• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Age Limits to Join

• Thread starter max_francis
  • Start date
The oldest person I've seen pass their QL3 course was 43. This was a technical trade that he was doing, but he was a stoker in the Navy and that requires him to do a lot of heavy lifting.

Its called the Canadian Forces,  they removed the armed part.

the oldest guy on my BIQ (infantry) course was 44.He did fine.

The oldest fellow I've ever seen on basic was 53, doing his CAP (R) training. He managed to finish it and I'm sure you'll have no difficulties either.

Good Luck!

I work with Ptes who are Grandparents (usually wives of RSMs(CWO) who are RSMs). One is 49 and she can outrun most of the 20 yr olds over 5 kms...

Armymedic said:
I work with Ptes who are Grandparents (usually wives of RSMs(CWO) who are RSMs). One is 49 and she can outrun most of the 20 yr olds over 5 kms...

Kind of takes the wind out of the saying "this isn't your grand daddy's army." Anyway, good on her! :salute: 

Dear Sirs and Madams,

Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my questions and concerns. I appreciate any and all helpful replies, as each one will be conducive to my hopeful future army career.

About Me...

My name is Andrew O'Brien and I am currently located in Mississauga, Ontario. I am 16 years old, and I meet all of the requirements for the Canadian Army Reserve. I have interests in all activities, and am a very active member of my community, as I contributed over 10,000 hours of community service volunteer hours over the past seven years to my local Little League Baseball organization. Police, the Military, and Law Enforcement have always been careers that interested me more than anything else. I currently would like to pursue a career as a full-time member of the army, but my main goal prior to joining the military is to finish high school with honours. In the mean time, while completing and studying my high school courses, I would like to become a member of the reserves.

Moving on, I am not aware of any Canadian Military Reserve centre here in Mississauga, but I could be wrong. Is anyone aware of a reserve here in Mississauga?

I wouldn't be able to travel farther than Etobicoke, which is extremely unfortunate, as I only have my G1 license.

If I were to join the reserves, what exactly would that entail? What kind of things would I be doing? What is summer like in the life of a reserve? Is it mandatory to train all 8 weeks?

When I complete High School I would most definitely like to pursue a career in the army, hopefully as a Non-Commissioned Infantry member. I have a desire to make a name for Canada on the map, as my favourite quote of all time is and always has been, â Å“Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country.â ?

Like almost all Canadians, I love my country with a particular pride and passion, and would gladly defend my nation for the social well being of all Canadians, from coast to coast.   :warstory:

It the transition between reserve and full-time army difficult? How does the University program work in Ontario?

I would like to enlist in the army, and attend the Military University, and study a course with regards to sciences or military police. Does anybody know what these programs are like, or know of programs that might interest me (would like to pursue career as police officer following military career)?

My plan is to serve in the military for 20 years, and then retire after serving many years to our great land, and then pursue a career in police.

Any tips or suggestions? How can I prepare for the difficult training I will endure, and what kind of drills will I encounter?

Thank you very much for your support and responses.

Kindest Regards to my fellow Canadians,

A. O'Brien

:salute:

P.S.: I am BRAND NEW to these forums. Any and all detailed assistant would help me greatly. Thank you!

A. O'Brien,

Welcome to the forums.  We hope you will find the information you are looking for regarding the CF and become involved in the discussions.

We usually refer first time posters interested in joining the CF to the recruiting FAQs found here:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Please read through.  You will find many of your questions answered here.  If you have any specific questions after that feel free to ask our members.

Again, welcome and enjoy.

Sounds like a plan to me.  I'm currently in BMQ so I am by no means a veteran but I know a little something of the recruiting process and what BMQ entails.  The nearest recruiting center to you, I believe, is at Sheppeard, in the large, brown Government of Canada building right near the Sheppard subway station.  If that is still to far, you could go directly to the unit you wish to join, or even one that is closer but I'm afraid you will end up going to the building on Sheppard as that is where all the tests are conducted.  
I'm afraid you've missed the winter BMQ so you will be going in the summer, as you said.  I'm not sure if it's conducted consequtively or on weekends (someone will tell you soon, if not on the forums then during the recruiting process).
As for BMQ itself, it is probly 80% mental.  I, myself, have hit physical highs by sheer force of will and motivation which the MCpls and all the staff have taught to us.  But, despite this, I STRONGLY ADVISE you physically prepare for it.  You will start off running 5 km and work your way up to 13km.  You should also work on strength as many pushups and situps are involved.  As for "mandatory to go all 8 weeks", I'm not quite sure what you're refering to but, again, I STRONGLY ADVISE working your life around the CF, not working the CF around your life as you will soon find yourself NES or a civilian.  You sound committed, which is good.  And for when you apply, again this is mental, keep your spirits up.  I can assure you that at 00:30 doing fire piquet or at 05:00 waking up and PT you will hate the army and wonder what the heck you have gotten yourself into but just stick with it because by the time your halfway through PT or have some food in you, you will go back to LOVING the army.  Another piece of advice is to do everything as fast, as correctly, and properly when they tell you to, how they tell you to.  Yet more mental, no matter how much the instructors yell at you, just be aware it is to make you a better soldier, it is ALL necessary and do not take it personal.  If you f*** up then you f*** up, just try more than your best not to do it again and you will do fine.  Also, teamwork is essential, you and your section are buddies, whether you like them or not, you should and will support each other and keep each other going especially if you're section senior, that is integral to getting through BMQ.  That's my probly 3 cents by now.  I'm sure there are many people on this forum who can answer your questions better than I can.  Note:  any questions I did not answer are because I'm not qualified to say.

Update:  Sorry brin, for answering prematurely, you posted while I was typing.  To O'Brian, what I said still applies (I believe) but you will also find much and more of what I said where brin referred you to.

Welcome to the boards! We need more people like you!

As mentioned, get searching.. theres a tonne of information on here!!

welcome to the boards and if you can't find what your looking for just ask I will be glad to help in any way I can :salute:

Hey folks, just thought I'd start something here. I'm 28, just getting around to being fit enough to go to the Infantry and I start thinking...Is 28 too old to join the infantry? Not for health purposes and all that, but from a career standpoint. Lets just say I spend 10 years in the Infantry, I'm 38 with no formal education, how hard would it be to remuster? I don't think I could make until 50 in the infantry, I don't think many do, maybe I'm wrong. I am also looking at armoured and Sig Op's as well. Anyone got any ideas on how my career would progress etc. I think this should bring out some interesting opions.

:cdn:

Naahh - 28 isn't too old. "Too old" is when you just can't keep up. The big worry here is that you say you are "just getting around to being fit..."

The key to the infantry is the ability to drive the body long past what your brain is convinced is the limit. If you can convince your body that it is capable of pushing to new extremes, then you can probably do it.

From a career progression standpoint, one of the key criteria for promotion in any trade is maturity and the ability to handle responsibility - some 18 yr olds have it, and promotion comes quick for them, while others reach CRA at corporal... If you've got what it takes, stick with the infantry plan. Remustering out of a combat arms trade is possible, and probably easier than the other way around (anyone who knows different, speak up!), and the experience you get in "adaptive thinking" and self-management will serve you well, no matter where you go.

Going 50+ in the infantry isn't impossible, if you keep yourself in shape (mental and physical), and if you've got any doubts about that, I know a few of my old CSMs and RSMs who could kick me around the block a few times if I linked age and ability...

Cheers.

LOL, agreed. I don't have a problem with the drive part! I'm just wondering what would happen in civy world, if I retired at 53 (giving me 25 yrs) from the infantry. What would I do in civy land? See what I'm getting at is really there are no transferrable hard skills. Now before anyone jumps on me, I'm on your side, I believe the infantry creates some of the finest people in the world. I'm just wondering, what would I say to IBM as and example..."well, I don't know shit about busines, but if you want see nothing but assholes and elbows moving around this place, then I'm the man!" Ha, that's funny, I can see some crusty WO yelling the bejesus out of some punk programmer  :p
I just love everything the infantry is about, I have a strong desire to serve my country, but realistically, I have to look ahead. Thanks for the input

I joined the reg force at 26, and although it has been a hard slog to catch up, age has not held me back...yet.  Mind you, the new CDS is only 6 years older than me.

He's also an officer, which I presume means he has a degree, something I don't....humm, how hard would it be to get a degree while in the forces, and how hard would it be to get into officer training while doing a degree?

For career advancement and post military applications, that all depends on how long you stay in, and if you take advantage of the many opportunities for self improvment (courses, university education, opme's, second or thrid langauge).   In the end, alot of what you will become as a soldier comes down to what you are willing to do for yourself. Cheers. :cdn:

Island Ryhno said:
He's also an officer, which I presume means he has a degree, something I don't....humm, how hard would it be to get a degree while in the forces, and how hard would it be to get into officer training while doing a degree?

I'm not so sure that I enjoy being spoken of in the third person like that...

And I don't have a degeree, but I am working on it

I didn't mean you PPCLI guy, I meant in response to your CDS comment that HE being CDS Hillier has a degree, hope this clarifies things. Good luck on that degree, I've started mine but it's tough financially to go to school full time. I think in the forces with a good salary that it may be easier to take a chunk of 3 courses or more, we will see!

Back