• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

nickanick said:
Thanks for all the comments guys!

However since I wont be CT till at least 2012-2013, I hope by than the trade will open up  :p
But in the mean time, I really want to equip myself.
What kinda of degree, certification or job experience would put me on to the "top" merit list or waiting list?
For both ASCO and AESOp.
Or just a better chance to get in.

I did research about those jobs from official site,
so I'm hoping for answers that will be more specific.

Thanks again guys!!

Nothing specific for ACSO that I can think of; people have had all sorts of degrees/certifications and have done just fine. 

As an aside, it's ACSO (Air Combat Systems Officer), not ASCO. 

CDN Aviator said:
I also heard that you volunteered to kiss my ***.

No no. You must have me confused with being a MAG crew member. In the AMAG community we have no need for such greetings.  :)

Applied for ACSO. Should be hearing about offers in the next week or so. Fingers crossed. I have heard though that ACSO is still wide open after the first selection. So I'm feeling good. :)

I am looking at ACSO as my first choice right now (I will be applying for DEO next year april when I finish my degree) and I was wondering what to expect on the written tests. I heard it's very math based and that the second part is info on ACSO overall (information on the ACSO trade indepth) that you should know before hand (zero test prep). If anyone here can shed light on the ACSO tests (if you've taken them) that'd be great.

I know there are other topics on this subject but most of them were 200 days or more old (without much information).

airdelta2 said:
...If anyone here can shed light on the ACSO tests (if you've taken them) that'd be great.

I know there are other topics on this subject but most of them were 200 days or more old (without much information).

There's a reason that there is little detail regrading the test...that's because those who took the test are following the direction that they were given to not disclose information regarding the test.

It is likely that the only information you would get from them is that it is rather challenging.  Talk with the Recruiting Centre to get as much information about the test as you can.

Regards
G2G

Yeah, of course I am not looking for some detailed info. It's great that I talked to RC because at least I also now know to research the trade and terms relating to it (that may be on the test).

Study components of Grade 10-11 Math. The CAPSS book that they give you, study it. A handful of things in there do in fact help you. This is what my recruiter told me before I took the test and it did help. Otherwise, like what was posted above, we are not in a position to disclose any details about the exam itself. Good Luck. It is a 3 hour test but when they let you know that you passed it is such a great feeling!

SeaKingTacco said:
AESOp is a trade normally  open to both Direct Entry and Component Transfer/Remuster candidates.

The problem is, as Cdn Aviator has pointed out, the trade is full (or more precisely, the training pipeline is full).  Therefore, for now, no Direct Entry candidates.

I am going to be taking the ACSO aptitude test in 2012 (when I graduate), hopefully there's some spots for DEO then.

I did the ACSO testing about 14 months ago.  Don't worry, don't panic, don't psych yourself up over it.  Just read the guide and review high school math.  My only regret is that I never went back and reviewed my highschool math.

The CAPSS guide (if you're going to Trenton).  Many times the pilot and ACSO trades are tested at the same time. If you're just writing the paper test at your own CFRC don't worry about any guide.

Would going into Private Jet Ground School help the test or even the application of being an ASCO?

It wouldn't harm you at all, but is by no means necessary, and many people might consider that overboard in regards to preparation for that ACSO test. But I guess if you want ACSO bad enough, no preparation is too much.

Practice high school math, be familiar with how lat/longs work (base 60), familiarity with basic aircraft instruments and how to read them, and how to look up information in tables quickly.

That's all I can think of, it's not a hard test by any means, but it's not easy either.
Any other questions about the trade, shoot me a PM.

many have told me that If I become a pilot in the CF, I have a 25% chance of becoming Fastjet pilot, 25% chance of becoming a multi-engine pilot and 50% chance of being a rotorcraft pilot...these seem to be the stats that most will tell me , but what about the ACSO's what chances do they have of being in a sea king/cyclone? how about Hercules? or aurora? and what are the chances that one would be posted to an electronic warfare squadron? or fly a UAV?

Just a random question...

When on course at 1 CFFTS are you able to play on the competitive (regional/national) base hockey team given you may miss some games and practices for obvious reasons? Or does the fact that you are on course make you ineligible to play? On that note...dare I ask, is there even a base hockey team in Winnipeg?  ???  All I could find online was a team called the 402 Bears, but there is nothing to prove that this team is still going...

Dou You,

It would be highly inadvisable for you to play higher level competitive sports while a student at 1 CFFTS.  Firstly, if you get hurt, you may well get recoursed or even face reclassification or release, if the injury is severe enough.  Secondly, it will be very unlikely that you will be given permission to attend regionals or nationals, as the course schedule comes first.  If you are given permission to go, training for your course mates also stops while you are gone- this obviously problematic. 

1CFFTS has faced very uncomfortable pressure in the past to allow students to attend CISM sports events.  To allow it, always impacts training delivery and course graduation dates.

Thank you for the quick and informative reply. Although I love playing competitive hockey, it isn't worth the risk like you mentioned.

I guess I will just have to live my hockey life vicariously through the players on the Winnipeg Jets...

To add further amplification - this is very much true at all the FTS' around the CF.  As Course Director I would get the occasional CISM/team request - all of these I turned down.  When you are in training you should only have one thing on your mind - getting your Wings.  All else is secondary and thus not important.

just out of curiousity, what kind of math exactly? trig, calc, functions? 

Rach :yellow:

Back