• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
I wanted to steer clear of co-op programs in high school because while in high school you have to get certain credits, and in order to get these credits you have to take specific courses...I don't want to run the risk of having to go through a 5th year of high school because "oops!  I took co-op and forget to get my final art credit" or whatever.

Maybe in grade 12 when I'll have almost all my credits and know for sure my diploma won't be in jeopardy then I'll check in to army co-op during the last few days of grade 11 in order to have it set up for grade 12. 

Could I go co-op from just being on the reserve?  Assuming I do join the reserve sometime this year could I next year go army co-op?

I joined when I was 16, and I have never looked back. That was in 1976. Joining at a younger age just means by the time you are 21, you'll have 5 yrs in.

Best of luck in whatever you do.

Cheers,

Wes

skura said:
Speaking of joining early...would I be able to join in the middle of my grade 11 year, understanding fully of what I'm getting myself in to?
Ya, you can join in your 11th year, as long as you're 16, and you meet all the requirements.  I'm kind of torn about what to do...If I go navy (Which I will if I do the reserves), my sister's going to be in charge of the office...I really don't want to salute her :salute: :p

I've asked this question in another forum and don't seem to be getting the responce I'm looking for, and since this thread is right up it's ally I think I'll ask it here as well and hopefully get the responce I'm looking for;

What would someone like me, who has no military training / experience at all do on the reserves on the weekends and days off of school?

I checked out the Canadian Army website and even searched for what I would be doing training as an infranteer and it still didn't tell me what I would be doing, I even emailed the CFRC in Toronto and asked him what I'd be doing on the reserves with no training and didn't get an answer...so if someone can fill me in that'd be great

Well...Before my sister went on her BOTC, she usually only went once a week, and on some weekends.  The people in her unit helped her out lots.  They taught her how to march, fall in, and just do basic duties.  So to answer your question...They don't do a whole lot, especially if you're NCM.  It also depends on your unit.  You'll probably only be there on parade nights.  Keep in mind...This is just what I've gathered through my parents telling my sister, and my sister telling me.  I still haven't decided if I want to join the reserves this year and go away next summer...We'll have to see.  Maybe I'll see you next summer in Borden.

As you say, it does depend on your unit...

Anyone interested in joining any reserve do a google search on it...odds are it has its own website...

I posted what I planned on doing in the recruiting forum under "Paratrooper Tranin, help me out here" or w/e the thread is called...so far no ones replied to it telling me theres something wrong with my plan so I think I'm all set on what I'm going to be doing from now until I enlist....

ya man, army reserve co-op is a real good idea,if u ahve all ur credits u get three credits and three grand also your bmq course under ur belt. if you can do it go for it, the only reason i am not doing it is because i got on to a course in november on the weekends and i dont want to wait an extra six months to start a course. it is something to think about.

16 is fine to join up, just that it takes the right kind of kid. They gotta be in shape, not have any authority issues, and be mature/disciplined. they also gotta be able to fend for themselves. Im 16 and i've entered the co-op course at my highschool. Im used to doing things for myself at home (got a job at a butcher shop, parents could be either at work or out at camp). 16 isnt necessarily too young. in fact it could be just the thing that saves alot of futures.

I know the British Army has had problems with young recruits.  Of the suspicious deaths on base that they have had in the past ten years, the majority of the dead and the suspects were under 20.

That said, I know some 16 year olds who would be fine in the army.

I've seen a great number of 16 year old recruits in the past few years. Some have the tools to make it, some don't. If you've never been away from home, never looked after yourself and your stuff (read: cleaning clothes etc), then BMQ/SQ is not the place to start. A year in the Cadets with a summer camp down range might be a better starting point as it teaches some of the basics. Getting homesick on BMQ/SQ and being RTU'd because of it is not the way to start one's career.

CF104,

the co-op program is a 2 credit course offered at many highschools across the country. basically you spend the afternoons of every day for 1 semester being a reserve soldier. you are paid for being in the course and you will also recieve 2 credits for your venture. however, from my experience with the application process, it is long and not exactly the easiest thing to go through. first off, you must be 16 years of age, and have 16 highschool credits. that is just to be eligable to apply. then you need to pick up an application package from your recruiting office or even your student services office at your highschool. you must complete the written application and return it to the recruiting office and if you did the application right, you can make an appointment to go and do the testing process. this includes the CFAT, a physical fitness test, and an interview with a recruiting officer. then you will be subject to a quick medical examination where they test your hearing, eye sight, etc. after all that is completed and you passed the tests to begin with, your medical information is sent away for further processing and about 5 to 6 weeks later you recieve word on if you were accepted. then not long after you are assigned to a reserve unit.

I was 16 when I joined the QOR. They made me toast the birthday of the Regiment in the Officer's Mess. They said it was tradition for the youngest to give the toast and thank the officers for letting the recruits in for a drink. I was never so nervous. Incidentally, is this a common tradition for other regiments?

desjardins said:
CF104,

the co-op program is a 2 credit course offered at many highschools across the country. basically you spend the afternoons of every day for 1 semester being a reserve soldier. you are paid for being in the course and you will also recieve 2 credits for your venture. however, from my experience with the application process, it is long and not exactly the easiest thing to go through. first off, you must be 16 years of age, and have 16 highschool credits. that is just to be eligable to apply. then you need to pick up an application package from your recruiting office or even your student services office at your highschool. you must complete the written application and return it to the recruiting office and if you did the application right, you can make an appointment to go and do the testing process. this includes the CFAT, a physical fitness test, and an interview with a recruiting officer. then you will be subject to a quick medical examination where they test your hearing, eye sight, etc. after all that is completed and you passed the tests to begin with, your medical information is sent away for further processing and about 5 to 6 weeks later you recieve word on if you were accepted. then not long after you are assigned to a reserve unit.
Wow, I'd be better off just joining the reserves.  However...I'm not sure I want to join until after high school.  Not because I don't want to, but I've spent a lot of time and money on lifeguarding, and I don't want to let that go. 

About the co-op thing, I spoke to one of our coucellers about it and they said it was a 4 credit course. The co-op offered at my school was a 2 credit course and I'd have to transfer schools if i wanted to do it.

About the joining too young thing, I was thinking of quiting cadets and joining the reserves but I don't think Sqn could have afforded to loose me so I rethought what I wanted to do and this is what I came up with: Retire from cadets at 19 nicely decorated with a senior courses and staff positions probably on the survival side, then join the regs. What do you guys think about this? are there any reg force units that specialize in survival training? sorry if I offend anyone by speaking of my cadet career.

Go For it,
16 is not too young by a long shot.
My boddy jained a 16 and has gottan so fiar it's ambarassing to me   ;D

If you think about it, most people are still unsure of of what they want to do with the rest of their life at 16...I know people who figured out what they we're meant to do when they took a few college courses and liked what they were learning...

So if you know at 16 what you want to do, and there's no doubt in your mind that a few set backs or bumps in the road aren't gonna stop you, then despite the ney sayers, you continue to try to accomplish what you started and do what you we're meant to do...

That being said, there are other things to take in to account when you know what you want to do 16...such as your attitude, responsibility, your mental state etc., but hopefully you get my point :p

(I know I've said it about a gillion times on these forums so far, but I will be one of those 16 year olds on the reserves)

sgt_mandal said:
About the joining too young thing, I was thinking of quiting cadets and joining the reserves but I don't think Sqn could have afforded to loose me .

everyone is expendable, even you

Good for you. You know what you want and your going for it. My son is 16 and joined the PLF at the beginning of the summer. He's responsible and mature and will do well. I would rather have young men like him than some others who worked for me in the past.  Many were much older but had yet to grow up.

Best of Luck.

Back