• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Combat Systems Officer ( ACSO )

Dombi

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have applied in August for ACSO. Everything is going well. My medical is at Borden waiting for that doctor to sign my files. While waiting, my girlfriend begun to be scared about me joining in. I am looking for information that may reassure her. Anyone knows the average length of an ACSO mission ? Is it in days or months like in the navy ? How often do you have to leave your family to do missions ? She doesn't want to be alone half of the year (and I understand her point of view on that).

Do you have reasons or benefits for military wives/girlfriend to be happy with this decision ? I admit that I can't find many reasons for her to be enthusiastic about this new life.  :-\

Thank you for your help!

Dombi

There is some discussion of ACSO in this thread. You may, or you may not, find it to be of interest.:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/84427/post-818186#msg818186

It somewhat depends on what airframe you wind up flying on.  Maritime helicopter guys probably deploy the most on average, but it will also depend if you get other deployments (such as Afghanistan or a UN deployment) which you can get no matter what airframe you're on.  A buddy of mine on Sea Kings was away from home for more than a year in his first 2 years on squadron (14 months I think).  Guys who go SAR probably deploy less frequently and for much shorter periods of time.  Auroras are probably somewhere in the middle.   

Hi,

I'm in the ROTP program and just got told I was going on SOT this summer.  I'm going to Trenton, Shearwater and Greenwood and wanted to know what to expect on SOT.  Is there any flying time or is it mostly seeing squadron life.  What are the days on SOT like?  I read the CF website on the training but I'd like to know what someone who's done it thought of it.

Also when ACSO's do BANC and are on the grob, who's instructing?  Is it a pilot, since I'm pretty sure the grob is a 2 seater, one for the trainee and someone has to fly the plane....

The flying instructor is flying and instructing during the low-level nav phase of the course.  They will all be Ph1 QFI's employed by Allied Wings.  If you are lucky, they might let you touch the stick.

SOT is great you will get a lot of flying and drinking at every base.

Hi, new to the forums and just signed up to ask a quick question.

About a year ago I signed up at my local recruiting centre, and by the time all my medicals were in and everything was approved they ran out of open spots for my trades.  Those were artillery officer, and ACSO.  About a week ago, however, I got a call from my recruiter, who offered me my choice of either career path.  The problem is that I was under the assumption last year when I was going through selection that ACSO was an aircrew trade, and that I would have to go to the aircrew centre for training, which I have never done.  He assured me this was not necessary and only a process that was used for pilots.  So I accepted the offer for ACSO, and he told me my confirmation ceremony would be coming up this august 25th, and I would leave for St. Jean on September 4th.

I have been reading through these forums in the meantime, and it seems from what I am reading that I very much so skipped a step and I don't want to get a call a few months down the line saying that my offer is rescinded.  I'm currently up in a forestry camp in BC and unable to reach my recruiter in Calgary for another few weeks, so I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help enlighten me as to whether or not there was a mistake on the part of the recruiting centre, or if I'm just reading into things and being paranoid.

Thanks for your help and responses

ACSO testing is 3 written tests. It is done at the aircrew testing center after all the pilot testing is done (as most people who fail pilot testing attempt ACSO) However ACSO testing can be done at the recruiting center as well. It does not HAVE to be done at aircrew, it just usually is.

Amyrin said:
I'm currently up in a forestry camp in BC and unable to reach my recruiter in Calgary for another few weeks....
You posted here, so you have internet -- trust me, you do.

Calgary, although still clinging to the 20th-century, actually has internet and running water now.

Why not send the recruiter an email and ask?

Thank you so much.  That definitely takes a lot off my chest.

For the second comment, I generally prefer to talk to recruiters in person instead of email, though I also wanted to get some information from people who have gone through the process and could shed some light on it, whereas the recruiting centre has told me two different things concerning the ACSO careerpath.

Journeyman said:
Calgary, although still clinging to the 20th-century, actually has internet and running water now.

Not sure where you are from, but in Calgary they have labor laws and offices usually aren't open until 10pm... they must be real slave drivers where you are from.

Well that's another crazy thing about email; Amyrin could send it off now....or in an hour or two....and it would be sitting there, magically, for the recruiter to read in the morning.

Email is just no respecter of banker's hours  ;)

You don't do any aircrew training before going to basic. The only pre-requisite for the ACSO trade is passing the Nav written test.

DexOlesa said:
ACSO testing is 3 written tests. It is done at the aircrew testing center after all the pilot testing is done (as most people who fail pilot testing attempt ACSO) However ACSO testing can be done at the recruiting center as well. It does not HAVE to be done at aircrew, it just usually is.

Can any recruiters confirm this?

Thank you.

Thank you for clarifying. I only asked because I just spoke with a recruiter and was given information stating otherwise.

Cheers.

I'm going by my own ACS experience and from working with a bunch of ACSOs who never went there.

ACSO-only applicants would be done by 1130am on day one of ACS..........would be a waste to send them there to do something that can be done anywhere else.

Hi, this is my first post. Please forgive my lack of knowledge of whatever it is happening at the moment.
I'm wondering how long of training would require to be able to join the ACSO?
What would you say the difficulty to be a ACSO comparing to enrolling into the Pilot?

Currently, I'm in my last stage of screening and will be joining the artillery reserve unit.
However, in 2012 after I graduate from university, regular force ASCO will be my path according my plan.
Would the skills in the reserve benefit myself when the selection in Airforce?

Thx for your time! :)

Back