with the story and its editor, Mark Whitaker, apologized in an editor's note in this week's edition. The accusations spawned protests in Afghanistan that left 15 dead and scores injured.
Whitaker wrote in an editor's note that "We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst.''
But after the White House criticized Newsweek's response to the story, Whitaker released a statement later Monday through a spokesman saying the magazine was retracting the story.
"Based on what we know now, we are retracting our original story that an internal military investigation had uncovered Qur'an abuse at Guantanamo Bay,'' Whitaker said

Back